Shooting High School Football + Using flash

Old September 8th 06, 02:35 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital
EarGuy

Default Shooting High School Football + Using flash

I'll be on the sidelines of my local high school football team taking photos
for them. Using Canon 10D with a Sigma 80-200 f/2.0,monopod.

I've shot community league games and found that even shooting at high ISO's,
I'm woefully lacking light. I'm hoping the high school will have a little
more light in its night games.

What is the general opinion of using a flash (Speedlight 400) in this
situation? Is it distracting to the players? I wouldn't be using it a
whole lot since it really only buys me a stop or two at a distance of about
15 yards. But it might come in handy for goal line stands, etc.

Any other advice?

Dave
earguy

Old September 8th 06, 02:48 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital
MarkČ

EarGuy wrote:
I'll be on the sidelines of my local high school football team taking
photos for them. Using Canon 10D with a Sigma 80-200 f/2.0,monopod.

I've shot community league games and found that even shooting at high
ISO's, I'm woefully lacking light. I'm hoping the high school will
have a little more light in its night games.

What is the general opinion of using a flash (Speedlight 400) in this
situation? Is it distracting to the players? I wouldn't be using it
a whole lot since it really only buys me a stop or two at a distance
of about 15 yards. But it might come in handy for goal line stands,
etc.

Any other advice?

Ask the coaches if they care. If they don't, you're fine. If they
do...then you're stuck with what all the pro shooters are stuck with...no
flash. In my personal opinion, it's not very helpful anyway, and is not
likely worth the complaints. It can indeed be distracting...especially to
defending players who are zeroing in on the guy with the ball, and often
looking in your direction as you blast your subject with as high-power a
flash as you can muster. Not the best plan. Your 10D should render very
decent result even at ISO 1600...and if you can't get decent speeds with
that and your f2, then I think you're not likely to get it with what tiny
bit of extra, short-range flash you might add.

www.pbase.com/markuson

Old September 8th 06, 05:47 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital
John McWilliams

MarkČ wrote:
EarGuy wrote:
[...]

You must live in a different part of the world than I do. Our local HS
has lighting that's poor to indifferent. At night games, flash is
essential. All the photogs use them, and I wouldn't do them if it were
banned. But I use a 580 and 550 for a bit of reach.

--
John McWilliams
Old September 8th 06, 07:16 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital
MarkČ

John McWilliams wrote:
MarkČ wrote:
EarGuy wrote:
[...]

Are you shooting at f2?? If you are, then you should do OK even under
modest lighting at ISO 1600. I suspect he's not REALLY shooting at f2,
because that would be one H-U-G-E lens at 200mm.

www.pbase.com/markuson

Old September 8th 06, 12:02 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital
Joseph Meehan

EarGuy wrote:
I'll be on the sidelines of my local high school football team taking
photos for them. Using Canon 10D with a Sigma 80-200 f/2.0,monopod.

I've shot community league games and found that even shooting at high
ISO's, I'm woefully lacking light. I'm hoping the high school will
have a little more light in its night games.

What is the general opinion of using a flash (Speedlight 400) in this
situation? Is it distracting to the players? I wouldn't be using it
a whole lot since it really only buys me a stop or two at a distance
of about 15 yards. But it might come in handy for goal line stands,
etc.

Any other advice?

Dave
earguy

Fast lens, slower shutter speed etc. Frankly I don't fine flash much
use, even very powerful flashes, which is what you are going to need. Learn
to find the peak of the action. It takes more skill on the part of the
photographer, but in the long run I believe it is better.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

Old September 8th 06, 03:48 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital
John McWilliams

MarkČ wrote:
John McWilliams wrote:
MarkČ wrote:
EarGuy wrote:
I'll be on the sidelines of my local high school football team
taking photos for them. Using Canon 10D with a Sigma 80-200
f/2.0,monopod. I've shot community league games and found that even

Snipped bits out
You must live in a different part of the world than I do. Our local HS
has lighting that's poor to indifferent. At night games, flash is
essential. All the photogs use them, and I wouldn't do them if it were
banned. But I use a 580 and 550 for a bit of reach.

Are you shooting at f2?? If you are, then you should do OK even under
modest lighting at ISO 1600. I suspect he's not REALLY shooting at f2,
because that would be one H-U-G-E lens at 200mm.

It's @ ƒ 2.8, or ƒ 4.0 depending on camera and lens. And I never go over
ISO 800 unless I absolutely have to. And I was too lazy to look up the
Sigma, also quite sure it was a 2.8....

--
john mcwilliams