Adobe Stock Images pays photo $0.18 for using his photo

Old December 21st 17, 04:02 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

Default Adobe Stock Images pays photo $0.18 for using his photo

In article ,
Whisky-dave wrote:

" I call the ones who paid more than list stupid, UNLESS THEY HAD AN
URGENT NEED FOR A NE PHONE" (Emphasis supplied.)"

So anyone bidding on a computer or any product in an auction is stupid if
they pay more than the asking price. ?
Sometimes an item is worth more to one person than it is to another.

yep.

i remember the nikon d3 being sold on ebay for more than nikon's
official price, along with several lenses over the years that were in
short supply.
Old December 21st 17, 04:02 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , PeterN
wrote:

The reason I didn't consider a failing drive, and kept fighting this
is that there are no other signs of it. No crashes, no errors in
normal use, nothing at all.

drives can fail in mysterious and sometimes sudden ways.

one of mine randomly decides it's read-only. an unmount/mount fixes it,
at least for a while. needless to say, it's queued for replacement.

With my attitude it would not be qued for replacement,n Replacement
would take place within a few minutes of ensuring that there was a
proper backup.

there are proper backups, more than one in fact.

once again, you're talking out your ass.
Old December 21st 17, 04:02 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , Mayayana
wrote:

Well, they've got a point.

they do.
Old December 21st 17, 04:02 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , PeterN
wrote:

That's what I don't get. Why did you need to keep
buying updates? I don't find that I'm missing functionality.
I guess if I bought a new camera I might have to buy a
new Aftershot Pro to get RAW support, but aside from
that, I have PSP 5 and 16, and most of the time I don't
even need the latter.

There is another point which has been mentioned. Even though an update
may not appear to bring any new functions it normally is that one or
more functions in an update provide a better outcome than in the
previous version. Also, even without changes in functionality,
software improvements will result in better performance and take
advantage of improvements in more recent hardware architecture.

tl;dr - bug fixes, security updates, and support for new hardware.

Of course if you only want the hard core basics you can continue to
use software originally written for a 286.

which is all he does. he still runs xp, after all.

And if that makes him happy, so what. /To paraphrase you it is not your
business.

completely missing the point, as usual.
Old December 21st 17, 04:58 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Mayayana

"Whisky-dave" wrote

| X does mean 10 in roman numerals and it;s still basically the same sort of
unix under the hood so no real reason to change the name for the sake of it.
| MS jumerd from 8.1 to W10 and they charged for the update unlike Apple
who made it free and since then all system upgrades/updates have been free.

I wouldn't brag too much about free Mac updates.
They charge through the nose for the hardware and
trap you in their shopping mall. Then they break hardware
and force you to buy new, overpriced gear that can only
be had from cooperating manufacturers. That's kind of
like getting a free oil change from Nissan for my pickup
but being forced to buy only their brand of muffler,
for $400 instead of $60.
Apple's not sitting on $3/4 trillion offshore because
they're generous with their product.

In general MS haven't charged for Win10. People have
had to block Microsoft trying to impose it. Most of the
talk in the Win10 group for the first few months was
"How do I stop this thing. It's trying to convert my
Windows 7." These days it's more about forced updates
that break things.
MS want everyone to be on their services. MS takes
a cut of 30% on sales of Metro apps and they're trying
to sell various services through Win10. The *hope* is
that they'll make a lot more money and won't need to
sell Windows itself. Though OEMs and corporate will
still pay.

In fact, it seems clear that Microsoft have been inspired
by Apple. Apple makes over $1B/year just through iTunes.
That's not windows people. That's Mac prisoners buying
that stuff. Microsoft sees the money Apple's making and
they want in. But Microsoft have never been good at making
products that people want. Only software. So their phones
and tablets are kaput and their services make little
sense on computers. (Even Apple is having to accept
that. People don't shop and diddle so much on computers.
They mostly work. So Apple is now coming out with a
system to make their phone/tablet "apps" compatible
with MacOS so that they can at least pretend to have
a viable app market on computers.)

