2nd try

Old July 29th 14, 01:47 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN

Default 2nd try

My 2nd attempt at a mandrill in which I incorporated some of the
suggestions he

The guy is the boss:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/97242118/mamdro%3B%3B%202nd%20try.jpg

In this image he looks friendlier.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/97242118/mandrill3648.jpg

--
PeterN
Old July 29th 14, 03:00 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2014-07-29 00:47:40 +0000, PeterN said:

My 2nd attempt at a mandrill in which I incorporated some of the
suggestions he

The guy is the boss:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/97242118/mamdro%3B%3B%202nd%20try.jpg

Much better!
I see you went with the 70-200mm this time, good decision.
You just couldn't resist the TC though. Bad decision!

In this image he looks friendlier.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/97242118/mandrill3648.jpg

With this one you pushed the TC to its limit and the image has suffered
with the very soft edges, even though you were at f/11

Just leave the TC at home and crop in post.

Savageduck

Old July 29th 14, 12:55 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN

On 2014-07-29 00:47:40 +0000, PeterN said:

My 2nd attempt at a mandrill in which I incorporated some of the
suggestions he

The guy is the boss:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/97242118/mamdro%3B%3B%202nd%20try.jpg

Much better!
I see you went with the 70-200mm this time, good decision.
You just couldn't resist the TC though. Bad decision!

In this image he looks friendlier.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/97242118/mandrill3648.jpg

With this one you pushed the TC to its limit and the image has suffered
with the very soft edges, even though you were at f/11

Strange, My exif shows 2.8.
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/97242118/Untitled-1.jpg

I suspect what you see as soft was light scatter caused by my strobe:
being to far from the glass; and I had accidentally left the diffuser
on. I have been looking for a mounting bracket to fix the first issue.

Old July 29th 14, 03:13 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2014-07-29 00:47:40 +0000, PeterN said:

My 2nd attempt at a mandrill in which I incorporated some of the
suggestions he

The guy is the boss:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/97242118/mamdro%3B%3B%202nd%20try.jpg

Much better!
I see you went with the 70-200mm this time, good decision.
You just couldn't resist the TC though. Bad decision!

In this image he looks friendlier.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/97242118/mandrill3648.jpg

With this one you pushed the TC to its limit and the image has suffered
with the very soft edges, even though you were at f/11

Strange, My exif shows 2.8.
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/97242118/Untitled-1.jpg

That is the metadata ID for the lens "70-200mm f/2.8".
That doesn't mean that evreything is going to be shot at f/2.8. It
means the widest aperture for that lens is f/2.8 and it can maintain
that maximum throughout the zoom range.
The aperture you shot at was f/11. You shot with aperture priority

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/1295663/FileChute/screenshot_823.jpg

I suspect what you see as soft was light scatter caused by my strobe:
being to far from the glass; and I had accidentally left the diffuser
on. I have been looking for a mounting bracket to fix the first issue.

Perhaps. However, unnecessary elements added to an excellent lens makes
better sense. Just because TCs exist doesn't mean they are a
particularly good choice. they will always be a compromise, and there
is never a free lunch with regard to IQ.
Also consider that once you add that TC you no longer have that f/2.8
lens, eventhough the chip in the lens will ID it as a 70-200mm f/2.8.
So take my advice below. More is not always better.

Old July 29th 14, 06:26 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN

On 2014-07-29 00:47:40 +0000, PeterN
said:

[...]

I misread my exif file.

Just leave the TC at home and crop in post.

We do not agree on that issue.
Just look at the smooth skin tone on this subject.
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/97242118/Thanksgiving%20escapee.jpg

--
PeterN
Old July 30th 14, 02:02 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

Savageduck wrote:

Also consider that once you add that TC you no longer have that f/2.8
lens, eventhough the chip in the lens will ID it as a 70-200mm f/2.8.

depends on the teleconverter. some will send the effective aperture
while others just pass the lens data on through.
Old July 30th 14, 02:38 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2014-07-30 01:02:21 +0000, nospam said:

Savageduck wrote:

Also consider that once you add that TC you no longer have that f/2.8
lens, eventhough the chip in the lens will ID it as a 70-200mm f/2.8.

depends on the teleconverter. some will send the effective aperture
while others just pass the lens data on through.

When the metadata/EXIF IDs the lens as a 70-200mm f/2.8 and the image
is shot at 340mm on a D800 @ f/11, it tells me what aperture the shot
was made at, and it tells me that this 70-200mm f/2.8 has at least a TC
0.7 at max zoom. Add to that the use of flash and ISO 2000, it seems to
me that there is still a fair degree of Russian roulette shooting going
on.
Peter says he misread the EXIF as f/2.8, but this was shot in aperture
priority @ f/11, so who set that aperture if not him?
Then he says the edge softness might be due to the flash. Once more my
BS meter twitches.

I will continue to say this, the addition of the TC to a Nikkor
70-200mm f/2.8 in addition to the exposure settings used amounts to
compromising the potential of a great lens. The TC can be useful under
some circumstances, this particular shoot and subject, is in my opinion
not one of them.

Savageduck

Old July 30th 14, 03:57 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

On Tue, 29 Jul 2014 18:38:43 -0700, Savageduck
wrote:

I will continue to say this, the addition of the TC to a Nikkor
70-200mm f/2.8 in addition to the exposure settings used amounts to
compromising the potential of a great lens. The TC can be useful under
some circumstances, this particular shoot and subject, is in my opinion
not one of them.

Some months ago I read very good things of the TC20-III on the last
two 70-200mm lens, with the warning that the TC2-20-II is a waste of
money with those lenses. Unfortunately I can't remember where I read
it.

Eric Stevens
Old July 30th 14, 02:43 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN

On 2014-07-30 01:02:21 +0000, nospam said:

Savageduck wrote:

Also consider that once you add that TC you no longer have that f/2.8
lens, eventhough the chip in the lens will ID it as a 70-200mm f/2.8.

depends on the teleconverter. some will send the effective aperture
while others just pass the lens data on through.

When the metadata/EXIF IDs the lens as a 70-200mm f/2.8 and the image is
shot at 340mm on a D800 @ f/11, it tells me what aperture the shot was
made at, and it tells me that this 70-200mm f/2.8 has at least a TC 0.7
at max zoom. Add to that the use of flash and ISO 2000, it seems to me
that there is still a fair degree of Russian roulette shooting going on.
Peter says he misread the EXIF as f/2.8, but this was shot in aperture
priority @ f/11, so who set that aperture if not him?
Then he says the edge softness might be due to the flash. Once more my
BS meter twitches.

The image was a crop from the center. Edge falloff would not be a
factor, especially with the TC 17.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/97242118/20140727_bronz%20zoo_5289.NEF

Old July 30th 14, 03:00 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN

wrote:

I will continue to say this, the addition of the TC to a Nikkor
70-200mm f/2.8 in addition to the exposure settings used amounts to
compromising the potential of a great lens. The TC can be useful under
some circumstances, this particular shoot and subject, is in my opinion
not one of them.

Some months ago I read very good things of the TC20-III on the last
two 70-200mm lens, with the warning that the TC2-20-II is a waste of
money with those lenses. Unfortunately I can't remember where I read
it.

Can't say. This shot was made using the TC17II. I have some reasonably
sharp, cropped images, using that combination.

This one from a canoe:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/97242118/20140101_sanibel.jpg

Hand held:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/97242118/20140103_more%20birds%26%20test%20shots_3839.jpg