Absolute simplest digital camera.

Old December 2nd 07, 06:49 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Charlie

Default Absolute simplest digital camera.

This is a serious question. I have a wife who is loosing her memory
and always liked film photography (not serious art of technical) and
finds all digital cameras with the many adjustments required too much
for her. My hope is to find a digital she can master so that I can
show her, her photos ASAP on the computer

Does any company make a simple, non zoom P&S with no adjustments but
hopefully with an LCD and viewfinder.

Charlie
Old December 2nd 07, 06:59 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
plb49

On Dec 2, 1:49 pm, Charlie wrote:
This is a serious question. I have a wife who is loosing her memory
and always liked film photography (not serious art of technical) and
finds all digital cameras with the many adjustments required too much
for her. My hope is to find a digital she can master so that I can
show her, her photos ASAP on the computer

Does any company make a simple, non zoom P&S with no adjustments but
hopefully with an LCD and viewfinder.

Charlie

You might find something here you could use:

http://cameras.about.com/od/digitalc...rasforkids.htm

Paul B.
Old December 2nd 07, 10:43 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Neil Harrington[_2_]

"Charlie" wrote in message
This is a serious question. I have a wife who is loosing her memory
and always liked film photography (not serious art of technical) and
finds all digital cameras with the many adjustments required too much
for her. My hope is to find a digital she can master so that I can
show her, her photos ASAP on the computer

Does any company make a simple, non zoom P&S with no adjustments but
hopefully with an LCD and viewfinder.

Charlie

I should think almost any of today's very compact models would be simple
enough. They all have more or less advanced features that probably most
casual users just ignore. Just leave the dial in the "green camera" mode or
whatever it is on any particular make, and the camera will make all
decisions as to exposure, use the flash automatically when it's needed, etc.
There aren't any adjustments required with such a camera. The on/off button
and the shutter release are all she'd really have to deal with.

Neil

Old December 2nd 07, 11:17 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Neil Harrington[_2_]

"Neil Harrington" wrote in message
. ..

"Charlie" wrote in message
[...]

Oops. Just re-read your post and noticed the "non zoom" requirement. *That*
I think will be hard to find, as all the digital cameras I've seen on the
market in recent years have zoom lenses. But it's just another feature that
she can ignore. It might be a good idea to show her where the zoom control
is located and how it works in case she moves it accidentally, but that
should be no problem.

All digital cameras I've ever seen have LCDs, but not all recent models have
optical viewfinders, unfortunately. One that has both LCD and optical
viewfinder is the Canon A550, which also uses AA cells for power (alkalines,
or preferably NiMH rechargeables). It has a lot of features your wife won't
need but again, she can just ignore them. At a little over $130 it appears
to be an excellent buy, from a very good manufacturer. It's very small
without being *too* small.

Buy.com has it at $131.99 with free shipping.
http://www.buy.com/prod/canon-powers...204081562.html

Probably your nearest Wal-Mart has it (or something like it) as well.

Neil

Old December 3rd 07, 12:21 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Bill[_3_]

On Sun, 2 Dec 2007 10:49:06 -0800 (PST), Charlie
wrote:

This is a serious question. I have a wife who is loosing her memory
and always liked film photography (not serious art of technical) and
finds all digital cameras with the many adjustments required too much
for her. My hope is to find a digital she can master so that I can
show her, her photos ASAP on the computer

Does any company make a simple, non zoom P&S with no adjustments but
hopefully with an LCD and viewfinder.

Charlie

I dont' know wher you are in the world, but stores such as Wal-Mart,
K-Mart and others often carry in-expensive digital cameras with
minimal features. I bought my wife one very similar to your request a
few years ago so she could take pictures to post on E-Bay.

HTH
Bill
Old December 3rd 07, 12:38 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
H.S.[_2_]

Neil Harrington wrote:

All digital cameras I've ever seen have LCDs, but not all recent models have
optical viewfinders, unfortunately. One that has both LCD and optical
viewfinder is the Canon A550, which also uses AA cells for power (alkalines,

Don't A560, A570 and A720 all have optical viewfinders? Or maybe I
missed the reason you didn't mention those.

-HS

Old December 3rd 07, 01:40 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Charlie

On Dec 2, 10:49 am, Charlie wrote:
This is a serious question. I have a wife who is loosing her memory
and always liked film photography (not serious art of technical) and
finds all digital cameras with the many adjustments required too much
for her. My hope is to find a digital she can master so that I can
show her, her photos ASAP on the computer

Does any company make a simple, non zoom P&S with no adjustments but
hopefully with an LCD and viewfinder.

Charlie

Thanks for all suggestions. Unless you are familiar with this
condition you may not know that saying ignor, is gone from her mind in
minutes and the array of buttons remain to confuse her and the camera
will remain on her desk. This will not be the first digital I've
tried. Any zoom confuses her. It may be too late to give her any
enjoyment.

I think some of the childrens cameras may do the trick and I'll try to
find one that is a little less cute in appearance.

Charlie
Old December 3rd 07, 02:56 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Neil Harrington[_2_]

"H.S." wrote in message
-Free...
Neil Harrington wrote:

All digital cameras I've ever seen have LCDs, but not all recent models
have
optical viewfinders, unfortunately. One that has both LCD and optical
viewfinder is the Canon A550, which also uses AA cells for power
(alkalines,

Don't A560, A570 and A720 all have optical viewfinders?

Yep.

Or maybe I
missed the reason you didn't mention those.

Only that the A550 meets (and in fact far exceeds) all the OP's requirements
for a camera for his wife, who just wants the simplest thing available. The
extra features of the more expensive cameras would be of no use to her, so
why pay for them?

Neil

Old December 3rd 07, 09:29 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Ron Hunter

Charlie wrote:
This is a serious question. I have a wife who is loosing her memory
and always liked film photography (not serious art of technical) and
finds all digital cameras with the many adjustments required too much
for her. My hope is to find a digital she can master so that I can
show her, her photos ASAP on the computer

Does any company make a simple, non zoom P&S with no adjustments but
hopefully with an LCD and viewfinder.

Charlie

This is really simple. Buy any camera that suits your needs, and
budget, set it to 'auto', and tell her to enjoy. In most cases, that
will be adequate.
Old December 3rd 07, 11:33 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
bugbear

Charlie wrote:
This is a serious question. I have a wife who is loosing her memory
and always liked film photography (not serious art of technical) and
finds all digital cameras with the many adjustments required too much
for her. My hope is to find a digital she can master so that I can
show her, her photos ASAP on the computer

Does any company make a simple, non zoom P&S with no adjustments but
hopefully with an LCD and viewfinder.

Most cameras that "have adjustments" also have a "full auto"
mode. You could always lock it down (tape?) if you wanted to.

BugBear