Buying a laptop.. need a good display.. help me!

Old January 5th 08, 06:17 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Snaggy

Default Buying a laptop.. need a good display.. help me!

I'm buying a laptop and need advice for a display.
Max budget around 2000 dollars, pc (not apple mac)... I'll use it
mainly for photography and image editing, it's meant to replace the
desktop therefore I need a good display which can be calibrated
decently.

I know the latest mac displays (led backlit) are quite good on this
side, but as I told you I can't buy a mac.

What about the Dell inspiron 1720 with the High Resolution, glossy
widescreen 17.0 inch display (1920 x 1200)

any suggestion?

bye
luca
Old January 5th 08, 06:38 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
ransley

On Jan 5, 12:17*pm, Snaggy wrote:
I'm buying a laptop and need advice for a display.
Max budget around 2000 dollars, pc (not apple mac)... I'll use it
mainly for photography and image editing, it's meant to replace the
desktop therefore I need a good display which can be calibrated
decently.

I know the latest mac displays (led backlit) are quite good on this
side, but as I told you I can't buy a mac.

What about the Dell inspiron 1720 with the High Resolution, glossy
widescreen 17.0 inch display (1920 x 1200)

any suggestion?

bye
luca

I have a dell 17 1920 x 1200, you wont need to calibrate it and the
display is as good as you get except for maybe the Led Lcd but I have
never compared them. What I see on the screen it prints.
Old January 5th 08, 06:52 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Daniel Silevitch

On Sat, 5 Jan 2008 10:17:43 -0800 (PST), Snaggy wrote:
I'm buying a laptop and need advice for a display.
Max budget around 2000 dollars, pc (not apple mac)... I'll use it
mainly for photography and image editing, it's meant to replace the
desktop therefore I need a good display which can be calibrated
decently.

I know the latest mac displays (led backlit) are quite good on this
side, but as I told you I can't buy a mac.

What about the Dell inspiron 1720 with the High Resolution, glossy
widescreen 17.0 inch display (1920 x 1200)

Out of curiousity, is your objection to the Mac in the hardware or the
software? If the latter, a MacBook Pro with XP installed could be an
option.

-dms

Old January 5th 08, 07:00 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Snaggy

On Jan 5, 7:52 pm, Daniel Silevitch wrote:
On Sat, 5 Jan 2008 10:17:43 -0800 (PST), Snaggy wrote:
I'm buying a laptop and need advice for a display.
Max budget around 2000 dollars, pc (not apple mac)... I'll use it
mainly for photography and image editing, it's meant to replace the
desktop therefore I need a good display which can be calibrated
decently.

I know the latest mac displays (led backlit) are quite good on this
side, but as I told you I can't buy a mac.

What about the Dell inspiron 1720 with the High Resolution, glossy
widescreen 17.0 inch display (1920 x 1200)

Out of curiousity, is your objection to the Mac in the hardware or the
software? If the latter, a MacBook Pro with XP installed could be an
option.

-dms

I have no objections personally, i mean I'd love a mac, simply the
person for whom I'm buying this computer won't ever hear of it...
dunno why
Old January 5th 08, 07:12 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Paul Furman

Snaggy wrote:
I'm buying a laptop and need advice for a display.
Max budget around 2000 dollars, pc (not apple mac)... I'll use it
mainly for photography and image editing, it's meant to replace the
desktop therefore I need a good display which can be calibrated
decently.

I know the latest mac displays (led backlit) are quite good on this
side, but as I told you I can't buy a mac.

What about the Dell inspiron 1720 with the High Resolution, glossy
widescreen 17.0 inch display (1920 x 1200)

any suggestion?

I ended up with a Sony VGN-FZ285U (15.4" screen 1280x800) when my Dell
workstation died of old age. All the new models have much better
displays: I can actually read this thing outside in the sun. I couldn't
wait longer after a week of downtime trying to fix it & Dell would have
taken a couple weeks custom built for the specs I wanted. My only
complaint is the large but slow hard drive (similar to the dell you are
looking at but not SATA), for photoshop work, it really would be better
to have a faster HD and that's hard to find in an off-the shelf laptop.
I also wanted something with a dedicated video card & lots of RAM, oh
and the wireless card is the latest (none of the othes had that). Plus
what I really would have liked would have been $3,000 at Dell ...you get
more options going through the small buisiness track on their site...
it's good stuff but man that's a lot for a laptop.
Old January 5th 08, 08:29 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
EAL

On Sat, 5 Jan 2008 10:38:39 -0800 (PST), ransley
wrote:

On Jan 5, 12:17*pm, Snaggy wrote:
I'm buying a laptop and need advice for a display.
Max budget around 2000 dollars, pc (not apple mac)... I'll use it
mainly for photography and image editing, it's meant to replace the
desktop therefore I need a good display which can be calibrated
decently.

I know the latest mac displays (led backlit) are quite good on this
side, but as I told you I can't buy a mac.

What about the Dell inspiron 1720 with the High Resolution, glossy
widescreen 17.0 inch display (1920 x 1200)

any suggestion?

bye
luca

I have a dell 17 1920 x 1200, you wont need to calibrate it and the
display is as good as you get except for maybe the Led Lcd but I have
never compared them. What I see on the screen it prints.

Why would anyone buy a widescreen except to watch widescreen movies?
Wide screen means less height, a slit-eyed narrow display. These
displays are cramped vertically. Don't you ever shoot portraits?

Wide can be an advantage for long lines in spreadsheets, but web pages
and most text documents have a vertical presentation and you need
height for that.

Widescreen is an inconvenient fad. Even the new GPS navigators have
wide screens, very unsuitable for maps.

My Lenovo laptop has an SXGA+ screen, which is 1400 x 1050. That's a
great resolution for photos and general use, and I am well pleased
with it, although my old desktop NEC MultiSync FE950+ CRT monitor
looks better and I always use it when I'm home.

Ed
Old January 5th 08, 09:01 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Jürgen Exner

EAL wrote:
Why would anyone buy a widescreen except to watch widescreen movies?

Very simple: to be able to see two documents side by side for
cross-reference without overlap. Very convenient!

jue
Old January 5th 08, 09:03 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Mr. Strat

In article , George Kerby
wrote:

Buy a Mac. It's the best. AND it will run those crappy PC programs, if you
insist.

Agreed, but I wouldn't want to desecrate a fine machine like that with
any version of Windows.
Old January 5th 08, 09:13 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , EAL
wrote:

Why would anyone buy a widescreen except to watch widescreen movies?
Wide screen means less height, a slit-eyed narrow display. These
displays are cramped vertically. Don't you ever shoot portraits?

i often shoot portraits, and with a widescreen display, there's plenty
of room for tool palettes or even two images side by side for
comparison purposes. the extra space does not go to waste. plus, one
can always rotate the display into portrait mode.