Apple holds Spotify users to ransom

Old July 4th 16, 03:13 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

Default Apple holds Spotify users to ransom

On 2016-07-04 01:59:26 +0000, Bill W said:

On Sun, 03 Jul 2016 21:16:35 -0400, Davoud wrote:

Bill W:
If you have unlimited data, it shouldn't be a problem. Even satellite
will drop out in many areas. Admittedly, I don't know if you can even
get unlimited data anymore.

I have driven in "Many areas" with Sirius/XM in my three cars. Never
had a dropout related to geography, only to terrain. Trees close to the
south side of a narrow country road, e.g. Under a bridge sometimes. if
driving slowly. In a tunnel. No biggie, overwhelmingly reliable.

That's really all I meant, with the addition of urban areas with tall
buildings.

The only place I have experienced drop out with SiriusXM is when I have
to stop for a red light under the 24th Street 101 overpass in Paso
Robles and the signal buffer can't compensate.
Otherwise, even under overhead tree cover there are enough intermittent
gaps in the tree cover that the signal buffer works well enough to
provide an uninterupted signal. Even under the trees on Southside Drive
at Yosemite.

Savageduck

Old July 4th 16, 04:18 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Davoud

Bill W:
If you have unlimited data, it shouldn't be a problem. Even satellite
will drop out in many areas. Admittedly, I don't know if you can even
get unlimited data anymore.

Davoud:
I have driven in "Many areas" with Sirius/XM in my three cars. Never
had a dropout related to geography, only to terrain. Trees close to the
south side of a narrow country road, e.g. Under a bridge sometimes. if
driving slowly. In a tunnel. No biggie, overwhelmingly reliable.

Bill W:
That's really all I meant, with the addition of urban areas with tall
buildings.

I can't speak for every urban area, but Sirius XM employs terrestrial
transmitters to deal with lack of satellite visibility in urban
canyons.

you will say in your entire life.

usenet *at* davidillig dawt cawm
Old July 5th 16, 02:39 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_6_]

On 7/3/2016 6:59 PM, Ken Hart wrote:
On 07/02/2016 02:39 PM, PeterN wrote:
On 7/2/2016 12:43 PM, Ken Hart wrote:

If you want another choice for streaming music, I use 181.fm There are
about thirty different categories of music: Light 80's, Oldies, etc.
There are commercials about every 15 minutes.

As someone else said: "It satisfies my needs."

Is that a satellite station.

Sorry, I should have written "www.181.fm". The "FM" in this case is the
top level domain name for the Federated States of Micronesia.

I have one old computer that I refer to as my "music computer". The
browser is nearly always pointed at that website. The audio output from
the computer is connected to the aux input of my stereo system.

The first 20 or so years of my working life were spent in radio, first
as a DJ, then as a Chief Engineer. So I pretty much have to have "tunes"
playing all the time!

Yep! I was thinking car radio. For home use, I have a much wider
selection. I have several hundred CDs in my personal collection. You can
easily do the math to see how long I can play them, without repetition.
Between that portion of my collection I have on my iPod, Pandora &
Sirius, I can set music to fit my then current mood.

--
PeterN
Old July 5th 16, 02:40 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_6_]

On 7/2/2016 8:50 PM, Bill W wrote:
On Sat, 2 Jul 2016 20:00:49 -0400, PeterN

On 2016-07-02 18:39:28 +0000, PeterN said:

On 7/2/2016 12:43 PM, Ken Hart wrote:
On 07/02/2016 12:18 PM, PeterN wrote:
On 7/1/2016 10:42 PM, nospam wrote:
In article , PeterN
wrote:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/articl...s-apple-of-blo

cki
ng-app-and-using-store-as-weapon-to-harm-competitors

spotify has been trying to circumvent the rules for years.

