How often do new cameras come out

Old January 7th 08, 12:28 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Ken

Default How often do new cameras come out

Wondering whether to take the plunge or hang back for a month or two in case
anything new comes out that better matches my needs?

Ken

Old January 7th 08, 02:09 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
David J Taylor[_4_]

Ken wrote:
Wondering whether to take the plunge or hang back for a month or two
in case anything new comes out that better matches my needs?

Ken

But in a month or two, the same argument applies!

What are your needs?

Go into a shop and hold the cameras you are considering. Try using them
with gloves on, if that's in your needs. See how the viewfinders suit
your eyes.

David

Old January 7th 08, 04:28 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
ray

On Mon, 07 Jan 2008 12:28:44 +0000, Ken wrote:

Wondering whether to take the plunge or hang back for a month or two in case
anything new comes out that better matches my needs?

Ken

Probably not in January or February. Most consumer electronics products
debut in the last summer into fall in preparation for Christmas sales. You
need to balance 'waiting and doing without' against having the latest
gizmo immediately after it arrives. I find that buying 'mature' products
saves a lot of money. But then only you can answer the question "Am I
interested in sufficiency or excellency?"

Old January 7th 08, 05:54 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Dennis Pogson

Ken wrote:
Wondering whether to take the plunge or hang back for a month or two
in case anything new comes out that better matches my needs?

Ken

Better to wait a month or two. Then repeat the process until you become a
millionaire.

It can take time, and will not make you happy watching others buying
cameras and other must-have items with the money your bankers lend to them.

Of course you could be knocked down by a bus tomorrow, and may not live to
find out the answer to your question!

Dennis.

Old January 7th 08, 06:10 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
EAL

On Mon, 7 Jan 2008 12:28:44 -0000, "Ken" Reply to NG only wrote:

Wondering whether to take the plunge or hang back for a month or two in case
anything new comes out that better matches my needs?

Ken

Yeah, the new Canon Rebel, successor to the XTi, will be announced
next month.

Ed
Old January 7th 08, 07:15 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Ali[_3_]

What are your 'needs'?

Old January 9th 08, 11:33 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Shawn Hirn

In article ,
"Ken" Reply to NG only wrote:

Wondering whether to take the plunge or hang back for a month or two in case
anything new comes out that better matches my needs?

Ken

If you need a digital camera now, buy now. If you can wait to buy a
digital camera, wait. One thing is for sure, it won't be long before the
next model of whatever digital camera you buy comes out, so don't worry
about it, your camera will still work.
Old January 9th 08, 05:09 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Ken

"David J Taylor"
wrote in message .uk...
Ken wrote:
Wondering whether to take the plunge or hang back for a month or two
in case anything new comes out that better matches my needs?

Ken

But in a month or two, the same argument applies!

What are your needs?

Go into a shop and hold the cameras you are considering. Try using them
with gloves on, if that's in your needs. See how the viewfinders suit
your eyes.

David

Hi David

I am the guy who bought an Olympus 410 and sent it back as it is not a
'straight out of the box' and use even on full auto. I am now testing a
Panasonic FZ18 and must say I am very pleasantly surprised so far. I will
probably keep it and get my Olympus 5060 repaired even though it is getting
old (3 years) but will do as back up? I will save the DSLR stage until I
retire and have far more time to get through the learning curve.

Ken

Old January 11th 08, 03:53 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
C J Campbell

On 2008-01-07 08:28:38 -0800, ray said:

On Mon, 07 Jan 2008 12:28:44 +0000, Ken wrote:

Wondering whether to take the plunge or hang back for a month or two in case
anything new comes out that better matches my needs?

Ken

Probably not in January or February. Most consumer electronics products
debut in the last summer into fall in preparation for Christmas sales. You
need to balance 'waiting and doing without' against having the latest
gizmo immediately after it arrives. I find that buying 'mature' products
saves a lot of money. But then only you can answer the question "Am I
interested in sufficiency or excellency?"

Well, there is PMA next month.
--
Waddling Eagle
World Famous Flight Instructor

Old January 11th 08, 03:55 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
C J Campbell

On 2008-01-07 10:10:00 -0800, EAL said:

On Mon, 7 Jan 2008 12:28:44 -0000, "Ken" Reply to NG only wrote:

Wondering whether to take the plunge or hang back for a month or two in case
anything new comes out that better matches my needs?

Ken

Yeah, the new Canon Rebel, successor to the XTi, will be announced
next month.

Ed

Indeed, as will the successors to the Nikon D40 and D80. Maybe. But he
doesn't want DSLRs.

Still, there will probably be a slew of point & shoots announced at PMA, too.