Still not here

Old September 4th 04, 03:11 AM
st3ph3nm

"William Graham" wrote in message news:F%3_c.233262$8_6.48377@attbi_s04...
"Alan Browne" wrote in message
.. .
William Graham wrote:

"st3ph3nm" wrote in message
om...

[sigh]

I'm still waiting for that Olympus XA to show up...

Anyone had anything shipped from Europe to Australia (or vice versa)?

How long should it take?

Well, there's storms and pirates, and scurvy and mutaneers...........

And really scary stuff like union negotiated coffee breaks.

And denizens of the deep......Let us not forget those.......

LOL! Thanks guys!

Is it possible that during a union negotiated coffee break, a
scurvy-ridden pirate was attacked by storm, summoned by a denizen of
the deep which then swallowed my camera?

Or am I reaching?

Cheers,
Steve
Old September 4th 04, 05:00 PM
Alan Browne

st3ph3nm wrote:

Is it possible that during a union negotiated coffee break, a
scurvy-ridden pirate was attacked by storm, summoned by a denizen of
the deep which then swallowed my camera?

Or they hit the "Here be dragons" region.

Old September 6th 04, 10:14 AM
Ken Nadvornick

"st3ph3nm" wrote:

I like it! Thanks.

Actually, I'm the one who should be thanking you. You've been very gracious
with your comments regarding a couple of my SI photographs. I'm very
grateful.

It's funny, isn't it, when you're used to working to that
rule of thumb with SLR's of trying not to have a slower
shutter speed than 1/(focal length) of a second, to see
what you can do when you've got a nice wide lens and no
mirror movement.

I've found by examining my SLR negatives under high magnification that for
me the optimum shutter speed is actually one stop faster than the inverse of
the focal length. In other words, 1/125 sec for a normal lens. The
additional sharpness gained is dramatic, although much of those gains are
lost in the printing process - even when I do it myself.

To increase my low-light capabilities, I sometimes carry along one of those
ultra-cheap (not inexpensive, *really cheap*) table-top tripods that
telescope down to about 6-inch legs. They're usually sold as "digital"
tripods. (But they have three legs. Hmm...) They're way to feeble to
mount my F2's upright, but are excellent when left attached and used to hand
brace the camera sideways to walls, posts or any other handy vertical
objects. And they do support the tiny XA with ease.

Mountain lions!?! Hmmm... Here in Australia, we don't
contend with anything in the way of large predators.
Instead, we just have to make sure we don't let some
of the most venomous creatures known to man share our
sleeping bags.

Heh, heh... As an ex-field geologist, I understand that all too well.

A few years ago my son and I found mountain lion ("cougar") tracks down by
the stream behind our house. I told him and his friend to stop going out
after dusk trying to look like energy bars...

(sigh - still waiting...)

If it's in good working order, I don't think you'll be disappointed. Have
you seen this site yet?

http://www.diaxa.com/xa/xastart.htm

As a 24-year user of this camera, I'd agree with *most* of the subjective
opinions offered. Mine has never needed servicing, has never had a CLA and
has never failed to function perfectly.

Ken

Old September 7th 04, 09:20 PM
Bandicoot

"st3ph3nm" wrote in message
om...
"Ken Nadvornick" wrote in message

[SNIP]

Mountain lions!?! Hmmm... Here in Australia, we don't contend with
anything in the way of large predators. Instead, we just have to make
sure we don't let some of the most venomous creatures known to man
share our sleeping bags.

Oh, I dunno - there can be an upside to letting a woman into your sleeping
bag...

Peter