Win10 is actually an interesting example of random
versions, though. Win2000 is v. 5.0. XP is v. 5.1.
Vista jumps to v. 6.0. That makes some sense. There
were basic changes and new API functions. Then
Win7 is v. 6.1. It did little more than add an option
for less nags. But Win8 is v. 6.2 and 8.1 is 6.3.
Win8 is much like 7, but it has Metro stuck on top
and the original version tries to make people stay
in Metro. So it's really not a 1/10-point transition.
Then with Win10 they jumped to 10. As near as I
can tell Win10 is little more than Vista/7/8 with
added spyware and a clear pipe to pump ads and
data collection from and to home base. Yet the
actual Windows version jumped 4 points. (Not the
marketing name but rather the actual kernel version.
Though even the marketing version skipped a point.
More Apple envy. Microsoft wanted to have "10", too.)

It's a combination of minor changes and major
marketing. Which they're free to do. There's really
no official definition of an update or an upgrade.
Apple's free to go from 10.1 to 10.2 and break half the
software as they go, while MS is free to go from 6.3
to 10.0 with hardly any core change.

At the other extreme, Firefox and Chrome are in
a race to absurdity, with function-breaking updates
every few weeks. But the winner is WINE. They have
a scheduled update release every 10 days. That's
been going on for over 20 years now. It's like one
giant teenager dork project that they all just like
to keep playing with. I think it took them something
like 15 years just to reach v. 1.0. The Linux people
think it's noble to downplay versions, so they come
out with things like v. .9.331.2114.67 and announce
that it includes a long-awaited fix for ZIP drives
opening unexpectedly.

And who cares, really? Most of the WINE-os seem
to be mainly interested in getting their favorite
Windows games running on Linux. The viability of
WINE as an interpretive layer for windows software
in general will probably never materialize.

Old December 21st 17, 05:12 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , Mayayana
wrote:

| X does mean 10 in roman numerals and it;s still basically the same sort of
unix under the hood so no real reason to change the name for the sake of it.
| MS jumerd from 8.1 to W10 and they charged for the update unlike Apple
who made it free and since then all system upgrades/updates have been free.

I wouldn't brag too much about free Mac updates.

you wouldn't brag about anything apple.

They charge through the nose for the hardware and
trap you in their shopping mall.

absolutely false.

Then they break hardware
and force you to buy new, overpriced gear that can only
be had from cooperating manufacturers.

absolutely false.

That's kind of
like getting a free oil change from Nissan for my pickup
but being forced to buy only their brand of muffler,
for $400 instead of $60.

some automakers do exactly that.

Apple's not sitting on $3/4 trillion offshore because
they're generous with their product.

apple isn't the only company with offshore money and also keep in mind
that more than half of apple's revenue is from *outside* the usa.

In general MS haven't charged for Win10.

microsoft offered win10 for free for one year, which has long expired.

win10 currently is *not* free.

People have
had to block Microsoft trying to impose it. Most of the
talk in the Win10 group for the first few months was
"How do I stop this thing. It's trying to convert my
Windows 7." These days it's more about forced updates
that break things.

microsoft was pushing (no surprise there), but it wasn't that hard to
say no (with one exception, which they admit they screwed up).

MS want everyone to be on their services. MS takes
a cut of 30% on sales of Metro apps and they're trying
to sell various services through Win10. The *hope* is
that they'll make a lot more money and won't need to
sell Windows itself. Though OEMs and corporate will
still pay.

no.

In fact, it seems clear that Microsoft have been inspired
by Apple. Apple makes over $1B/year just through iTunes.
That's not windows people.

actually it is windows people.

itunes is one of the most popular apps on windows and more than half of
iphone owners are windows users.

That's Mac prisoners buying
that stuff.

nobody is a prisoner.

Microsoft sees the money Apple's making and
they want in. But Microsoft have never been good at making
products that people want. Only software. So their phones
and tablets are kaput

that part is true.

and their services make little
sense on computers. (Even Apple is having to accept
that. People don't shop and diddle so much on computers.
They mostly work. So Apple is now coming out with a
system to make their phone/tablet "apps" compatible
with MacOS so that they can at least pretend to have
a viable app market on computers.)

that part is not.

rest of your idiocy snipped.
Old December 22nd 17, 12:09 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

On Thu, 21 Dec 2017 03:32:09 -0800 (PST), Whisky-dave
wrote:

On Wednesday, 20 December 2017 22:17:57 UTC, Eric Stevens wrote:
On Wed, 20 Dec 2017 07:38:04 -0800 (PST), Whisky-dave
wrote:

On Wednesday, 20 December 2017 15:03:07 UTC, Mayayana wrote:
"Savageduck" wrote

| In the case of Mayayana, and his anti-Apple bias, his usage of Appleseed
is
| undoubtably, and intentionally derogatory. He has a similar anti-Adobe
bias.

