Pentax dumps medium format

Old May 9th 07, 10:17 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
RichA

Default Pentax dumps medium format

The poor 645 digital never saw the light of day...

:http://
http://www.nni.nikkei.co.jp/

Thursday, May 10, 2007 3:20 a.m. (JST)

Pentax To Sell Tokyo HQ, Quit Low-Profit Ops To Lift Corp Value

TOKYO (Nikkei)--Pentax Corp. (7750) plans to sell its Tokyo
headquarters and withdraw from less profitable businesses under
strategies the camera maker has crafted to block a takeover bid by
optical glass manufacturer Hoya Corp. (7741), The Nikkei learned
Wednesday.
the text of the article includes this statement -

"On top of this, Pentax will continue to overhaul less profitable
businesses. It will abandon the development of medium-format single-
lens reflex cameras designed for professional photographers and
specialize in digital SLR offerings for new and intermediate users."

Old May 9th 07, 10:39 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Peter Chant

RichA wrote:

"On top of this, Pentax will continue to overhaul less profitable
businesses. It will abandon the development of medium-format single-
lens reflex cameras designed for professional photographers and
specialize in digital SLR offerings for new and intermediate users."

So what MF digital players will there be? Not sure who it up to what.
Won't affect me practically as this is seriously above my price bracket -
but interesting to know.

Pete

--
http://www.petezilla.co.uk
Old May 9th 07, 10:48 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
RichA

On May 9, 5:39 pm, Peter Chant wrote:
RichA wrote:
"On top of this, Pentax will continue to overhaul less profitable
businesses. It will abandon the development of medium-format single-
lens reflex cameras designed for professional photographers and
specialize in digital SLR offerings for new and intermediate users."

So what MF digital players will there be? Not sure who it up to what.
Won't affect me practically as this is seriously above my price bracket -
but interesting to know.

Apart from the lens costs, there is a chance we might see a medium
format in an affordable package at some point.
Mind you, $5000 would be affordable for those things. The cost of the
sensors (owing to quality spec and size) vastly eclipses the mass-
market sensors in the DSLRs.

Old May 10th 07, 12:49 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Tony Polson

Peter Chant wrote:

RichA wrote:

"On top of this, Pentax will continue to overhaul less profitable
businesses. It will abandon the development of medium-format single-
lens reflex cameras designed for professional photographers and
specialize in digital SLR offerings for new and intermediate users."

So what MF digital players will there be? Not sure who it up to what.
Won't affect me practically as this is seriously above my price bracket -
but interesting to know.

Hasselblad are doing well with the H series, offering up to 39 MP.
Mamiya are offering the 645 digital. Rollei are offering the 6000
series with digital backs.

There were rumours a few months ago that the Contax 645 series might
be resurrected as a digital body, but not by Kyocera.

Old May 10th 07, 02:33 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Randall Ainsworth

In article .com,
RichA wrote:

"On top of this, Pentax will continue to overhaul less profitable
businesses. It will abandon the development of medium-format single-
lens reflex cameras designed for professional photographers and
specialize in digital SLR offerings for new and intermediate users."

They finally got a clue. So what's the loss? 645 format is for amateurs
who don't have the balls for 6x6 or 6x7 anyway.
Old May 10th 07, 10:16 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Charlie Self

RichA wrote:
"On top of this, Pentax will continue to overhaul less profitable
businesses. It will abandon the development of medium-format single-
lens reflex cameras designed for professional photographers and
specialize in digital SLR offerings for new and intermediate users."

So what MF digital players will there be? *Not sure who it up to what.
Won't affect me practically as this is seriously above my price bracket -
but interesting to know.

Apart from the lens costs, there is a chance we might see a medium
format in an affordable package at some point.
Mind you, $5000 would be affordable for those things. The cost of the
sensors (owing to quality spec and size) vastly eclipses the mass-
market sensors in the DSLRs.

I probably can't afford to, but at 5K, I might just grab a 645D. The
problem then comes with the obligatory four or five lenses.

Old May 10th 07, 10:17 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Charlie Self

On May 9, 9:33?pm, Randall Ainsworth wrote:
In article .com,

RichA wrote:
"On top of this, Pentax will continue to overhaul less profitable
businesses. It will abandon the development of medium-format single-
lens reflex cameras designed for professional photographers and
specialize in digital SLR offerings for new and intermediate users."

