Apple holds Spotify users to ransom

Old July 10th 16, 02:11 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_6_]

Default Apple holds Spotify users to ransom

On 7/9/2016 4:20 PM, nospam wrote:
In article , PeterN
wrote:

I use a hot spot for my data. How much data did you use?

This should help:

http://gizmodo.com/how-much-data-doe...-eat-up-164946
6894

Thanks. As a quick calculation, about 1 G a day. Much better off
purchasing and additional tracks.

perhaps a bit too quick.

assuming a 160 kbit stream (good enough for listening in a car), that's
~1 megabyte/min.

you'd need to be listening for ~1000 minutes per day to reach 1 gig,
which is nearly 17 hours of non-stop listening. i *highly* doubt that's
the case.

even if you use a 320 kbit stream (and you won't notice the difference
in a car), you'd still need to listen to around 8.5 hours per day to
reach a gig/day.

So, that's close to my computation. I know my driving & listening
habits. You have no concept of my collection. I'm pretty good at
finance. You have not said anything to change my mind.

--
PeterN
Old July 10th 16, 11:10 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , PeterN
wrote:

Thanks. As a quick calculation, about 1 G a day. Much better off
purchasing and additional tracks.

perhaps a bit too quick.

assuming a 160 kbit stream (good enough for listening in a car), that's
~1 megabyte/min.

you'd need to be listening for ~1000 minutes per day to reach 1 gig,
which is nearly 17 hours of non-stop listening. i *highly* doubt that's
the case.

even if you use a 320 kbit stream (and you won't notice the difference
in a car), you'd still need to listen to around 8.5 hours per day to
reach a gig/day.

So, that's close to my computation.

not close at all.

I know my driving & listening
habits. You have no concept of my collection.

it doesn't matter what your collection is. it could be grindcore for
all it matters.

do you actually spend 8 hours streaming audio (music *or* voice) in a
car every day? unless you're a truck driver, no, you do not.

if you take a road trip a couple times a month, then your monthly usage
would be a couple of gig per *month* (not per day) which is reasonable
(although still on the high side).

t-mobile also offers free streaming on numerous services, including
spotify and apple music, so usage wouldn't actually matter:
http://www.t-mobile.com/offer/free-music-streaming.html

I'm pretty good at
finance.

just not at reading comprehension.

no financial calculations were involved.

You have not said anything to change my mind.

as if anything would.
Old July 11th 16, 04:16 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
PAS[_2_]

On 7/8/2016 3:46 PM, PeterN wrote:
On 7/8/2016 9:17 AM, PAS wrote:
On 7/8/2016 9:02 AM, PeterN wrote:
On 2016-07-02 18:39:28 +0000, PeterN said:

On 7/2/2016 12:43 PM, Ken Hart wrote:
On 07/02/2016 12:18 PM, PeterN wrote:
On 7/1/2016 10:42 PM, nospam wrote:
In article , PeterN
wrote:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/articl...s-apple-of-blo

cki
ng-app-and-using-store-as-weapon-to-harm-competitors

spotify has been trying to circumvent the rules for years.

In Starbucks I see promotions for Spotify. I thought it was
some
music
DL service, but I really don't know what it is.

it's one of several music streaming services.

spotify has been trying to get around the app store rules long
before
there was an apple music service.

apple's response:
https://www.buzzfeed.com/johnpaczkow...t-spotify-for-

asking-for-preferential-trea
³Our guidelines apply equally to all app developers, whether
they
are
game developers, e-book sellers, video-streaming services or
digital
music distributors; and regardless of whether or not they
compete
against Apple. We did not alter our behavior or our rules
when we
introduced our own music streaming service or when Spotify
became a
competitor,² Sewell explains. ³Ironically, it is now Spotify
that
wants things to be different by asking for preferential
treatment
from Apple.²

Thanks. I have only one streaming music service, Sirius, and it
satisfies my needs. Plus it is free because I have the full
subscription
in my car.
I know there are other free streaming music services out
there, but
this
is working for me, as long as they stay in business.

If you want another choice for streaming music, I use 181.fm
There
are
about thirty different categories of music: Light 80's, Oldies,
etc.
There are commercials about every 15 minutes.

As someone else said: "It satisfies my needs."

Is that a satellite station.

That is a web stream, as are other apps/services such as Pandora.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pandora_Radio
http://www.pandora.com

That was not a question. Web streams are not reliable enough, or
cheap
enough, to use while driving on a more than 30 mile trip.

