Ping Tony

Old September 2nd 17, 05:21 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

Default Ping Tony

https://wattsupwiththat.com/2017/09/...irma-now-cat3/
or http://tinyurl.com/y97s2y2u

Eric Stevens
Old September 2nd 17, 06:47 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On Sep 1, 2017, Tony Cooper wrote
(in ):

On Sat, 02 Sep 2017 16:21:31 +1200, Eric Stevens
wrote:

https://wattsupwiththat.com/2017/09/...ve-rainfall-an
d-winds-in-hurricane-irma-now-cat3/
or http://tinyurl.com/y97s2y2u

We don't know, yet, if Irma will visit this area.

The last hurricane to affect us directly was Charley in 2004. This is
my front yard after Charley:

https://photos.smugmug.com/AUE-Temp/...-08-16-04-X3.j
pg

I was sitting on my screened-in porch (just barely in the frame at the
left) and watched those trees come down.

My son and grandson sitting on one of the trees:

https://photos.smugmug.com/AUE-Temp/...4-08-16-10.jpg

No damage to the house, but the bill to have the trees cut up and
taken away was considerable.

We were without power for several days after Charley. We're on a
well, so no water without power. We pulled buckets of water out of
the pool to flush the toilets.

There is no flood danger where we live. We live on a golf course, and
the open areas absorb the heavy rains. The water hazards fill up and
overflow, but the sandy soil drains well. And, our house is at the
top of a rise.

If you live in Florida, hurricanes are a fact of life.

I have experienced three Hurricanes, the first was at sea on board a
freighter (Farrell Lines, African Comet) off Cape Hatteras in 1971. That was,
to say the least, an exciting experience in unbelievable seas. I spent most
of the night we were in the worst of it on the bridge and in the radio shack.
Two days later we docked safely in Brooklyn, just under the Brooklyn Bridge.
http://www.wellandcanal.ca/salties/a/africancomet/comet.jpg

The second was Hurricane Agnes in 1972, or I should say the tail end of Agnes
which dumped a massive amount of rain on UpState and Western NY. I was caught
driving from Binghamton to Syracuse in zero visibility with rivers of water
flowing over the highway. I had one scary aquaplaning spinout, and I was
lucky not to hit anything. I got home to Syracuse much later than I had
planned, but I made it. In Syracuse I lived below the hill where the
University is located, and we had rivers flowing down to our street for
several days.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hurricane_Agnes

Then in 1985, I was on the road again in Norwalk, CT when Hurricane Gloria
hit the East Coast, and that was another rain fest. There were major storm
warnings there, on Long Island, and further East all the way through New
England. So I made a run from there, North-West to find refuge with a friend
at Mt. Kisco, NY.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hurricane_Gloria

Savageduck

Old September 2nd 17, 10:33 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

https://photos.smugmug.com/AUE-Temp/...8-16-04-X3.jpg

I was sitting on my screened-in porch (just barely in the frame at the
left) and watched those trees come down.

My son and grandson sitting on one of the trees:

https://photos.smugmug.com/AUE-Temp/...4-08-16-10.jpg

No damage to the house, but the bill to have the trees cut up and
taken away was considerable.

We were without power for several days after Charley. We're on a
well, so no water without power. We pulled buckets of water out of
the pool to flush the toilets.

There is no flood danger where we live. We live on a golf course, and
the open areas absorb the heavy rains. The water hazards fill up and
overflow, but the sandy soil drains well. And, our house is at the
top of a rise.

If you read the comments you would see they are talking about an 11'
tidal surge.

Old September 2nd 17, 05:15 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_6_]

wrote:

[...]

What? no pictures during the hurricane?

--
PeterN
Old September 2nd 17, 06:07 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On Sep 2, 2017, PeterN wrote
(in article ):

https://wattsupwiththat.com/2017/09/...sive-rainfall-

https://photos.smugmug.com/AUE-Temp/...004-08-16-04-X

https://photos.smugmug.com/AUE-Temp/...04-08-16-10.jp

[...]

I was driving.

Savageduck

Old September 2nd 17, 06:36 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Alan Browne

On 2017-09-02 01:06, Tony Cooper wrote:

We were without power for several days after Charley. We're on a
well, so no water without power.

If you're in an area prone to power failures an emergency generator
(2000W or more continuous) can easily drive a well pump as deep as 300
feet. Though if it's a 3 phase pump then that may need a larger
generator as the small ones tend to be 1 phase.

