Thom Hogan

Old November 25th 05, 05:54 AM posted to rec.photo.digital

Default Thom Hogan

Hello All,

The subject person writes guides to various camera's and his excursions in
the pursuit of photography trips. I have briefly examined his web site and
have access to one of his e-books on a camera model not related to my DSLR.

If anyone here has purchased his e-books, please comment on them, did they
help you understand your camera better, well written, good descriptions,
etc. If you were not pleased let me know that as well and if possible why
it was not your cup of tea?

Thank you in advance.

Monty

Old November 25th 05, 07:13 AM posted to rec.photo.digital

On Thu, 24 Nov 2005 21:54:35 -0800, "Monty X"
wrote:

Hello All,

The subject person writes guides to various camera's and his excursions in
the pursuit of photography trips. I have briefly examined his web site and
have access to one of his e-books on a camera model not related to my DSLR.

If anyone here has purchased his e-books, please comment on them, did they
help you understand your camera better, well written, good descriptions,
etc. If you were not pleased let me know that as well and if possible why
it was not your cup of tea?

Thank you in advance.

Monty

I haven't actually read one of his books. but ...

I tried to buy a copy of the Nikon Field Guide, which is unfortunately
out of print. If you go on Amazon, people are selling _used_ copies
for upwards of $100. I forget the new book price, but it was about
$20-$25.

That should tell you something.

However, he focuses on Nikon cameras and lenses. Check out his web
site: www.bythom.com.

Hope this helps.

Father Kodak

Old November 25th 05, 01:10 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

Excellent resources with lots of in-depth information, suggested settings,
etc. There are also some extra features, like Photoshop actions. I have
the ebooks for the D70 and the S2Pro.

Old November 26th 05, 03:56 AM posted to rec.photo.digital

I have his ebook on the D70. I thought it was very well written. He
explains things very well and offers a lot of insights that are not in
the manual. For example, he reviews third party software and goes into
a lot more detail about caring for the camera. He also tells you what
lenses work better than others, and which ones will improve 35mm film
but not pictures taken with the D70. In other words he lets you know
when you are buying more resolution than your camera can handle.

Old November 26th 05, 02:10 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

wrote:

Hello All,

The subject person writes guides to various camera's and his excursions in
the pursuit of photography trips. I have briefly examined his web site and
have access to one of his e-books on a camera model not related to my DSLR.

If anyone here has purchased his e-books, please comment on them, did they
help you understand your camera better, well written, good descriptions,
etc. If you were not pleased let me know that as well and if possible why
it was not your cup of tea?

Thank you in advance.

Monty

Quite useful in my view. I have his guides for the Fuji S2 and the
Nikon D2X. Both are clearer and more thorough than the Nikon manuals.
Old December 2nd 05, 06:43 AM posted to rec.photo.digital

Today I received the e-book. I have had time to read 23 pages, and I am a
believer, his descriptions on topics are right on the money. He writes in a
way that takes a complicated subject and breaks it down so anyone could
understand. He is also honest about what is "wrong" with the D70s and gives
you help on how to correct those problems.

Great manual, it's 581 printed pages at 5.5X8.

This is the only other book you would need besides the owners manual.

Puts the magic lantern guides to shame. Great companion for the D70s DVD
though.

MontyX