Confused over Lens (Part II)

Old March 1st 07, 08:59 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
abbasam via PhotoKB.com

Default Confused over Lens (Part II)

Hello All,

Thanks for writing in detail in my previous post. I have been taking shots
with my kit lens 18-55,
well its not all that bad, just need to get the hang of it.
So my point, with the crop factor the kit lens would be equivalent to 28-88mm
on the 35mm film.
Interestingly, I have noticed that the kit lens is wide enough for me, but I
do need some more zoom for the kind of pictures that I take.

Hence, now I am looking at the Sigma 70-300 and the canon 75-300 III (non USM)

There is a minuscule price difference between the two. Which one should I
go for?
I have seen many write ups on the sigma 70-300; that is soft on the border
post 250mm. But haven't seen any comments or write ups on the 70-300.
Have you any experience with these respective lenses. If anyone has used or
has one please be kind enough to comment.

Once again thanks to all,

Cheers,
Abbas

Old March 1st 07, 09:13 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
[email protected]

On 1 Mar, 08:59, "abbasam via PhotoKB.com" u24240@uwe wrote:
[...]

I have the Canon 90-300mm (basically the same as the 75-300) and the
Sigma 70-300 APO DG Macro. I would suggest that unless size/weight is
an issue then the Sigma is the better lens. It also allows you to
perform 1:2 macro shots which at 300mm means you get a decent macro
from a distance which is great for macros of objects you cant (or
daren't) get too close to.

Allan

Old March 1st 07, 01:20 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Randall Ainsworth

In article 6e85a1a557f5a@uwe, abbasam via PhotoKB.com u24240@uwe
wrote:

There is a minuscule price difference between the two. Which one should I
go for?
I have seen many write ups on the sigma 70-300; that is soft on the border
post 250mm. But haven't seen any comments or write ups on the 70-300.
Have you any experience with these respective lenses. If anyone has used or
has one please be kind enough to comment.

When in doubt, go with OEM and ignore Sigma.
Old March 1st 07, 06:33 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Paul Furman

abbasam via PhotoKB.com wrote:

Hello All,

Thanks for writing in detail in my previous post. I have been taking shots
with my kit lens 18-55,
well its not all that bad, just need to get the hang of it.
So my point, with the crop factor the kit lens would be equivalent to 28-88mm
on the 35mm film.
Interestingly, I have noticed that the kit lens is wide enough for me, but I
do need some more zoom for the kind of pictures that I take.

Hence, now I am looking at the Sigma 70-300 and the canon 75-300 III (non USM)

There is a minuscule price difference between the two. Which one should I
go for?

I'm guessing the Sigma has a faster f/stop range if it's the same price.
Do you have the 'long name' of these two lenses? The problem with Sigma
is less quality control, possible compatibility issues with a future
camera body and poorer resale value. Some of them perform well though.

I have seen many write ups on the sigma 70-300; that is soft on the border
post 250mm. But haven't seen any comments or write ups on the 70-300.

Crappy lenses don't really get reviewed. Not saying that's the case but
it may be an indicator.

Old March 1st 07, 07:53 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Pete D

wrote:

There is a minuscule price difference between the two. Which one should
go for?
I have seen many write ups on the sigma 70-300; that is soft on the
border
post 250mm. But haven't seen any comments or write ups on the 70-300.
Have you any experience with these respective lenses. If anyone has used
or
has one please be kind enough to comment.

When in doubt, go with OEM and ignore Sigma.

Actually that would be wrong. When in doubt do your research proprerly so
you can be properly informed would be much cleverer.

The Sigma 70-300mm DG APO is quite cheap and performs reasonably well, the
macro feature is also quite good.

Here is one I took using the macro feature with a 20mm extension tube..

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/165/4...563ce9d0_o.jpg

Old March 1st 07, 09:59 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Charles Schuler

"abbasam via PhotoKB.com" u24240@uwe wrote in message
[...]

I own both Sigma lenses and Canon lenses and find both to be good values.
Here is a shot taken with the Canon 75-300:

http://home.comcast.net/~charlesschu...8/site1056.jpg

Old March 6th 07, 03:50 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Phil, Non-Squid

[...]

You won't be able to auto focus in low light with the Sigma.
--
Phil