Ilford 120 Pan F

Old September 22nd 04, 10:54 PM
ATIPPETT

Default Ilford 120 Pan F

I am switching from Tri-X to Pan F.

My early results are really sharp also really contrasty.

I am shoting 120 Pan F at ISO 50.
Developed in D76 1:1 for 10:30 minutes.

I have not tried ISO of 25 yet but I would like to first deal with the
contrast.

I welcome suggestions, and or comments.
Thanks for any input.
Alan Tippett

Old September 23rd 04, 06:07 PM
Richard Knoppow

"ATIPPETT" wrote in message
I am switching from Tri-X to Pan F.

My early results are really sharp also really contrasty.

I am shoting 120 Pan F at ISO 50.
Developed in D76 1:1 for 10:30 minutes.

I have not tried ISO of 25 yet but I would like to first
deal with the
contrast.

I welcome suggestions, and or comments.
Thanks for any input.
Alan Tippett

Contrast is a matter of development time. Ilford's
developing chart times are for contrast intermediate between
diffusion and contact printing, that is, the will be about
half a paper grade off for either, not a big deal. Changing
development time by about 30% will change negative contrast
by about one paper grade. It will also change speed by about
3/4 stop.
I am not sure if you are indicating that you have tried
times from 10 minutes to 30 minutes or if you are developing
for 10-1/2 minutes. If the latter try going down to about 7
minutes and shoot at EI-25.
Be careful of temperature. While B&W is not as critical
as color the temperature should be within about 1 degree F
of the chart temperature for predictable results. Agitation
method also affects contrast. Generally time/temperature
charts specify the agitation used to generate them. Ilford
roll film charts usually specify 10 seconds of agitation
every minute for small tanks while Kodak charts specify 5
seconds every 10 seconds. The difference between these is
not large but is significant enough to take into account if
you are not getting the results you expect.

--
---
Richard Knoppow

Old September 23rd 04, 08:44 PM
Ralf R. Radermacher

ATIPPETT wrote:

I am switching from Tri-X to Pan F.

I'm afraid you're a tad late, mate...

This month's "Réponses Photo" features an interview with the marketing
director of Ilford France. He claims that film and photographic paper
production will continue, although with a reduced product range.

He explicitly states that the following film products will be axed:

- all sheet film (!!)
- Pan F
- SFX 200

Production of the other film types is said to continue. This includes
120 roll film.

On the paper side, we'll have to do without Ilfobrom Gallery, the
Cooltone and Portfolio versions of Multigrade, as well as some grades of
Ilfospeed.

Ralf

--
Ralf R. Radermacher - DL9KCG - Köln/Cologne, Germany
private homepage: http://www.fotoralf.de

Old September 23rd 04, 09:38 PM
LR Kalajainen

Sounds like a reasonable compromise to me given Ilford's financial woes.
Of course, since I use none of the discontinued items, it's not my ox
being gored. Tell me they're cancelling Delta 400 or HP5+ or Multigrade
Warmtone and I'll scream along with everyone else.