Pentax K100D K100DS Help

Old July 18th 07, 09:48 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
spock

Default Pentax K100D K100DS Help

Hello Everyone
I read some people are not happy with the Pentax K100D something to do
with poor quality focused images.
Is this a urban myth or is it really so. If this is so is the K100DS any
better?
I am considering buying the K100DS when it is available here.

Thank you.

Old July 18th 07, 10:05 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
John Bean

On Wed, 18 Jul 2007 18:18:38 +0930, "spock"
wrote:

I read some people are not happy with the Pentax K100D something to do
with poor quality focused images.

Not sure whether you mean "poor quality even when focused"
or "poor quality because of bad focus".

Is this a urban myth or is it really so. If this is so is the K100DS any
better?

Every camera has complaints made against it by somebody. The
vast majority of happy users rarely make much noise about it
but a few malcontents make their problem sound like the end
of the world.

The short answer is there is no fundamental problem with the
camera. Nobody can comment yet on the revised version yet in
any case, such comment would be simply speculation.

--
John Bean
Old July 18th 07, 10:59 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Pete D[_2_]

wrote:

I read some people are not happy with the Pentax K100D something to do
with poor quality focused images.

Not sure whether you mean "poor quality even when focused"
or "poor quality because of bad focus".

Is this a urban myth or is it really so. If this is so is the K100DS any
better?

Every camera has complaints made against it by somebody. The
vast majority of happy users rarely make much noise about it
but a few malcontents make their problem sound like the end
of the world.

The short answer is there is no fundamental problem with the
camera. Nobody can comment yet on the revised version yet in
any case, such comment would be simply speculation.

--
John Bean

So where did he hear this myth do you think John, sounds more made up to me?

The reviews I have seen have only been positive, even at DP Review and Phil
has a thing about Pentax in general.

Old July 18th 07, 11:23 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
John Bean

On Wed, 18 Jul 2007 19:59:08 +1000, "Pete D"
wrote:
So where did he hear this myth do you think John, sounds more made up to me?

Who knows, but I doubt it was made up. You see all the same
crap I see in places like dpreview when someone complains
about fron/back focus, pattern noise, easily lost eyecups
(remember George?) and a whole list of other stuff. One
complaint generates torrents of "discussion", no matter that
the "issue" is real or imagined. Worse, you see people
jumping on the bandwagon and starting new threads on the
same subject, making it look like a bigger "issue" than it
actually is. I can easily imagine a casual visitor getting
the wrong impression of a camera if he hadn't followed the
earlier discussion.

The *vast* majority of happy users go completely unnoticed
in favour of the tiny but loud minority, same reason news
headlines never say "Everything is just fine".

The reviews I have seen have only been positive, even at DP Review and Phil
has a thing about Pentax in general.

Exactly.

--
John Bean
Old July 18th 07, 03:46 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
SMS

spock wrote:
Hello Everyone
I read some people are not happy with the Pentax K100D something to do
with poor quality focused images.
Is this a urban myth or is it really so. If this is so is the K100DS any
better?
I am considering buying the K100DS when it is available here.

The DS adds dust reduction and support for the new generation of lenses
with Supersonic Drive Motor, but that's all. The image quality should be
the same. "Some people" are never happy, but all reviews I've read have
been positive about the K100D.

The K10D looks especially nice, and offers several features not
available on the lower-end model, besides the higher resolution. It's
well worth the extra $$$ if you can afford it. In the U.S. the body-only
sells for under $850. Two big advantages are the availability of a
vertical battery grip, and the included Li-Ion battery and charger. You
get more than 50% more shots per charge with the K10D that with the
K100D/DS. Another advantage is the "JPEG+RAW" capability.
Old July 19th 07, 12:27 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
J. F. Cornwall

spock wrote:

Hello Everyone
I read some people are not happy with the Pentax K100D something to do
with poor quality focused images.
Is this a urban myth or is it really so. If this is so is the K100DS any
better?
I am considering buying the K100DS when it is available here.

Thank you.

The only poorly focused images out of my K100D have been my own damn
fault... The camera is fine, the lenses I have used are fine, just the
photographer has had some fumbles.

Jim
Old July 19th 07, 03:28 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
spock

I had a look at a K100D today the question is do I wait until the super
comes out
which won't be available here until maybe september or
Do I get the K100D now?
Does the K100D have dust problem?

Thanks

Old July 19th 07, 06:41 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
John Bean

On Thu, 19 Jul 2007 16:28:13 GMT, SayWhat
wrote:

On Thu, 19 Jul 2007 23:58:57 +0930, "spock"
wrote:

I had a look at a K100D today the question is do I wait until the super
comes out
which won't be available here until maybe september or
Do I get the K100D now?
Does the K100D have dust problem?

Thanks

***ALL*** digital SLRs have a dust problem.

My Olympus E-1 has never had any kind of dust problem.

--
John Bean
Old July 19th 07, 08:02 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
John Bean

wrote:

I had a look at a K100D today the question is do I wait until the super
comes out
which won't be available here until maybe september or
Do I get the K100D now?
Does the K100D have dust problem?

Thanks

***ALL*** digital SLRs have a dust problem.

My Olympus E-1 has never had any kind of dust problem.

While the E-1 has a good method to deal with dust it has to deal with it because
it _is_ a problem.

It's not a problem *for me*.

The ultrasonic cleaning will do nothing to particulates that
might adhere to the sensor, or dust that attaches when minor condensation
happens to get on the sensor when changing lenses under varying temperature and
humidity conditions, or static charges between you and the ground and air are
higher than can be compensated for by the ultrasonic motion.

Whatever. In real-world use I've never had need to clean it,
ever. This is my experience of the E-1... have you owned and
used one?

Or you never changed your lens outside of laboratory "clean-room" conditions --
meaning you bought a very very expensive, noisy, and mirror-shaking P&S camera.

Nonsense, I change lenses whenever and wherever needed.

Just because your digital SLR has a better way of dealing with the dust problem
doesn't mean it's still not a major problem with ***ALL*** of them.

Of course it does. It's not a problem at all *to me*, and
that's all that matters.

PS: I've been using digital SLRs since 2002, and the E-1 is
the only dSLR I've owned that has never needed dust
cleaning. Theorise all you want, but I have real-world
evidence that what you say is not actually true, no matter
how many stars you want to put around the word "all" for
emphasis.

PPS: the shaking sensor method used by Pentax doesn't work,
so we can agree on that at least.

--
John Bean
Old July 19th 07, 11:12 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Pete D[_2_]

wrote:

[...]

Agree John, it is indeed a *****problem***** but it is quite minor, only
happens occasionally and easily dealt with. What some of these trolls seem
to forget is that the sensor is only ever exposed when you are taking a shot
because it is hidden behind the shutter curtain the rest of the time and oh
yes a big fat mirror. I have travelled extensively in very dusty conditions
in Australia and with just a little care it is only a * very minor* issue.

Cheers.

Pete