Two questions in one Pentax - Canon - Nikon

Old October 22nd 07, 02:02 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
80/20

Default Two questions in one Pentax - Canon - Nikon

I am a returnee to photography and moving up from SLR to DSLR.
My current lens kit is very good, about 20 years old, and is Pentax PK
fitting, therefore if it will function in manual mode on the Pentax
K10D that is what I would like to buy. Does anyone know how well it
will work?

If compatability is an issue then I've got another problem - I
shortened the odds down to:
Pentax K10D
Nikon D40X
Canon EOS400D

Which would be your favourite and why?

Thanks
Steve

PS: Any other options around at a similar price level?

Old October 22nd 07, 03:14 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
SMS

80/20 wrote:
I am a returnee to photography and moving up from SLR to DSLR.
My current lens kit is very good, about 20 years old, and is Pentax PK
fitting, therefore if it will function in manual mode on the Pentax
K10D that is what I would like to buy. Does anyone know how well it
will work?

The PK lenses can be used on the K10D. You can also use them on the
Canon with a lens adapter, see
"http://goshotcamera.com/product/LAD003EOSPKCONFIRM?meta=FRG". The
Pentax lenses cannot be used with the Nikon, due to issues with the
Nikon mount.

If compatability is an issue then I've got another problem - I
shortened the odds down to:
Pentax K10D
Nikon D40X
Canon EOS400D

Which would be your favourite and why?

Since you have Pentax lenses already, get the K10D. It's a good deal
right now with a $100 rebate if you get the kit with the 18-55 lens,
"http://www.pentaximaging.com/files/scms_docs//brightenyourholidaydslrrebate.lr.pdf".
That makes it $629 in the U.S., with the kit lens, though from your
spelling errors you seem to be located outside the U.S..

The in-camera image-stabilization is a useful feature, and is less
expensive than buying IS lenses (though not quite as effective as having
IS in the lens).

Just avoid the K100D and D40/D40x at all costs. These are seriously
de-featured models, and you'll regret not moving up the product line one
step. The K10D is a very good choice considering you have lenses that
you want to use.
Old October 22nd 07, 03:27 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
ChrisM

though from your
spelling errors you seem to be located outside the U.S..

Eh? Can Americans not be rubbish at spelling then?

Chris.
(Remove Elvis's shoes to email me)

Old October 22nd 07, 04:13 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
80/20

" though from your spelling errors you seem to be located outside the
U.S.."

SMS Thanks for your prompt response and good info.

Yes as you've guessed I am from the land of the proper Queen's
English, so we probably won't see special offers yet awhile if at
all. At current exchange rates the K10D body and kit lens is around
$900.00.

Steve

Old October 22nd 07, 04:37 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
dj_nme

SMS wrote:

80/20 wrote:

I am a returnee to photography and moving up from SLR to DSLR.
My current lens kit is very good, about 20 years old, and is Pentax PK
fitting, therefore if it will function in manual mode on the Pentax
K10D that is what I would like to buy. Does anyone know how well it
will work?

The PK lenses can be used on the K10D. You can also use them on the
Canon with a lens adapter, see
"http://goshotcamera.com/product/LAD003EOSPKCONFIRM?meta=FRG". The
Pentax lenses cannot be used with the Nikon, due to issues with the
Nikon mount.

The real problem is that the Nikon mount a about a milimetre greater in
flange-to-sensor distance than the Pentax K mount, so without corrective
optics (similar to FD [lens] to EOS [camera] inifinty focus adapters) a
PK lens will act as though it's on a macro ring if somehow fitted onto
Nikon SLR.
Some (silly or desperate?) experimenters have jammed Nikon lenses into
Pentax SLR cameras and been able to focus to infinty (some Nikon lenses
fit into the PK bayonet, but don't lock), but due to the different
flange-to-sensor distance can't focus nearly as closely as if they were
mounted on a Nikon SLR.
It is usually best to use the lenses you've got with the camera moutn
they were designed for, as you won't need adapters and the lens features
should work as designed.
Old October 22nd 07, 06:20 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Sander

SMS wrote:

Just avoid the K100D and D40/D40x at all costs. These are seriously
de-featured models, and you'll regret not moving up the product line one
step.

What is it about the K100D that makes you call it "seriously de-featured"?

I'd say for an entry level model it's quite the opposite and a very
capable camera. If you don't need a big buffer, weather sealing or 10MP
(The 6MP sensor outperforms the 10MP Sony sensor when it comes to high
ISO low noise performance) it's a very viable alternative.

Sander
Old October 22nd 07, 08:20 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article YY4Ti.6665$Hv4.1173@amstwist00, Sander
wrote:

SMS wrote:

Just avoid the K100D and D40/D40x at all costs. These are seriously
de-featured models, and you'll regret not moving up the product line one
step.

What is it about the K100D that makes you call it "seriously de-featured"?

it doesn't fit his narrow minded view of what a camera should be and he
also assumes that everyone requires the exact same features he does.

I'd say for an entry level model it's quite the opposite and a very
capable camera. If you don't need a big buffer, weather sealing or 10MP
(The 6MP sensor outperforms the 10MP Sony sensor when it comes to high
ISO low noise performance) it's a very viable alternative.

don't forget built in stabilization, all for about $500. it is a very
nice camera for the money, as is the d40 at about the same price point.
and for those who don't care about stabilization there is the k110d for
slightly less. also, pentax lenses are easy to find and not in as much
demand as nikon or canon glass and there are definitely some excellent
bargains to be had.
Old October 23rd 07, 02:43 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
SMS

dj_nme wrote:

It is usually best to use the lenses you've got with the camera moutn
they were designed for, as you won't need adapters and the lens features
should work as designed.

Amusingly, some older Nikon lenses work better on a new Canon body, with
an adapter, than they work on a new Nikon body without any adapter.
Old October 23rd 07, 02:58 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
SMS

Sander wrote:
SMS wrote:

Just avoid the K100D and D40/D40x at all costs. These are seriously
de-featured models, and you'll regret not moving up the product line
one step.

What is it about the K100D that makes you call it "seriously de-featured"?

-Resolution is too low for large prints (K10D is of sufficient resolution)

-No Li-Ion battery (K10D has it) so battery life is lower than K10D and
most other Li-Ion powered cameras (almost all D-SLRs are Li-Ion powered
because of the tremendous advantage of Li-Ion batteries, see
"http://batterydata.com")

-Poor continuous shooting mode due to small buffer (K10D has a large
buffer and has fast continuous shooting)

-No LCD backlighting (K10D has it)

-No battery grip available (K10D has it)

-Auto-focus is slow (K10D auto-focus is much faster)

I guess I was a bit harsh saying to avoid it at all costs. if you want a
very low priced D-SLR, and can live with the limitations, the K100D is
okay. It's $395 now with the kit lens, after $100 rebate
("http://www.buydig.com/shop/product.aspx?sku=PKK100DS1855"). That's a
heck of a deal for an IS D-SLR, and if price is the main consideration,
and you want to use it with existing Pentax lenses, then it's an okay
choice.