Got my Sony Alpha today!

Old August 3rd 06, 01:41 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
[email protected]

Default Got my Sony Alpha today!

There probably aren't a lot of these around... the Sony store only got 2 in.

Unfortunately I didn't have time today to play much since all hell broke loose
at work with a city wide power failure, I had to run around checking backup
battery's and generators... plus my truck was in the garage I had a spare with
no AC and man it was hot, and my cell phone broke and... hey I didn't eat yet...

Anyway, I managed to reset the camera and an old mem card and set some things on
the menu... took a few test shots...

So far...

Well it really feels like a Minolta, with the knob/button menu features, and
multi-page menus... reminds me of my Dimage... way way different from my D70.

The steady cam feature seems to work very well - I took a hand held shot of a CD
at 1/10 sec, 70mm, f5.6, ISO 400, and it is sharp! The small writing around the
edge is perfect! Can't wait to really test this...

Lots of people are talking about this camera, lots of brand snobs as well. I
know a guy who will say it's crap just because it isn't a Canon. (as if he had
anything to do with Canon superiority... all he did was buy one - wow what
talent!) I know another who will love it because it's Sony! He's a Sony freak!
So what? It's a camera, it takes good pictures, it was cheap. I like it. If
you don't like it, don't buy one.

If you aren't on the design teams for any of these cameras, you really have no
say in them. What you think is merely your opinion. And opinions are like
assholes - everyone has one, and they usually stink!

Now why did I buy it? Because I needed a backup camera to compliment my D70,
and am on a budget since I want to get a truly advanced camera maybe next year,
and have the D70 as backup. I would have loved to buy the 30D or the D200, but I
want to wait to see if Nikon will bring out a quieter sensor. Since I have a bag
full of Nikon lenses, I want to stick with Nikon. I know if I bought the Canon
I'd want a ton of Canon lenses as well. With the Sony, I may buy only 1 more
lens.

Anyway - more on how this camera performs tomorrow. I will be basing my
comparisons on my D70 since that's the only other camera I own in this league.

Peace!

Bob
Old August 3rd 06, 09:17 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Pete D

but Sony
won't be making a vertical grip for it, and that's the one thing I can't
live without...

Pete.

Why not?

Pete D

Old August 3rd 06, 01:43 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Mike Warren

Joan wrote:
My D50 has an 18-200 VR on it most of the time.

How are you finding that lens, now that youv'e had it for a
while?

-Mike

Old August 3rd 06, 03:58 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems

Pete D wrote:
but Sony
won't be making a vertical grip for it, and that's the one thing I
can't live without...

Pete.

Why not?

Pete D

I've had it on all my cameras for years (Minolta film, Canon digital), and
it just seems so natural to have the essential controls available in the
correct position when taking portraits. Plus, especially with my current
350D, it brings the camera up to a reasonable size for my hands!

Pete.