Digital print lab

Old July 5th 07, 07:02 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
[email protected]

Default Digital print lab

What online digital print vendor(s) do you use? I am building up a
library of jpgs and I need to get some of them printed.

John Culleton

Old July 5th 07, 07:11 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Pat

On Jul 5, 2:02 pm, "
wrote:
What online digital print vendor(s) do you use? I am building up a
library of jpgs and I need to get some of them printed.

John Culleton

I suppose the biggest factor in deciding is knowing what country you
are in. Continent might be enough, but country would be more helpful.

Plus, what are you trying to get out of the pictures and now many do
you have. Plus, what is your budget and timeframe.

May people find mpix very good, but depending where you are there
might be better or worse options.

Old July 5th 07, 08:38 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
James Silverton

Pat wrote on Thu, 05 Jul 2007 11:11:47 -0700:

P On Jul 5, 2:02 pm, "
P wrote:
?? What online digital print vendor(s) do you use? I am
?? building up a library of jpgs and I need to get some of
?? them printed.
??
?? John Culleton

P I suppose the biggest factor in deciding is knowing what
P country you are in. Continent might be enough, but country
P would be more helpful.

P Plus, what are you trying to get out of the pictures and now
P many do you have. Plus, what is your budget and timeframe.

I generally use Kodak for 4x6s. After uploading the edited jpgs,
I can usually pick them up next day at the local CVS drug store
about 4 miles away and I pay for them online at $0.20 each. They
do a reasonable job on 8x10s too tho' more expensive and the
turn around is slower, I think. It does depend where you live;
there is not such a convenient pickup for my daughter who lives
in Mill Valley outside San Francisco.

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

E-mail, with obvious alterations:
not.jim.silverton.at.verizon.not

Old July 5th 07, 10:07 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Ray Paseur[_3_]

In the USA, consider Costco.

Old July 6th 07, 03:08 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Michael Meissner

" writes:

What online digital print vendor(s) do you use? I am building up a
library of jpgs and I need to get some of them printed.

http://www.mpix.com has the best quality prints of all the places I've tried,
but they aren't the cheapest.

--
Michael Meissner
email:
Old July 6th 07, 02:00 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
[email protected]

On Jul 5, 2:11 pm, Pat wrote:
On Jul 5, 2:02 pm, "
wrote:

What online digital print vendor(s) do you use? I am building up a
library of jpgs and I need to get some of them printed.

JohnCulleton

I suppose the biggest factor in deciding is knowing what country you
are in. Continent might be enough, but country would be more helpful.

Sorry about that. Eldersburg (Near Baltimore) Maryland, USA. I am
looking for a service that will let me upload images and will mail me
the prints. Costco has been suggested but this requires a trip to a
Costco store which is not as convenient as going to the local Wal-Mart
etc.

Plus, what are you trying to get out of the pictures and now many do
you have. Plus, what is your budget and timeframe.

I have about 100 images at the moment of which I might want to print
about 50. I can afford to pay a typical price of about $0.24 per
print 4 x 6.

May people find mpix very good, but depending where you are there
might be better or worse options.

Thanks for your comments. I'll look into Mpix.

John Culleton

Old July 6th 07, 06:46 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
JC Dill

On Fri, 06 Jul 2007 06:00:44 -0700, "
wrote:

Sorry about that. Eldersburg (Near Baltimore) Maryland, USA. I am
looking for a service that will let me upload images and will mail me
the prints. Costco has been suggested but this requires a trip to a
Costco store which is not as convenient as going to the local Wal-Mart
etc.

Do you want quality, or convenience?

Costco puts out very high quality prints and is a very good value for
the price. Upload your prints from home www.costcophotocenter.com
and place your order online so it's just one trip to pick them up. If
you upload your order in the afternoon or evening it's usually ready
before noon the next day. You pay for your prints at the photo
counter so you don't have to stand in the main cash register lines.

You can download printer profiles for most of the Costco printers at
drycreekphoto.com - then apply the profile to your images before you
save the final jpeg for printing. Remember to select to NOT have
automatic color adjustment done at Costco. This way your prints will
come out exactly as they appear on your computer (this assumes you
have profiled your computer and have a color management workflow).

I have about 100 images at the moment of which I might want to print
about 50. I can afford to pay a typical price of about $0.24 per
print 4 x 6.

Costco prices (I always choose lustre prints):

1 4x6 print(s) lustre finish 0.17
1 5x7 print(s) lustre finish 0.39
1 8x10 print(s) lustre finish 1.49
1 8x12 print(s) lustre finish 1.49
1 5x7 wallet set(s) lustre finish 0.39
1 11x14 enlargement(s) lustre finish 2.99
1 12x18 enlargement(s) lustre finish 2.99

You really can't get a better deal. I also like that their prices are
the same for 8x10 and 8x12. I usually order an 8x12 or 12x18 for
display and add a 4x6 of the same image for just $0.17 more. When I
have a batch of 4x6s then I play with them to figure out how I want to
arrange them for a portfolio book - this is one of those things that I
have found is easier to do and to decide with paper copies of the
prints that I can move around on a large flat work surface than with
digital images on the computer.

jc

Old July 6th 07, 11:12 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
MyVeryOwnSelf

What online digital print vendor(s) do you use? I am building up a
library of jpgs and I need to get some of them printed.

I've had good results from http://www.shutterfly.com/. Photos arrived
on-time and looking good.
Old July 8th 07, 03:21 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Kadin2048[_2_]

In article ,
Marvin wrote:

wrote:
What online digital print vendor(s) do you use? I am building up a
library of jpgs and I need to get some of them printed.

John Culleton

I used Clark Color Labs (clarkcolor.com) when I still used
film. I recently used them again for a poster-size print,
which they printed very well, at a lower price than most
processors.

Similarly, I used to do a fair bit of business with Adorama ProLab in
NYC, back when I was shooting a lot of film, and thought they were great.

They've gotten out of the film business now, but they do digital
mail-order stuff, and I've used them once and can't complain. (Though, I
wasn't asking them to do anything difficult -- more just not to screw
anything up.)

I'll n-th the suggestion of going to Costco, or Sam's Club (you can get
profiles for some of their Frontier units also), if you have one around.
Try to get to know some of the operators if you can; let them know that
you know what you're doing and want them to print without corrections,
etc.

I'd like to be able to recommend Adorama or one of the similar places
I've used over the years, but honestly I just don't think there's much
to justify their markup over Costco, if you're just looking for lightjet
prints.

-Kadin.