B&W film question

Old October 14th 04, 10:09 AM
Robert Vervoordt

On Wed, 13 Oct 2004 10:23:04 -0500, Frank Pittel
wrote:

Robert Vervoordt wrote:
: I told you I'd be watching you. Couldn't help yourself, could you?

I thank you for it. :-) I've been thinking about what it is that we're trying
to accomplish. I don't believe that the goal is to get rid of him.

Perhaps not, but I'd take that if I couldn't get anything better.
Hmm, is there anything better?

I think that
it's an attempt to change his behavior. The best way to do that is to reward him
when he behaves himself and to punish him when he misbehaves. I was simply rewarding
him for his good behavior.

That's noble of you. Nobility should be recognized and rewarded.

Of course he reacts by starting a troll thread about typewriters.

Some reward! Consistent, to say the least; I just did.

: On Tue, 12 Oct 2004 18:56:55 -0500, Frank Pittel
: wrote:

: Uranium Committee wrote:
: : "Reany" wrote in message ...
: : My darkroom has been packed away for many years. I'm setting it back up
: : again and I want advice on film. I used to use Kodak panatomic-x. What
: : film would you recommend as a substitute?
: :
: : Thanks
: : Gary
:
: : Several good choices:
:
: : Ilford Pan-F Plus, ISO 50. Try it in Paterson Acutol 1+19 for 8
: : minutes @ 20C/68F.
:
: A very good film but with the financialSP? issues that Ilford is having
: it may not last long even if Ilford survives.
:
: : Fotokemika KB 25 (same as the former Adox KB14). Very contrasty. Try
: : it in Paterson Acutol 1+22 for 7,5 minutes @ 20C/68F.
:
: I've met people that like it a lot but have never had any luck with it.
:
: : Ilford Delta 100. Try it in Paterson FX-39 1+19 for 7,5 minutes @
: : 20C/68F. This would be my choice.
:
: I spent a lot of time using Delta-100 this spring and like it a lot. I
: developed it with Iloford's DDX developer diluted 1:9 at 75F. Great tonality
: very good shadow detail and highlights that didn't block up.
:
: : Kodak T-Max 100 is also supposed to be good, but I don't like it.
:
: My personal opinion of Tmax-100 is that it's finest B&W film on the market.
: For sheet film I develop it with Tmax-RS at 75F diluted 1:9 and for roll
: film I develop it with Tmax at 75F diluted 1:9.
:
: I know a couple of people that use Bergger film developed in Pyro. I've seen the
: prints they make from it and they're excellent. I've seen 11x14 prints made from
: 35mm Bergger developed in Pyro and my first thought was that it was grainy 4x5 or
: very good 6x4.5.

Robert Vervoordt, MFA
Old October 14th 04, 10:09 AM
Robert Vervoordt

On Thu, 14 Oct 2004 00:21:23 -0500, John
wrote:

On Wed, 13 Oct 2004 21:11:26 GMT, Gregory W Blank
wrote:

Its like idiots that wave a biscuit in front of a dog,...only to
pull it from the dogs mouth at the last minute.....then they cry
when the dog bites them.

Best way to teach a dog not to bite is to bite them first.

Well a thumb, forcefully jammed in under the togue is effective. It
works with young dogs very well . This one is an old dog, so it might
not be effective. Can you afford to spare a thumb?

Regards,

John S. Douglas, Photographer - http://www.puresilver.org
Please remove the "_" when replying via email

Robert Vervoordt, MFA

Old October 14th 04, 01:56 PM
Donald Qualls

wrote:

Its like idiots that wave a biscuit in front of a dog,...only to
pull it from the dogs mouth at the last minute.....then they cry
when the dog bites them.

Best way to teach a dog not to bite is to bite them first.

That, I'm afraid, depends on the dog. A pit bull will just learn to
bite faster and harder...

--
I may be a scwewy wabbit, but I'm not going to Alcatwaz!
-- E. J. Fudd, 1954

Donald Qualls, aka The Silent Observer
Lathe Building Pages http://silent1.home.netcom.com/HomebuiltLathe.htm
Speedway 7x12 Lathe Pages http://silent1.home.netcom.com/my7x12.htm

and don't expect them to be perfect.
Old October 14th 04, 03:44 PM
jjs

"John" wrote in message

Best way to teach a dog not to bite is to bite them first.

