Pentax K10D Lens advice

Old October 30th 07, 05:39 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Radu

Default Pentax K10D Lens advice

Hi. I have a PentaxK10D camera and two lens:
- the kit lens, SMC-DA 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6
- and one I bought from B&H as the same time as the camera, for about
200$: Normal-Telephoto SMCP-DA 50-200mm f/4-5.6 ED

I would like to spoil myself for Christmas with a nice lens with macro
capability - with the kit lens I can't go closer than probably 75cm,
so when I wanted to take a close-up of a bee in a flower, I had to
stay far away and then crop like crazy in photoshop...

I have a limited budget - about 500$. Do you have any suggestions ?

At B&H they have
- Sigma Zoom Super Wide Angle 18-50mm f/2.8 EX DC Macro Autofocus Lens
- Sigma Zoom Super Wide Angle AF 17-70mm f/2.8-4.5 DC Macro Autofocus
Lens

Thank you.
Alex

Old October 30th 07, 06:48 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Steve B[_3_]

"Radu" wrote in message
ps.com...
Hi. I have a PentaxK10D camera and two lens:
- the kit lens, SMC-DA 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6
- and one I bought from B&H as the same time as the camera, for about
200$: Normal-Telephoto SMCP-DA 50-200mm f/4-5.6 ED

I would like to spoil myself for Christmas with a nice lens with macro
capability - with the kit lens I can't go closer than probably 75cm,
so when I wanted to take a close-up of a bee in a flower, I had to
stay far away and then crop like crazy in photoshop...

I have a limited budget - about 500$. Do you have any suggestions ?

At B&H they have
- Sigma Zoom Super Wide Angle 18-50mm f/2.8 EX DC Macro Autofocus Lens
- Sigma Zoom Super Wide Angle AF 17-70mm f/2.8-4.5 DC Macro Autofocus
Lens

Thank you.
Alex

I've got the Sigma 17-70 and it's handy for close up macro, but like most
general purpose zooms it's not a true macro. You have to get very close
with this lens to get the quoted 1:2.3 macro magnification. Good lens
though, as I say it's handy for occasional macro. I get much better macro
shots with an old manual focus 55mm f1.8 Pentax lens using auto extension
tubes, the tubes cost about £30 on eBay and I already had the lens from many
years ago but they're dirt cheap and excellent. Manual focus is no problem
with macro, but make sure the extension tubes are 'Auto' types with an
aperture lever otherwise you'll be trying to manual focus with a closed down
aperture (i.e. very dark, & can't see what you're doing!).

To do better than those, you're really looking at something like a Tamron 90
f2.8 macro lens, which will let you work a bit further away which makes
lighting easier and doesn't scare bees away so easily.
http://www.tamron.com/lenses/prod/90mm.asp

Old October 30th 07, 08:22 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
The Spider Formally Seated Next To Little Miss Muffet

"Radu" wrote in message
ps.com...
Hi. I have a PentaxK10D camera and two lens:
- the kit lens, SMC-DA 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6
- and one I bought from B&H as the same time as the camera, for about
200$: Normal-Telephoto SMCP-DA 50-200mm f/4-5.6 ED

I would like to spoil myself for Christmas with a nice lens with macro
capability - with the kit lens I can't go closer than probably 75cm,
so when I wanted to take a close-up of a bee in a flower, I had to
stay far away and then crop like crazy in photoshop...

I have a limited budget - about 500$. Do you have any suggestions ?

At B&H they have
- Sigma Zoom Super Wide Angle 18-50mm f/2.8 EX DC Macro Autofocus Lens
- Sigma Zoom Super Wide Angle AF 17-70mm f/2.8-4.5 DC Macro Autofocus
Lens

Thank you.
Alex

I too am looking for a Macro lens for my K10D. I am most likely going to go
with the Pentax 100mm Macro. I only buy Pentax brand lenses they are by far
better than any of the Tamron or Sigma. The lens isn't cheap, but it should
go quite nicely.

The Spider

--
Ignorance really is bliss, just look how happy President Bush is.

Old October 30th 07, 09:54 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Paul Mitchum

Radu wrote:

Hi. I have a PentaxK10D camera and two lens:
- the kit lens, SMC-DA 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6
- and one I bought from B&H as the same time as the camera, for about
200$: Normal-Telephoto SMCP-DA 50-200mm f/4-5.6 ED

I would like to spoil myself for Christmas with a nice lens with macro
capability - with the kit lens I can't go closer than probably 75cm,
so when I wanted to take a close-up of a bee in a flower, I had to
stay far away and then crop like crazy in photoshop...

I have a limited budget - about 500$. Do you have any suggestions ?

At B&H they have
- Sigma Zoom Super Wide Angle 18-50mm f/2.8 EX DC Macro Autofocus Lens
- Sigma Zoom Super Wide Angle AF 17-70mm f/2.8-4.5 DC Macro Autofocus
Lens

Find a used Tamron SP CF Macro 35-80/2.8-3.8 (model 01A). Then get the
matching 2x teleconverter (model 01F). These are Adaptall lenses, so
you'll need the P-K/A adaptor, or else suffer fully manual metering with
the P-K adaptor. Manual focus, but that's not a liability for close
focus (it's easier to just move the whole camera anyway).

This gives you 80mm/5.6, about 20cm close focus, with 1:1.2 macro
capability. For about $100. :-) Without the 2x TC, you're still doing
pretty well: 80mm/3.8, same close focus, but 1:2.2 macro. The lens is
super sharp, and a total bargain.

Spend the rest of your budget on flash equipment:
http://www.strobist.com/

And if you ever switch to another brand of camera body, you just get a
new adaptor and re-use the lens.

--
http://www.xoverboard.com/cartoons/2..._argument.html
Old October 31st 07, 06:18 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Le Patriote[_2_]

best advice, sell your pentax and stay away from them

Old October 31st 07, 09:21 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Pete D

"Le Patriote" wrote in message
best advice, sell your pentax and stay away from them

Not happy with your K10D?

Old October 31st 07, 09:25 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Pete D

"The Spider Formally Seated Next To Little Miss Muffet"
wrote in message ...
"Radu" wrote in message
ps.com...
[...]

I would argue that the Tamron 90mm is a better lens, built a little
stronger, sharper in several places and has a limit switch and is a known
excellent performer on the Pentax cameras..

Old October 31st 07, 02:21 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
J. F. Cornwall

Pete D wrote:
"Le Patriote" wrote in message

best advice, sell your pentax and stay away from them

Not happy with your K10D?

Probly the paycheck it gets from Canikon to post anti Pentax drivel :-)
Old October 31st 07, 03:21 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Radu

Thank you all for your input.

In the end I have decided on the Sigma 17-70 - I have found it at a
decent price. I really hope that I will be satisfied with it.

Thanks again for taking the time to answer !
Alex

PS. Regarding the advice to run away from Pentax. I'm quite happy with
my camera, I have bought a lot of toys for it (the battery grip, the
AF540FGZ flash, etc) and it takes great pictures (for my limited know-
how, experience, and talent). You should bring some arguments to the
table to be taken seriously, otherwise your post is just a waste of
electrons. Sorry.

Old November 1st 07, 03:38 AM posted to rec.photo.digital

"Pete D" wrote in message

"The Spider Formally Seated Next To Little Miss Muffet"
wrote in message
"Radu" wrote in message
ps.com...
[...]

I am not found of non Pentax brands, but I will take a look at the Tamron.
Thanks.

The Spider

--
Ignorance really is bliss, just look how happy President Bush is.