Photo editing software recomendation

Old November 28th 07, 11:27 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
rulow

Default Photo editing software recomendation

Dear all,

What software do you recomend to me to edit my photos?
I have a canon digital camera, and I try the soft that cames with
canon cameras, but I want to evaluate others.

Thanks!

Rulow,
http://fotosyenlaces.googlepages.com/home2
Old November 28th 07, 11:46 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Bob Williams

rulow wrote:
Dear all,

What software do you recomend to me to edit my photos?
I have a canon digital camera, and I try the soft that cames with
canon cameras, but I want to evaluate others.

Thanks!

Rulow,
http://fotosyenlaces.googlepages.com/home2

I would recommend the latest version of Adobe PhotoShop Elements.
It is very powerful, and becomes more user friendly with each newer edition.
Bob Wiliams
Old November 29th 07, 01:17 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
ray

On Wed, 28 Nov 2007 15:27:12 -0800, rulow wrote:

Dear all,

What software do you recomend to me to edit my photos?
I have a canon digital camera, and I try the soft that cames with
canon cameras, but I want to evaluate others.

Thanks!

Rulow,
http://fotosyenlaces.googlepages.com/home2

I would suggest you start by evaluating several free photo editing
programs - there is a good chance that one or more of them may do what you
need without a large cash outlay.

I would suggest GIMP (GNU Image Manipulation Program) and to convert raw
files, ufraw - those are what I use.

Old November 29th 07, 01:31 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
John Navas[_2_]

On Wed, 28 Nov 2007 15:27:12 -0800 (PST), rulow
wrote in
:

What software do you recomend to me to edit my photos?
I have a canon digital camera, and I try the soft that cames with
canon cameras, but I want to evaluate others.

Photoshop Elements 6.

--
Best regards,
John Navas
Old November 29th 07, 01:56 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
H.S.[_2_]

ray wrote:
On Wed, 28 Nov 2007 15:27:12 -0800, rulow wrote:

Dear all,

What software do you recomend to me to edit my photos?
I have a canon digital camera, and I try the soft that cames with
canon cameras, but I want to evaluate others.

Thanks!

Rulow,
http://fotosyenlaces.googlepages.com/home2

I would suggest you start by evaluating several free photo editing
programs - there is a good chance that one or more of them may do what you
need without a large cash outlay.

I would suggest GIMP (GNU Image Manipulation Program) and to convert raw
files, ufraw - those are what I use.

I second that suggestion.

-HS
Old November 29th 07, 07:32 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Floyd L. Davidson

"H.S." wrote:
ray wrote:
On Wed, 28 Nov 2007 15:27:12 -0800, rulow wrote:
What software do you recomend to me to edit my photos?

I would suggest you start by evaluating several free photo editing
programs - there is a good chance that one or more of them may do what you
need without a large cash outlay.

I would suggest GIMP (GNU Image Manipulation Program) and to convert raw
files, ufraw - those are what I use.

I second that suggestion.

The GIMP and UFRAW are an excellent choice. Just be
sure to acquire the recently released 2.4 version of
GIMP rather than the older 2.2 version.

http://gimp.org
http://ufraw.sourceforge.net

Another program that might be very handy is /exiftool/,
which is a program that reads (and writes) EXIF data in
image files.

http://www.sno.phy.queensu.ca/~phil/exiftool/

Ukpeagvik (Barrow, Alaska)
Old November 29th 07, 08:40 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Francis

First of all you need image descriptions which tell you the details
after some years. Here IPTC metadata is the choice. Take Thumbsplus and
you have all in one.

Francis

Old November 29th 07, 02:58 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Don Stauffer in Minnesota

On Nov 28, 5:27 pm, rulow wrote:
Dear all,

What software do you recomend to me to edit my photos?
I have a canon digital camera, and I try the soft that cames with
canon cameras, but I want to evaluate others.

Thanks!

Rulow,http://fotosyenlaces.googlepages.com/home2

I used to be a big Paint Shop Pro fan. I currently use it. But I just
read in the paper this morning that Corel is closing their local
office, the digital imaging products office, which was responsible for
PSP (it is the old Jasc bunch) and laying off everyone. I think I
will switch over to Photoshop Elements now. I use Premiere Elements
for video, and really like it. Friends I know swear by Elements so
when I am ready for something new it will be PS Elements even if Corel
does introduce a new version of PSP.
Old November 29th 07, 04:51 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
David J Taylor[_4_]

Allen wrote:
Don Stauffer in Minnesota wrote:

[]
I used to be a big Paint Shop Pro fan. I currently use it. But I
just read in the paper this morning that Corel is closing their local
office, the digital imaging products office, which was responsible
for PSP (it is the old Jasc bunch) and laying off everyone. I think
I will switch over to Photoshop Elements now. I use Premiere Elements
for video, and really like it. Friends I know swear by Elements so
when I am ready for something new it will be PS Elements even if
Corel does introduce a new version of PSP.

Sorry to hear that. I've been using PSP since before digital
photography was an issue, going back to version 3, as I recall. I
consider the last release (11) as a backward step.
Allen

Sorry to hear that. Not a good time of year for such news. I have the V3
disks and manual. Perhaps even earlier.

There is a 12 as well, but time to move on, as you say.

Cheers,
David

Old November 29th 07, 08:19 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Dave Cohen

Floyd L. Davidson wrote:
"H.S." wrote:
ray wrote:
On Wed, 28 Nov 2007 15:27:12 -0800, rulow wrote:
What software do you recomend to me to edit my photos?

I would suggest you start by evaluating several free photo editing
programs - there is a good chance that one or more of them may do what you
need without a large cash outlay.

I would suggest GIMP (GNU Image Manipulation Program) and to convert raw
files, ufraw - those are what I use.

I second that suggestion.

The GIMP and UFRAW are an excellent choice. Just be
sure to acquire the recently released 2.4 version of
GIMP rather than the older 2.2 version.

http://gimp.org
http://ufraw.sourceforge.net

Another program that might be very handy is /exiftool/,
which is a program that reads (and writes) EXIF data in
image files.

http://www.sno.phy.queensu.ca/~phil/exiftool/

You can try Gimp. I think it's very non-intuitive. 2.4 is a little
better for cropping, the previous version couldn't be more archaic for a
very simple function. It's not enough for a program to be capable (Gimp
is), it has to be comfortable to use.
You can pick up PSP 9 for $9.95 + $3.95 postage via Amazon.com. It's an
excellent program. I've never used Elements, my understanding is it's
very good plus you'll find lot's of books on both that and PS in your
local library. I'm a great believer in sitting down with a good manual
rather than pecking around trying to figure out how things work. Much of
the stuff for PS should be applicable to Elements. Actually with a
little adjustment same is true for PSP, it's technique you're learning
and all the higher level programs provide similar functions.
Dave Cohen