--
"Natural stupidity can wreak far more havoc
than artificial intelligence..."
Old September 2nd 17, 06:43 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Alan Browne

On 2017-09-02 01:06, Tony Cooper wrote:

We were without power for several days after Charley.Â* We're on a
well, so no water without power.

If you're in an area prone to power failures an emergency generator
(2000W or more continuous) can easily drive a well pump as deep as 300
feet.Â* Though if it's a 3 phase pump then that may need a larger
generator as the small ones tend to be 1 phase.

Sorry - should have said 3-wire (240VAC single phase).

Old September 2nd 17, 07:26 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On Sep 2, 2017, Alan Browne wrote
(in ):

On 2017-09-02 01:06, Tony Cooper wrote:

We were without power for several days after Charley. We're on a
well, so no water without power.

If you're in an area prone to power failures an emergency generator
(2000W or more continuous) can easily drive a well pump as deep as 300
feet. Though if it's a 3 phase pump then that may need a larger
generator as the small ones tend to be 1 phase.

That is a pretty good suggestion for Tony.
Even out here in California I find that my 18 year old Honda EU3000 has
proven to be a useful home emergency accessory. I have been bailed out by my
generator during long power outages 4-6 times per year, some years more. The
darn thing just runs without complaint.

My Honda EU3000.
http://powerequipment.honda.com/generators/models/eu3000is

Savageduck

Old September 2nd 17, 10:56 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Davoud

Tony Cooper:
We were without power for several days after Charley. We're on a
well, so no water without power.

Alan Browne:
If you're in an area prone to power failures an emergency generator
(2000W or more continuous) can easily drive a well pump as deep as 300
feet. Though if it's a 3 phase pump then that may need a larger
generator as the small ones tend to be 1 phase.

We also rely on a well for our water. After Superstorm Sandy we had a
20 kw propane-fueled Siemens generator installed. The gas supplier
buried a 500-gallon propane tank underground. Best move we ever made.

They call these things "whole-house" generators. In fact, 20 kw will
not power our entire house, but it handles all of the essentials:
water, kitchen appliances, lighting, Verizon FIOS, cooling, and minimal
heating (electric heat pump). We turn off as many things as we can when
the genny is running; four of the six Macs, all but one laser printer,
no excess lighting. We reckon we have sufficient fuel for five days
without replenishment, but we have only had two rely on it for a few
hours at a time to date. Still, we consider it to have been a very good
investment.

I don't know of any home well pumps that are 3-phase; indeed, 3-phase
is not used in the average U.S. home.

you will say in your entire life.

usenet *at* davidillig dawt cawm
Old September 3rd 17, 06:05 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Alan Browne

On 2017-09-02 17:56, Davoud wrote:
Tony Cooper:
[...]

I'm pretty sure 500 gallons of propane @ 20 kWe will last more than 5
days. Much more if you could collect the waste heat too...

91000 BTU/gallon = 96010460 j = 26.7 kWh (thermal)

Assume 25% efficiency for a normally aspirated combustion engine at peak
efficiency. (Conservative).

475 x 26.7 x 0.25 = 3167 kWh or 6.6 days at full output. But your load
would usually be less.

(475 is my guess of how much propane you'd actually get out).

And of course you wouldn't be running it at 20 kV continuously.

However, the shame of it is the waste heat that's not captured for house
and water heating. (Correct me if I'm wrong).

You could vent the cooling air to the heatpump air intake, that would
dramatically improve the heat pump capture - less power used from the gen.

If they are located close together it may be worth talking to your local
HVAC guy. A little insulated ducting goes a long way in this case. In
the summer you would not vent into the HP, obviously.

without replenishment, but we have only had two rely on it for a few
hours at a time to date. Still, we consider it to have been a very good
investment.

20 kW is my furnace alone, though I could disconnect 1 or 2 elements to
down rate it to 15 or 10 kW - would just run longer.

CHP generators are very affordable. More popular in Europe I believe.

example: http://www.enertwin.com/

Would be marginally sufficient for my house for short duration failures
(48 hours or so) in the winter. OTOH, given the low cost of NG these
days I wonder if it would be cheaper than my electric bill. (we have
very cheap electricity here...) But no NG in the street. Would cost
$60K to bring a gas line to the house...

I don't know of any home well pumps that are 3-phase; indeed, 3-phase
is not used in the average U.S. home.

See my correction to my post. I meant to write "3 wire" as some
submerged pumps use (240 VAC).