Good news for high volume data backup

Old January 7th 08, 12:51 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Frank ess

Default Good news for high volume data backup

PossumTrot wrote:
"Shawn Hirn" wrote in message

Hmm. You might be right, but considering that HD DVD has some
powerful supporters, don't knock it out yet. I also am not sure
optical disks would make good backup media only because writing to
them would be a heck of a lot slower than mechanical disk drives
or solid state devices.

I too assumed that the recent announcement that Warner had chosen
BluRay might mean the end of HD-DVD, but an article today says that
consumers have bought about 60% more HD-DVD machines than BluRay
(something like 500,000+ to 300,000+). One of the reasons for
those numbers may be that WalMart sells HD-DVD machines exclusively.

"For my part, my images are not worth backing up."

Who do you suppose said that? Or should have?

OT: Wasn't that long ago I saw a possum trotting. By the time I got
my camera, he was in a tree, hissing like a pointy-face cat.

My little companion animal, ET the Xoloitzquintli, did hold a skunk at
bay long enough that I could whip out my CP995:

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/28/48...258b7404_o.jpg

--
Frank ess

Old January 7th 08, 03:19 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Tony Cooper

On Sun, 6 Jan 2008 16:51:11 -0800, "Frank ess"
wrote:

OT: Wasn't that long ago I saw a possum trotting.

I think I've been through there. It's near Pigeon Forge, isn't it?
Seems like there was a good restaurant on the town square.

--

Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
Old January 7th 08, 04:44 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Bolshoi

On 6 Jan, 22:10, Jürgen Exner wrote:
Bolshoi wrote:
....500gb.....about 99 euro's in Carrefour

Fry's in the US just had a special: Seagate 500GB PATA for 99$ US.
At the current exchange rate that's just 67 Euro.

BTW: I'm pretty sure you didn't mean gramm bit (that would be gb) but giga
byte (that's GB) ;-))

jue

damn that Belgian beer ;-)
Old January 7th 08, 10:30 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
artix

Alfred Molon wrote:
http://www.timewarner.com/corp/newsr...700383,00.html

Warner chose to support only the higher capacity Blue Ray format (50GB
per disk for Blue Ray vs. 30GB per disk for HD DVD).

This could mean the death of the lower capacity HD DVD format and lower
costs for Blue Ray disks due to their mass use (economies of scale).

Good news for all photographers who have to backup Gigabytes and
Gigabytes of images :-)

That is good news indeed. Hopefully those disks will last longer than
average CDs.

--
artix
http://www.abstractart.ws _Abstract Art Directory_
Old January 7th 08, 01:00 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
PossumTrot[_3_]

Default OT:Possum Trot was the original name for what is now Kansas City

"Frank ess" wrote in message

PossumTrot wrote:
I too assumed that the recent announcement that Warner had chosen
BluRay might mean the end of HD-DVD, but an article today says that
consumers have bought about 60% more HD-DVD machines than BluRay
(something like 500,000+ to 300,000+). One of the reasons for
those numbers may be that WalMart sells HD-DVD machines exclusively.

OT: Wasn't that long ago I saw a possum trotting. By the time I got my
camera, he was in a tree, hissing like a pointy-face cat.
Frank ess

Frank, As a former denizen of Kansas City, Mo. I chose the moniker Possum
Trot to celebrate its history. The original settlers also considered
Rabbitville and Port Fonda, eventually chosing the name based on the Kansa
tribe which lived in the area..

Old January 9th 08, 03:23 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Frank ess

PossumTrot wrote:
"Frank ess" wrote in message

PossumTrot wrote:
I too assumed that the recent announcement that Warner had chosen
BluRay might mean the end of HD-DVD, but an article today says
that consumers have bought about 60% more HD-DVD machines than
BluRay (something like 500,000+ to 300,000+). One of the reasons
for those numbers may be that WalMart sells HD-DVD machines
exclusively.

OT: Wasn't that long ago I saw a possum trotting. By the time I
got my camera, he was in a tree, hissing like a pointy-face cat.
Frank ess

Frank, As a former denizen of Kansas City, Mo. I chose the moniker
Possum Trot to celebrate its history. The original settlers also
considered Rabbitville and Port Fonda, eventually chosing the name
based on the Kansa tribe which lived in the area..

Very interesting. Thank you.

It's going to get dark in KC come October: the Black Mustang Club will
be holding its national five-day meeting there. blackmustangclub.com.

--
Frank ess

Good news jolitani Digital Photography 0 December 24th 07 08:19 PM
CHDK NEWS: High-Speed Photography Breaks New Records! Dave G Digital Photography 3 December 3rd 07 10:18 AM
CHDK NEWS: High-Speed Photography Breaks New Records! Dave G Digital ZLR Cameras 0 December 2nd 07 12:19 AM
Good backup camera? jmc Digital Photography 12 February 18th 07 05:42 PM
More on Canon Rebel XT noise at high ISO - 2 main new data points All Things Mopar Digital SLR Cameras 139 January 16th 06 08:10 AM