True. Do it early. As one who until recently had a 185 pound Great Pyrenees
livestock guardian... but I digress.

Old October 14th 04, 03:44 PM
jjs

Old October 14th 04, 03:45 PM
jjs

"Donald Qualls" wrote in message
. com...
Best way to teach a dog not to bite is to bite them first.

That, I'm afraid, depends on the dog. A pit bull will just learn to bite
faster and harder...

A pitbull-like dog responds very well to a .45ACP behind the ear. Once.

Old October 14th 04, 04:43 PM
Frank Pittel

jjs wrote:
: "Donald Qualls" wrote in message
: . com...
: Best way to teach a dog not to bite is to bite them first.
:
: That, I'm afraid, depends on the dog. A pit bull will just learn to bite
: faster and harder...

: A pitbull-like dog responds very well to a .45ACP behind the ear. Once.

I've known people that have had and others that have pitbulls and they are by nature
the sweetest and friendliest dogs I've ever known. Of course the ones I've known weren't
attack trained.

To blame an attack trained dog to do what it was trained is a lot like blaming the gun
when a person gets shot.

-------------------

Old October 14th 04, 05:05 PM
Frank Pittel

: wrote:

: Robert Vervoordt wrote:
: : I told you I'd be watching you. Couldn't help yourself, could you?
:
: I thank you for it. :-) I've been thinking about what it is that we're trying
: to accomplish. I don't believe that the goal is to get rid of him.

: Perhaps not, but I'd take that if I couldn't get anything better.

That should be the last resort.

: Hmm, is there anything better?

Having Scarpitti a well behaved contributor to the newsgroup. While I don't agree with
most of what scarpitti has to say about much of anything I do know for example people
that don't care for the Zone System and are quick to say so. Although the two of us have
"debated" the use and effectiveness" of the Zone System he's never called me a nazi or
moron. Although I can't understand why there are people here on this newsgroup and people
I personally know that not only disagree with me that Tmax-100 is the finest film on the
market. A number of them actually think the film stinks. Although we've discussed(?) it
we've never got to the point of insulting each other.

As you may have noticed I enjoy a good debate (The operative word being "good".) and don't
think that we all have agree. I for one have learned a lot from a number of the debates
I've been involved in here.

: I think that
: it's an attempt to change his behavior. The best way to do that is to reward him
: when he behaves himself and to punish him when he misbehaves. I was simply rewarding
: him for his good behavior.

: That's noble of you. Nobility should be recognized and rewarded.

The prefered reward method is large amounts of cash sent to me in small bills. :-)

:
: Of course he reacts by starting a troll thread about typewriters.

: Some reward! Consistent, to say the least; I just did.

He's getting better.

: : wrote:
:
: : Uranium Committee wrote:
: : : "Reany" wrote in message ...
: : : My darkroom has been packed away for many years. I'm setting it back up
: : : again and I want advice on film. I used to use Kodak panatomic-x. What
: : : film would you recommend as a substitute?
: : :
: : : Thanks
: : : Gary
: :
: : : Several good choices:
: :

Old October 14th 04, 05:20 PM
Robert Vervoordt

On Thu, 14 Oct 2004 10:43:29 -0500, Frank Pittel
wrote:

jjs wrote:
: "Donald Qualls" wrote in message
: . com...
: Best way to teach a dog not to bite is to bite them first.
:
: That, I'm afraid, depends on the dog. A pit bull will just learn to bite
: faster and harder...

: A pitbull-like dog responds very well to a .45ACP behind the ear. Once.

I've known people that have had and others that have pitbulls and they are by nature
the sweetest and friendliest dogs I've ever known. Of course the ones I've known weren't
attack trained.

To blame an attack trained dog to do what it was trained is a lot like blaming the gun
when a person gets shot.

Right on. I once saw a lapdog Doberman. Go figure.

Still, it comes down to what are we doing about the nameless one?
Frank, is the reward for your nice behavior enough?

Robert Vervoordt, MFA