Buying a laptop.. need a good display.. help me!

Old January 6th 08, 02:32 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Ron Hunter

Default Buying a laptop.. need a good display.. help me!

Snaggy wrote:
On Jan 5, 7:52 pm, Daniel Silevitch wrote:
On Sat, 5 Jan 2008 10:17:43 -0800 (PST), Snaggy wrote:
I'm buying a laptop and need advice for a display.
Max budget around 2000 dollars, pc (not apple mac)... I'll use it
mainly for photography and image editing, it's meant to replace the
desktop therefore I need a good display which can be calibrated
decently.
I know the latest mac displays (led backlit) are quite good on this
side, but as I told you I can't buy a mac.
What about the Dell inspiron 1720 with the High Resolution, glossy
widescreen 17.0 inch display (1920 x 1200)

Out of curiousity, is your objection to the Mac in the hardware or the
software? If the latter, a MacBook Pro with XP installed could be an
option.

-dms

I have no objections personally, i mean I'd love a mac, simply the
person for whom I'm buying this computer won't ever hear of it...
dunno why

Maybe he has a 'history' with Apple, as many of us older users do.
Old January 6th 08, 03:54 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Neil Ellwood[_4_]

On Sun, 06 Jan 2008 08:31:16 -0600, Ron Hunter wrote:

Some of the widescreens have 19200x1050, or more, screens. More than
enough resolution to show your images, and display two screens of
internet data at once.

That really is a widescreen - say 10 inches high and 14 foot wide. :-)

--
Neil
reverse ra and delete l
Old January 6th 08, 05:28 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Alfred Molon[_4_]

In article ,
says...

Some of the widescreens have 19200x1050, or more,

WOW
--

Alfred Molon
Old January 6th 08, 05:29 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Alfred Molon[_4_]

In article , cral.elllwood2
@bt.openworld.com says...
On Sun, 06 Jan 2008 08:31:16 -0600, Ron Hunter wrote:

Some of the widescreens have 19200x1050, or more, screens. More than
enough resolution to show your images, and display two screens of
internet data at once.

That really is a widescreen - say 10 inches high and 14 foot wide. :-)

Ideal for use in a plane ;-)
--

Alfred Molon
Old January 6th 08, 08:06 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
EAL

On Sat, 05 Jan 2008 13:13:23 -0800, nospam
wrote:

In article , EAL
wrote:

Why would anyone buy a widescreen except to watch widescreen movies?
Wide screen means less height, a slit-eyed narrow display. These
displays are cramped vertically. Don't you ever shoot portraits?

i often shoot portraits, and with a widescreen display, there's plenty
of room for tool palettes or even two images side by side for
comparison purposes. the extra space does not go to waste. plus, one
can always rotate the display into portrait mode.

Wide screens aren't much wider than the normal variety of screen, but
they are a lot skinnier, giving less height.

Case in point, on Lenovo laptops with 14" displays, the wide screen
models give 1440 pixels, compared to 1400 for the normal SXGA+
screens. That's less than 3% more width. But the wide variant has 900
vertical pixels against 1050 for the normal. That's 150 less pixels in
height. The normal screen provides almost 17% more vertical pixels.

Of course you can do side-by-side work with any screen that has good
resolution, but we do many different kinds of tasks on our machines,
and the regular screen for me is more practical in general.

Ed
Old January 7th 08, 06:14 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , EAL
wrote:

Wide screens aren't much wider than the normal variety of screen, but
they are a lot skinnier, giving less height.

some a
http://gizmodo.com/341413/alienware-...like-its-from-
another-planet

2880 x 900
Old January 7th 08, 10:57 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Chris Malcolm[_2_]

Jurgen Exner wrote:
EAL wrote:
Why would anyone buy a widescreen except to watch widescreen movies?

Very simple: to be able to see two documents side by side for
cross-reference without overlap. Very convenient!

Since documents are usually longer than they are tall, in a roughly
portrait-type format, then putting them side by side simply generates
a roughly landscape format image. In other words, to see two documents
side by side you only need the ordinary format of screen, just
provided it has enough resolution. Widescreen allows you to see three
documents side by side.

--
Chris Malcolm DoD #205
[

Old January 7th 08, 05:19 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
jdear64

On Jan 6, 6:32*am, Ron Hunter wrote:
Snaggy wrote:
[...]

I have a "history" with Apple and wouldn't hesitate to buy another
one. In fact, most Apple customers are repeat buyers. Not that there
is anything "wrong" with other brands.