They finally got a clue. So what's the loss? 645 format is for amateurs
who don't have the balls for 6x6 or 6x7 anyway.

A lot of pro studio shooters are going to be shocked by that.

Old May 10th 07, 10:49 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Peter Chant

Charlie Self wrote:

x-posted to rpe35mm as the early quoted text plus my bit at the end is
definitely relevant:

RichA wrote:
"On top of this, Pentax will continue to overhaul less profitable
businesses. It will abandon the development of medium-format single-
lens reflex cameras designed for professional photographers and
specialize in digital SLR offerings for new and intermediate users."

So what MF digital players will there be? ??Not sure who it up to what.
Won't affect me practically as this is seriously above my price bracket
- but interesting to know.

Apart from the lens costs, there is a chance we might see a medium
format in an affordable package at some point.
Mind you, $5000 would be affordable for those things. The cost of the
sensors (owing to quality spec and size) vastly eclipses the mass-
market sensors in the DSLRs.

I probably can't afford to, but at 5K, I might just grab a 645D. The
problem then comes with the obligatory four or five lenses.

Well, combine that with the post in another NG:

looks like you are running out of luck. :-(

Looks like they've no plan to do anything high end in 35mm based digital.
OK, so I might not want to go for the big bucks in 35mm digital at the
moment but it is nice to know there is always a future upgrade path if
wanted - without having to start again from scratch.

I've a reasonable selection of I believe reasonable, although perhaps not
top notch manual focus lenses in 35mm Pentax fit which would be a useful
resource to have if I were to go digital. For example - I have a Tokina
500mm mirror lens (bought for the 1999 eclipse), use this a few times a
year, nice to have on hand just in case and really don't want to get
another if I change system.

Pete

---- Copy of post from rec.photo-equipment.medium-format

Pentax UK *- med format disc
From:
henryp **(http://groups.google.com)
Date:
Thursday 10 May 2007 19:27:57
Groups:
rec.photo.equipment.medium-format
http://www.pentaxuser.co.uk/pages/ne...wstatment.html
and
http://www.pentaxuser.co.uk/pages/news/nws_eclaw.html

__ _
Henry Posner
B&H Photo-Video, Inc.

--
http://www.petezilla.co.uk
Old May 10th 07, 11:27 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Pudentame

Peter Chant wrote:

Looks like they've no plan to do anything high end in 35mm based digital.
OK, so I might not want to go for the big bucks in 35mm digital at the
moment but it is nice to know there is always a future upgrade path if
wanted - without having to start again from scratch.

I've a reasonable selection of I believe reasonable, although perhaps not
top notch manual focus lenses in 35mm Pentax fit which would be a useful
resource to have if I were to go digital. For example - I have a Tokina
500mm mirror lens (bought for the 1999 eclipse), use this a few times a
year, nice to have on hand just in case and really don't want to get
another if I change system.

Pete

---- Copy of post from rec.photo-equipment.medium-format

Pentax UK - med format disc
From:
henryp (http://groups.google.com)
Date:
Thursday 10 May 2007 19:27:57
Groups:
rec.photo.equipment.medium-format
http://www.pentaxuser.co.uk/pages/ne...wstatment.html
and
http://www.pentaxuser.co.uk/pages/news/nws_eclaw.html

__ _
Henry Posner
B&H Photo-Video, Inc.

If you look at the sites the links lead to, it's apparent Pentax is
dropping the 645 *FILM* camera in Europe. This is, BTW, somewhat old news.

The 645D, shown at PMA, still appears to be on track for release
sometime later this year, probably in the fall.
Old May 11th 07, 12:07 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
David Kilpatrick

Pudentame wrote:

If you look at the sites the links lead to, it's apparent Pentax is
dropping the 645 *FILM* camera in Europe. This is, BTW, somewhat old news.

The 645D, shown at PMA, still appears to be on track for release
sometime later this year, probably in the fall.

And I can tell you now that Pentax Europe has been briefing invitations
to a major press function later in the year, which indicates they have
some VERY substantial stuff to show - a bigger 'do' than the K10D
launch. I should be going to it, and can't say anything more. Just rest
assured they are not pulling their horns in, they are pushing the boat out.

David