I drove to FL on I-95 last week and then back home. For the
majority of
the trip, I had Pandora streaming and I did not have any problem with
the reliability of the stream.

Do you use a cellular hot spot?

Nope, just used my data. I have AT&T and the service was reliable all
the way up and down I-95. There are a few spots on the LIE out east,
around exit 71 where the Pandora service halts momentarily as well as
around exit 68 due to some dead spots where the AT&T signal drops off.
I was pleasantly surprised that the service worked fine on my long
drive.

I use a hot spot for my data. How much data did you use?

My billing period ended on July 3rd and includes the day I drove back
from FL. Total data used for the month on my phone was 1.6GB. My plan
has 10GB of shared data for the three phones and last year they offered
a free upgrade to 15GB. They then introduced rollover so I've got lots
of data to use.

Old July 11th 16, 04:19 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
PAS[_2_]

wrote:

I use a hot spot for my data. How much data did you use?
This should help:

http://gizmodo.com/how-much-data-doe...-eat-up-164946
6894

Thanks. As a quick calculation, about 1 G a day. Much better off
purchasing and additional tracks.

perhaps a bit too quick.

assuming a 160 kbit stream (good enough for listening in a car), that's
~1 megabyte/min.

you'd need to be listening for ~1000 minutes per day to reach 1 gig,
which is nearly 17 hours of non-stop listening. i *highly* doubt that's
the case.

even if you use a 320 kbit stream (and you won't notice the difference
in a car), you'd still need to listen to around 8.5 hours per day to
reach a gig/day.

According to the link Bill provided, Pandora streams at 64 kbits. The
sound quality s pretty good to my ears and I can be fussy about that.
It's better than Sirius' sound quality.

Old July 11th 16, 05:01 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , PAS wrote:

Thanks. As a quick calculation, about 1 G a day. Much better off
purchasing and additional tracks.

perhaps a bit too quick.

assuming a 160 kbit stream (good enough for listening in a car), that's
~1 megabyte/min.

you'd need to be listening for ~1000 minutes per day to reach 1 gig,
which is nearly 17 hours of non-stop listening. i *highly* doubt that's
the case.

even if you use a 320 kbit stream (and you won't notice the difference
in a car), you'd still need to listen to around 8.5 hours per day to
reach a gig/day.

According to the link Bill provided, Pandora streams at 64 kbits. The
sound quality s pretty good to my ears and I can be fussy about that.
It's better than Sirius' sound quality.

which makes it *impossible* to reach 1g/day.

at 64kb/s, it would take ~42 hours to reach a gig, which is almost
*two* full days non-stop without even stopping for sleep.

at that rate, assuming 6 hours of streaming per day, it'd take about a
week to reach a gig.
Old July 11th 16, 06:28 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_6_]

wrote:

[...]

Thanks,

I have to discuss this with Verizon.
As for sound quality, between the road noise and my hearing
deterioration, I cannot be as discriminating about sound as I used to be.

--
PeterN
Old July 11th 16, 07:19 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
PAS[_2_]

wrote:

[...]

I have an easy solution for road noise: turn it up! I like to listen
to my music loud, always have. It's no surprise that I have tinnitus,
fortunately it's not a bad case.

Old July 11th 16, 08:19 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , PeterN
wrote:

As for sound quality, between the road noise and my hearing
deterioration, I cannot be as discriminating about sound as I used to be.

which is why streaming at 320k in a car is silly.
Old July 11th 16, 09:12 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Bill W

On Mon, 11 Jul 2016 14:19:57 -0400, PAS wrote:

I have an easy solution for road noise: turn it up!

Or buy a new car with better noise isolation & noise canceling. I hear
the Maybachs are quite good at that...
Old July 11th 16, 09:29 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2016-07-11 20:12:39 +0000, Bill W said:

On Mon, 11 Jul 2016 14:19:57 -0400, PAS wrote:

I have an easy solution for road noise: turn it up!

Or buy a new car with better noise isolation & noise canceling. I hear
the Maybachs are quite good at that...

How about the new GMC trucks, Caddies, and other GM vehicles with their
Bose active noise cancelling technology?
http://www.gmc.com/gmc-life/trucks/sierra-1500-denali-take-closer-look-precision.html
https://youtu.be/khHAohC0d_0

Savageduck