In Starbucks I see promotions for Spotify. I thought it was some
music
DL service, but I really don't know what it is.

it's one of several music streaming services.

spotify has been trying to get around the app store rules long before
there was an apple music service.

apple's response:
https://www.buzzfeed.com/johnpaczkow...t-spotify-for-

asking-for-preferential-trea
³Our guidelines apply equally to all app developers, whether they
are
game developers, e-book sellers, video-streaming services or digital
music distributors; and regardless of whether or not they compete
against Apple. We did not alter our behavior or our rules when we
introduced our own music streaming service or when Spotify became a
competitor,² Sewell explains. ³Ironically, it is now Spotify that
wants things to be different by asking for preferential treatment
from Apple.²

Thanks. I have only one streaming music service, Sirius, and it
satisfies my needs. Plus it is free because I have the full
subscription
in my car.
I know there are other free streaming music services out there, but
this
is working for me, as long as they stay in business.

If you want another choice for streaming music, I use 181.fm There are
about thirty different categories of music: Light 80's, Oldies, etc.
There are commercials about every 15 minutes.

As someone else said: "It satisfies my needs."

Is that a satellite station.

That is a web stream, as are other apps/services such as Pandora.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pandora_Radio
http://www.pandora.com

That was not a question. Web streams are not reliable enough, or cheap
enough, to use while driving on a more than 30 mile trip.

If you have unlimited data, it shouldn't be a problem. Even satellite
will drop out in many areas. Admittedly, I don't know if you can even
get unlimited data anymore.

I do not have unlimited data. While some companies still offer it, their
coverage doesn't fit my desires.

--
PeterN
Old July 5th 16, 07:32 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_6_]

On 7/5/2016 5:36 AM, Whisky-dave wrote:
On Tuesday, 5 July 2016 02:38:28 UTC+1, peterN wrote:

Between that portion of my collection I have on my iPod, Pandora &
Sirius, I can set music to fit my then current mood.

Do you ever set ypur music to change your current mood as a flatmate of mine used to put music on to change the mood she was in.

Yes

--
PeterN
Old July 7th 16, 02:11 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
John Turco

On 7/3/2016 12:14 AM, Tony Cooper wrote:
On Sun, 03 Jul 2016 00:26:20 -0400, nospam
wrote:

heavily edited for brevity

it's not my opinion. even sirius calls it a radio.

You're weaseling. The fact that it's "radio" is not being disputed.
Using "glorified" as a modifier is the depreciative aspect.

Whenever you precede a thing or title with the word "glorified" you
are suggesting that you perceive it to be above it's station. (Pun
intended)

edited

Your pun includes the misuse of "it's."

John
Old July 7th 16, 04:49 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
PAS[_2_]

wrote:

[...]

I've got Sirius also, it costs me $5.00 per month. What I don't like
about i is he quality of sound. Their signal is compressed and the
sound quality of music is nowhere near as good as is for a streaming
service like Pandora or Spotify.

Old July 7th 16, 04:51 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
PAS[_2_]

wrote:

[...]

I drove to FL on I-95 last week and then back home. For the majority of
the trip, I had Pandora streaming and I did not have any problem with
the reliability of the stream.

Old July 7th 16, 04:55 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
PAS[_2_]

On 7/3/2016 12:12 AM, Tony Cooper wrote:
On Sat, 02 Jul 2016 23:56:30 -0400, nospam
wrote:

In article , Tony Cooper
wrote:

We have SeriusXM in the car. It's far more than just "glorified
radio". The selection is much, much more than just music. In fact,
we seldom use the music channels.

having a larger selection is what makes it a glorified radio and nobody
said it was only music either.

Using the term "glorified radio" is depreciative.

Like you, I listen to more non-music station on Sirius than music
stations. They have a lot to offer. After my free subscription ran out
on the first car we had it in, I didn't plan on keeping the service for
the approx. $15.00 per month the wanted. I held out and now pay $5.00
per month for each car. I managed to get a portable radio thrown in
with a lifetime subscription for it.

Old July 7th 16, 04:59 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
PAS[_2_]

On 7/4/2016 9:39 PM, PeterN wrote:
[...]

Have you ripped all of your CDs to MP3 files so you can stream them in
the house? I've done that and use Plex Media Server to stream the music
from my desktop upstairs to my stereo downstairs and also to my Block
Rocker which I use a lot when I'm outside working or relaxing. I also
have all of my music on a couple of 128GB memory sticks that I use in
the cars.