Compact Flash type I and type II

Old February 20th 08, 03:34 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
elliot

Default Compact Flash type I and type II

Staples is selling a 2GB CF type I for $18 and a 2GB CF type II for
$40...Can anyone tell me if there is a good reason to spend more money
on the type II as my Canon Supershot S20 accepts both Type

Old February 20th 08, 08:16 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Ron Hunter

elliot wrote:
Staples is selling a 2GB CF type I for $18 and a 2GB CF type II for
$40...Can anyone tell me if there is a good reason to spend more money
on the type II as my Canon Supershot S20 accepts both Type

There is no specific advantage, although at the higher price, I would
expect the card to be faster (not that the type indicates that). Unless
your camera is able to use a faster card, there is little reason to
spend the extra money.
Old February 20th 08, 08:31 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Floyd L. Davidson

John Navas wrote:
On Tue, 19 Feb 2008 21:54:07 -0900, (Floyd L. Davidson)
wrote in :

John Navas wrote:
On Tue, 19 Feb 2008 22:34:35 -0500,
(elliot) wrote in
:

Staples is selling a 2GB CF type I for $18 and a 2GB CF type II for
$40...Can anyone tell me if there is a good reason to spend more money
on the type II as my Canon Supershot S20 accepts both Type

No, just the opposite:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compact_flash#Type_I_and_Type_II

"The vast majority of all Type II devices are
Microdrives and other miniature hard drives. Flash
based Type II devices are rare but a few examples do
exist.[9][10] Even the largest capacity cards
commonly available are Type I cards..."

The references are a 1999 review of a "a 224MB whopper",
and a 2004 review of a new $3000 each 8 GB CF-II card.

To put it mildly, the Wikipedia cite is incorrect and
totally misleading because it is a decade out of date,
and simply does not provide a valid answer to the OP's
question.

Nothing of the sort. What the Wikipedia article actually makes clear is
that there is no benefit to a Type II flash card, just as the OP asked.

Read it again. And again if necessary.

You said "no, just the opposite", an cited the wikipedia
article to support that assertion.

It is wrong. Your statement is wrong.

Now you compound it with more invalid commentary. The
wiki article does not make it clear that there is not
benefit to the Type II card.

If it were correct, that is exactly what it would say.
It doesn't.

Ukpeagvik (Barrow, Alaska)