Moon shot

Old July 5th 15, 07:09 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Bill W

Default Moon shot

On Sat, 4 Jul 2015 22:59:07 -0700 (PDT), RichA
wrote:

It was low in the sky, causing atmospheric refraction (kind of like chromatic aberration, but in the sky) so I turned it black and white.

http://www.pbase.com/andersonrm/imag...40995/original

What lens?
Old July 7th 15, 11:18 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Me

wrote:

It was low in the sky, causing atmospheric refraction (kind of like chromatic aberration, but in the sky) so I turned it black and white.

http://www.pbase.com/andersonrm/imag...40995/original

What lens?

900mm f/7.5 apo telescope.

This from Tamron 150-600 hand-held:
http://i.imgur.com/Q31Cz2O.jpg
Old July 7th 15, 01:48 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_6_]

wrote:

It was low in the sky, causing atmospheric refraction (kind of like
chromatic aberration, but in the sky) so I turned it black and white.

http://www.pbase.com/andersonrm/imag...40995/original

What lens?

900mm f/7.5 apo telescope.

This from Tamron 150-600 hand-held:
http://i.imgur.com/Q31Cz2O.jpg

What camera are you using?
Some of my friends have a Canon and that lens works fine. I know Tamron
had an issue with Nikon. Do you know if that has been cleared up?

--
PeterN
Old July 7th 15, 09:18 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Me

wrote:

It was low in the sky, causing atmospheric refraction (kind of like
chromatic aberration, but in the sky) so I turned it black and white.

http://www.pbase.com/andersonrm/imag...40995/original

What lens?

900mm f/7.5 apo telescope.

This from Tamron 150-600 hand-held:
http://i.imgur.com/Q31Cz2O.jpg

What camera are you using?
Some of my friends have a Canon and that lens works fine. I know Tamron
had an issue with Nikon. Do you know if that has been cleared up?

D800E. I haven't had any issues - it also works fine on the D300 I gave
to my son. I've heard of problems with the lens intermittently not
responding on some Nikon bodies, but I'd guess that some of these are
self-inflicted from mishandling. Though it's not much heavier than say a
70-200, it's much longer extended and will exert much more leverage on
the mount. Good idea (IMO) to remove the camera body straps and rings
completely (instead use a sling type strap attached to the lens foot)
and be anal when handing the camera/lens to anybody who wants to take a
look - as other people will try to hold the combination by the body
alone - without supporting the lens.

Old July 7th 15, 10:41 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_6_]

wrote:

[...]

thanks. Nice to hear that. I had previously posted that when I tested
that lens at Photo Expo the lens had issues with exposure tracking. I
use a D800 and am seriously considering that lens. Right now the longest
I have is the Nikon 80-400, which I use with the 1.4 teleconverter. As
you know the D800 focuses at f8. (center focus only.)

--
PeterN
Old July 8th 15, 03:40 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Me

wrote:

[...]

I assume you've got the 80-400 "D" - not the new "G".
I think the D800/E 11 central focus points are rated f5.6-f8. They work
fine with the 800E at 600mm. The outer focus points also work, but are
noticeably more prone to hunt.
Shooting at 400mm is challenging. Being able to do it hand-held with
relative ease with that lens is great. It's scratched an itch I've had
for a long time for having a long telephoto:
http://static.panoramio.com/photos/o.../121302355.jpg

Old July 8th 15, 12:05 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
M-M[_2_]

In article , Me
wrote:

Shooting at 400mm is challenging. Being able to do it hand-held with
relative ease with that lens is great. It's scratched an itch I've had
for a long time for having a long telephoto:
http://static.panoramio.com/photos/o.../121302355.jpg

"scratched an itch"...nice!

--
m-m
http://www.mhmyers.com
Old July 8th 15, 03:01 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_6_]

wrote:

[...]

I have the new lens. Its tracking is considerably faster and slightly
sharper than the old, but not as fast, or as sharp, as my 70-200 with
the 1.7 teleconverter.
I really like the Nikon 600 f4. But there are both physical and fiscal
reasons why I won't get it.

I think the D800/E 11 central focus points are rated f5.6-f8. They work
fine with the 800E at 600mm. The outer focus points also work, but are
noticeably more prone to hunt.
Shooting at 400mm is challenging. Being able to do it hand-held with
relative ease with that lens is great. It's scratched an itch I've had
for a long time for having a long telephoto:
http://static.panoramio.com/photos/o.../121302355.jpg

My first telephoto was the Nikon 500mm mirror, complete with leather
ccase and leather lens cap, which I bought used. I still have the lens,
but I rarely use it.

--
PeterN
Old July 9th 15, 05:42 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_6_]

On 7/9/2015 12:03 AM, RichA wrote:

snip

Mirror lenses look fine (provided they are any good) if the scene avoids specular highlights or other small light sources.

There are times when the doughnut like OOF specular highlight is exactly
what I want in my image.

--
PeterN