?? Classic Automobile Photography ??

Old August 25th 04, 10:51 PM
Rich Pos

On Wed, 25 Aug 2004 11:41:09 GMT, "Basic Wedge"
wrote:

I once observed a photographer accidentally put a huge scratch down the side
of a classic car with the sharp tip of his monopod. My advice: keep anything
sharp or pointy away from the cars - you don't want to see how protective
some of the owners can be!

Thanks Rob for opening that can 'o worms..... I'm doomed.

RPŠ

Old August 26th 04, 07:53 PM
Rupert

Rich Pos wrote in message . ..
Will be attending the Auburn-Cord-Dusenburg Festival and auction Labor
day weekend.
http://www.acdfestival.org/index.asp
Seeing how I've never shot classic automobiles I am asking if anyone
can give a few pointers or links so I have a decent chance to capture
some nice photos. Have looked at some web sites and I really like the
shots of isolated sections of the cars.

The main problem I see is that most of the events will be taking place
under harsh mid-day sun so I guess fill flash and/or polarizer will be
essential.

Any comments on this type of photography will be appreciated.

Planning on bringing a 20mm, 50mm, 135mm and maybe a 35-105 zoom....
shooting 100 speed color film. As always, my mangled tripod will be
along for the ride.

Thanks for any suggestions.

RPŠ

No real advice, but I grew up in Auburn, Indiana and I will always
love that place. It amazes me how big the festival has become over the
years. When I was a kid I didn't think it was a big deal to see a
Chord or Deusenburg driving down the road- it happened all the time.

If you've never been there before, you will be amazed by all the
immaculate cars to photograph. Be sure to go to the museum.
-Matt Rupert
Old August 26th 04, 07:56 PM
Rupert

Rich Pos wrote in message . ..
On Wed, 25 Aug 2004 03:06:08 GMT, "Bob Hickey"
wrote:

"Rich Pos" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

I wouldn't worry about the flash too much, it would prolly just turn into
more glare anyway. But def a polarizer. And take all the lenses as you never
know how far away the ropes, if any, might be. I've gotten best luck w/ a
slightly short lens. Nice perspective without distortion. Some slower film
too, to get the strongest color and the widest f stop for more isolation. I
try to get as close as possible and use the car to frame out people.
Bob Hickey.

Hey Bob, how it goes.

Thanks for the suggestion. I don't believe anything will be roped off
but probably will be a good size crowd.
I guess what I'll ultimately be doing is trying everything
Film is cheap.

Regards,

RPŠ

It all depends on where you go. Try to catch the Saturday morning
parade if you can- its awesome to see and hear those cars driving.
After they parade all the cars will be parked around the courthouse
square- an excellent opportunity to get some shots. The auction (at
Kruse auction park) has every car you can ever imagine, but if you
want to get some quality shots, go to the museum and the courthouse
square.

If you have any questions feel free to email me:

I grew up in Auburn and still go back for the event...