Extention Tubes - Canon or Kenko

Old February 9th 08, 08:14 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Charles

Default Extention Tubes - Canon or Kenko

Kenko is cheaper, anything else to consider? I just want to reduce
minimum focusing distance.
Old February 9th 08, 09:21 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Gautam Majumdar

Charles wrote:

Kenko is cheaper, anything else to consider? I just want to reduce
minimum focusing distance.

Kenco old model is incompatible with EF-S lenses. Make sure you get the new
model. Otherwise Kenco is as good as Canon's.

--
gautam
Old February 9th 08, 09:32 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Troy Piggins[_10_]

* Charles is quoted & my replies are inline below :
Kenko is cheaper, anything else to consider? I just want to reduce
minimum focusing distance.

The full set of Kenko tubes gives 36mm + 20mm + 12mm. Canon only
comes in 12mm and 25mm. So you can get higher mag with Kenko
full set.

There is no glass, so to me the quality is less important - they
just provide more space between lens and sensor. Mind you, the
quality isn't bad.

Don't know what lens you have, but if it's EF-S make sure you get
the right tubes. The newer ones will AF for EF-S lenses, the
older ones didn't.

That's all I can think of for now.

--
Troy Piggins
Please feel free to provide constructive criticism on any photos I post. I'm
Old February 10th 08, 01:40 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
EAL

On Sun, 10 Feb 2008 06:32:02 +1000, Troy Piggins
wrote:

* Charles is quoted & my replies are inline below :
Kenko is cheaper, anything else to consider? I just want to reduce
minimum focusing distance.

The full set of Kenko tubes gives 36mm + 20mm + 12mm. Canon only
comes in 12mm and 25mm. So you can get higher mag with Kenko
full set.

There is no glass, so to me the quality is less important - they
just provide more space between lens and sensor. Mind you, the
quality isn't bad.

Don't know what lens you have, but if it's EF-S make sure you get
the right tubes. The newer ones will AF for EF-S lenses, the
older ones didn't.

That's all I can think of for now.

I have one of the Canon ones, works fine with EF-S lenses. Now... can
I use the Canon extension tube with Kenko ones to get more space, if
the Canon one goes on the lens?
Old February 10th 08, 04:11 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Charles

On Sat, 09 Feb 2008 11:14:17 -0800, Charles
wrote:

Kenko is cheaper, anything else to consider? I just want to reduce
minimum focusing distance.

thanks to all who responded. It's ordered, so don't anyone tell me
different now.

:-)

Old February 10th 08, 12:35 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Troy Piggins[_10_]

* EAL is quoted & my replies are inline below :
wrote:

* Charles is quoted & my replies are inline below :
Kenko is cheaper, anything else to consider? I just want to reduce
minimum focusing distance.

The full set of Kenko tubes gives 36mm + 20mm + 12mm. Canon only
comes in 12mm and 25mm. So you can get higher mag with Kenko
full set.

There is no glass, so to me the quality is less important - they
just provide more space between lens and sensor. Mind you, the
quality isn't bad.

Don't know what lens you have, but if it's EF-S make sure you get
the right tubes. The newer ones will AF for EF-S lenses, the
older ones didn't.

That's all I can think of for now.

I have one of the Canon ones, works fine with EF-S lenses. Now... can
I use the Canon extension tube with Kenko ones to get more space, if
the Canon one goes on the lens?

No idea, haven't used a Canon one. But if all the contacts are
there from lens to body, I'd assume you can stack them. But you
know what they say about ass-u-me...

Old February 10th 08, 06:28 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Gautam Majumdar

EAL wrote:

I have one of the Canon ones, works fine with EF-S lenses. Now... can
I use the Canon extension tube with Kenko ones to get more space, if
the Canon one goes on the lens?

Yes. But the current Kenco set fits EF-S lenses. Pro-Optic set also fits
EF-S lenses. If you get one of those, there is no need to fit the Canon one
on the lens.

--
gautam
Old February 10th 08, 11:11 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
EAL

On Sun, 10 Feb 2008 09:48:26 -0800, "BobW"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

Kenko is cheaper, anything else to consider? I just want to reduce
minimum focusing distance.

thanks to all who responded. It's ordered, so don't anyone tell me
different now.

:-)

You didn't order the Kenko tubes, did you? They will cause your cmos sensor
to....

Just kidding. The Kenko tubes work great on my 20D, and MERCY can you get
close!

Not with the 17-55/2.8, you can't.

Ed