advice on camera purchase for artwork

Old January 12th 08, 12:08 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
dwolf[_2_]

Default advice on camera purchase for artwork

I'm looking to purchase a camera to shoot artwork I create.
My preferred way of shooting is to put the work on the wall.. set the camera
on a tripod, use no flash and just use natural light.. I've had great
results this way in the past with cameras I have. So I prefer not to get an
SLR, (just because)
I was very interested in the Olympus sp-560, but realized it may be a very
good camera, but If I'm only going to use it for this one purpose, than a
zoom is not something I need nor other bells and whistles. It's hard to
research cameras with the needs I am interested in... So I ask here.. Thanks
in advance

Joel

Old January 12th 08, 01:02 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
EAL

On Fri, 11 Jan 2008 18:08:00 -0500, "dwolf"
wrote:

I'm looking to purchase a camera to shoot artwork I create.
My preferred way of shooting is to put the work on the wall.. set the camera
on a tripod, use no flash and just use natural light.. I've had great
results this way in the past with cameras I have. So I prefer not to get an
SLR, (just because)
I was very interested in the Olympus sp-560, but realized it may be a very
good camera, but If I'm only going to use it for this one purpose, than a
zoom is not something I need nor other bells and whistles. It's hard to
research cameras with the needs I am interested in... So I ask here.. Thanks
in advance

Joel

How big is this artword? If not that big, then it might be a lot
easier to use a copy stand. Lie artwork on easel, mount camera above
it pointing down. Set up lights as required. Now all your shots are
square, and lighting is consistent.

So any digicam with a tripod mount should work. If you also need good
definition in the photos, then upgrade to a camera with a bigger
sensor.

If you have been getting great results before, why not just continue
the way you are?

Ed
Old January 12th 08, 01:16 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
dwolf[_2_]

Hi Ed,

Well actually I lied about one thing.. I use a Olympus 5050 to shoot my
work.. ( Custom Furniture ) and I'm content
My neighbor is the artist and she's looking to upgrade from her old point
and shoot.

The easel would be a good idea... but she may not want to purchase it.. but
it still comes back to a solid camera and gives you the best bang for your
buck, if there are just great shooters with simple good lens that does not
need to zoom much and does not need extra bells and whistles.. and if I were
to be tempted to upgrade my camera.. something I use a tripod for...

Joel

Old January 12th 08, 01:39 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Paul Furman

dwolf wrote:
I'm looking to purchase a camera to shoot artwork I create.
My preferred way of shooting is to put the work on the wall.. set the
camera on a tripod, use no flash and just use natural light.. I've had
great results this way in the past with cameras I have. So I prefer not
to get an SLR, (just because)
I was very interested in the Olympus sp-560, but realized it may be a
very good camera, but If I'm only going to use it for this one purpose,
than a zoom is not something I need nor other bells and whistles. It's
hard to research cameras with the needs I am interested in... So I ask
here.. Thanks in advance

Kind of hard to research but you don't want a lot of barrel or
pincushion distortion, assuming this is rectangular framed artwork.
Usually there is some point in the middle of the zoom range that comes
out balanced.

Hmm, that seems too ambitious of a lens with lots of compromises:
http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/SP560/SP560A4.HTM
Something with less zoom range would probably do better.
Old January 12th 08, 04:04 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
John Navas[_2_]

wrote in :

I'm looking to purchase a camera to shoot artwork I create.
My preferred way of shooting is to put the work on the wall.. set the camera
on a tripod, use no flash and just use natural light.. I've had great
results this way in the past with cameras I have. So I prefer not to get an
SLR, (just because)
I was very interested in the Olympus sp-560, but realized it may be a very
good camera, but If I'm only going to use it for this one purpose, than a
zoom is not something I need nor other bells and whistles. It's hard to
research cameras with the needs I am interested in... So I ask here.. Thanks
in advance

Canon PowerShot G6 (very good lens, low noise)
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-R1 (fantastic lens)

--
Best regards,
John Navas
Old January 13th 08, 03:52 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Guy

There is a lot of information on http://www.flaar.org/ about
photographing art, among other things. -Guy

Old January 13th 08, 01:35 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Shawn Hirn

In article ,
"dwolf" wrote:

Hi Ed,

Well actually I lied about one thing.. I use a Olympus 5050 to shoot my
work.. ( Custom Furniture ) and I'm content
My neighbor is the artist and she's looking to upgrade from her old point
and shoot.

The easel would be a good idea... but she may not want to purchase it.. but
it still comes back to a solid camera and gives you the best bang for your
buck, if there are just great shooters with simple good lens that does not
need to zoom much and does not need extra bells and whistles.. and if I were
to be tempted to upgrade my camera.. something I use a tripod for...

Joel;

So if you're satisfied with your Olympus 5050, it seems to me, your
research is done. Just buy another one, or a subsequent model. Honestly,
for your needs (or your friend's needs) any the major name brand cameras
in the price range of around $200-$300 would work fine.