No, actually, that's your bias. I just like
to call a spade a spade. Or whatever a spade would
like to be called,

A spade is a particular type of shovel with a sharpish pointed end, usually used for digging up soil, they sometimes get confused with shovels, which have a square end.

of course. If it wants to be called
an upside-down heart I'll humor them. But if a spade
wants to be called a club, well that's just a lie.

Supose it's not actually a spade do you think it wants to be called a spade ?

Both our cats are spade.

And none of our teapots are spode.

Strange name for two cats, is that the same reason for calling all your kids fred so you only have to shout one name at dinner time (not that cats need calling for food)
A friends cat was called tripod because it had a leg missing due to an accident before they got it.

So now we're back on topic tripods :-D

Eric Stevens
Old December 22nd 17, 12:12 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

On Thu, 21 Dec 2017 15:35:12 +1300, Eric Stevens
wrote:

On Wed, 20 Dec 2017 17:28:52 -0500, nospam
wrote:

In article , Eric Stevens
wrote:

Being mean to people is not a game. It's just being
mean. You demean yourself and coarsen your own
sensibility, regardless of whether it bothers the target.

think about that next time you call people 'apple seeds' and other
derogatory terms.

I don't consider calling someone an Appleseed if a derogatory term. I
have some personal friends who I call Appleseeds, regularly. Yet some
got very insulted when I mentioned I called Apple Support, instead of
them. Also in my capacity as a stockholder, I love Appleseeds. They have
made me and my daughters, a lot of money.

Intent on the part of the user of the term, and how it is received by the
individual addressed are going to be the determining factors as to whether,
or not the usage is derogatory.When I see Appleseed used, my first thought
is that it is intended to be derogatory, and provocative.

Apple users seem to be rather too sensitive in these matters.

only because of the non-stop bashing from the haters.

I would
regard the use of 'appleseed' in much the same way as I would regard
the term 'lofty' to denote a person of considerably above average
type.

correct. apple users are indeed above average.

Appleseed is not a term used by users of Apple products to describe
themselves. It is a term used by non-Apple users to label Apple users. While
you might not have intended your usage to be derogatory, you have used it to
segregate/differentiate yourself from Apple users, and to establish your
standing as somebody who uses a different OS (...and I know you own and use
an iphone).If I were you I would stop calling your friends Appleseeds
regardless of how good APPL has been for you.

You are quite right in regarding it as a term to describe users of
apple products. But you are quite wrong as regarding it as a term used
only to denigrate the said users.

he's not wrong. the term is not being used in a complimentary manner.

it's intended to mock and denigrate apple users as being stupid sheep
who are too dumb to use a 'real computer', aka windows.

what the haters are too stupid to realize is that buying windows is
following the herd.

In the case of Mayayana, and his anti-Apple bias, his usage of Appleseed is
undoubtably, and intentionally derogatory. He has a similar anti-Adobe bias.

It's a mistake to paint all the rest of us with the same brush that
was used to paint Mayayana.

except that nobody was doing that.

perhaps you're the one who is too sensitive in these matters.

What on earth do you think I am sensitive about?

Being referred to s an 'apple seed'.

Eric Stevens
Old December 22nd 17, 12:18 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

On Thu, 21 Dec 2017 03:37:36 -0800 (PST), Whisky-dave
wrote:

On Wednesday, 20 December 2017 22:36:04 UTC, Eric Stevens wrote:

I buy updates when they contain enhancements which incorporate
features in which I am interested.

Are you differntiating here between updates and upgrades ?

Updates are usually to fix bugs, whereas upgrades are meant to add something. extra.

Most updates are free or should be I;d say.

OK: I mean upgrades.

Eric Stevens
Old December 22nd 17, 12:22 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

wrote:
What on earth do you think I am sensitive about?

Being referred to s an 'apple seed'.

why are you replying to yourself?