Are You an In-Camera or Post-Camera Photographer?

Old July 3rd 07, 04:37 PM posted to alt.photography,aus.photo,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Allen

Default Are You an In-Camera or Post-Camera Photographer?

UC wrote:
On Jun 1, 9:08 am, "Wayne J. Cosshall" wrote:
Hi All,

My latest post on the HP professional photography blog is up on this topic:http://h20325.www2.hp.com/blogs/grap...5/25/3484.html

Cheers,

Wayne

--
Wayne J. Cosshall
Publisher, The Digital ImageMaker,http://www.dimagemaker.com/

I use film; so should you, you moron.

What part of rec.photo.DIGITAL? Now tell us who's the moron.
Old July 3rd 07, 04:40 PM posted to alt.photography,aus.photo,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
UC

On Jul 3, 11:37 am, Allen wrote:
UC wrote:
On Jun 1, 9:08 am, "Wayne J. Cosshall" wrote:
Hi All,

My latest post on the HP professional photography blog is up on this topic:http://h20325.www2.hp.com/blogs/grap...5/25/3484.html

Cheers,

Wayne

--
Wayne J. Cosshall
Publisher, The Digital ImageMaker,http://www.dimagemaker.com/
Publisher, Experimental Digital Photographyhttp://www.experimentaldigitalphotography.com
Personal art sitehttp://www.cosshall.com/

I use film; so should you, you moron.

What part of rec.photo.DIGITAL? Now tell us who's the moron.

This is in alt.photography, ASSHOLE!

Old July 3rd 07, 05:30 PM posted to alt.photography,aus.photo,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
John McWilliams

Ray Macey wrote:
On Jun 29, 2:27 pm, "Wayne J. Cosshall" wrote:
Lightroom's pretty good. I like it too. How about Export to create a JPEG?

Export puts it through the exposure process again, meaning a needless
occurrence of JPEG compression. What I'm looking for, is say that I
take an image in JPEG format. It's completely unprocessed. When I
use Lightroom to open it in an image editor for processing outside of
Lightroom itself, it creates it as a TIFF(or photoshop file) first,
meaning that I do my post processing, save the final result as a JPEG
and have a redundant TIFF file hanging around. I'd like it if it
would create a bit for bit identical copy of the JPEG straight from my
camera, and use that as the launching point for my post processing, so
that there is no redundant in between file. Of course, this wouldn't
work if you'd done any post processing to the jpeg in Lightroom
itself, but in the event you haven't, it would be nice to avoid the
middle step

In any case, that's a minor annoyance in an otherwise fantastic piece
of software.

Ray-

I think I just did it. Here are the things I recall: Hit Cmd-E, and
choose to edit a copy without LR adjustments. [maybe the others will
work, too.] In the next dialogue, set it to be 8 bits. Do your editing,
then flatten the image, and Save. It will return the edited image next
to the one you started with. No TIFF or PSD hanging around.

--
john mcwilliams
Old July 3rd 07, 05:31 PM posted to aus.photo,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
John McWilliams

UC wrote:
On Jul 3, 11:37 am, Allen wrote:
UC wrote:
On Jun 1, 9:08 am, "Wayne J. Cosshall" wrote:
Hi All,
My latest post on the HP professional photography blog is up on this topic:http://h20325.www2.hp.com/blogs/grap...5/25/3484.html
Cheers,
Wayne
--
Wayne J. Cosshall
Publisher, The Digital ImageMaker,http://www.dimagemaker.com/
Publisher, Experimental Digital Photographyhttp://www.experimentaldigitalphotography.com
Personal art sitehttp://www.cosshall.com/
I use film; so should you, you moron.

What part of rec.photo.DIGITAL? Now tell us who's the moron.

This is in alt.photography, ASSHOLE!

Now, now children, learn to read headers.

fu set
Old July 3rd 07, 07:47 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Kadin2048[_2_]

Ray Macey wrote:
[...]

From what I understand, you're looking for a piece of software that will
edit the actual JPEG original, *without decompressing it* to an
intermediate format first, even internally.

I'm not sure if you're going to find much that does this. Most software
tools are designed to work on an uncompressed bitmap/raster; while there
are tools that perform some gross edits to compressed JPEGs (rotations,
cropping), you're not going to be doing much fine tweaking.

A little Googling* turned up "Better JPEG," which claims to do lossless
JPEG rotations/flips, crops, canvas resizing, and red-eye removal.
Website he http://www.betterjpeg.com/
It also claims to be able to do 'Copy/Paste to and from an external
editor for local retouching without full recompression (lossless)' but
I'm not sure exactly how that works. (Maybe it does some sort of diff on
the start and end image and only changes/recompresses the changed areas.)

But whole-image adjustments like levels, white balance, HSV? I don't
think you'll be able to do those without recompression.

-Kadin
[*] Google term was "lossless jpeg editing"
Old July 3rd 07, 10:15 PM posted to alt.photography,aus.photo,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Wayne J. Cosshall

The only idiot here is you if you believe that only film constitutes
photography. Go away and learn something about what you do, if you
actually do any photography. Photography is photography, whatever the
capture device is.

Cheers,

Wayne

Wayne J. Cosshall

Old July 4th 07, 12:13 AM posted to alt.photography,aus.photo,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Pete D[_2_]

"UC" wrote in message
oups.com...
On Jul 3, 11:37 am, Allen wrote:
UC wrote:
On Jun 1, 9:08 am, "Wayne J. Cosshall" wrote:
Hi All,

My latest post on the HP professional photography blog is up on this
topic:http://h20325.www2.hp.com/blogs/grap...5/25/3484.html

Cheers,

Wayne

--
Wayne J. Cosshall
Publisher, The Digital ImageMaker,http://www.dimagemaker.com/
Publisher, Experimental Digital
Photographyhttp://www.experimentaldigitalphotography.com
Personal art sitehttp://www.cosshall.com/

I use film; so should you, you moron.

What part of rec.photo.DIGITAL? Now tell us who's the moron.

This is in alt.photography, ASSHOLE!

And yet you managed to post to:
alt.photography,aus.photo,rec.photo.digital,rec.ph oto.digital.slr-systems

You are looking a bit silly now I think perhaps if you are not an "ASSHOLE"
you will apologise?

Over to you red leader!!

Cheers.

Pete

Old July 4th 07, 01:17 AM posted to alt.photography,aus.photo,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Ray Macey

On Jul 4, 2:30 am, John McWilliams wrote:

I think I just did it. Here are the things I recall: Hit Cmd-E, and
choose to edit a copy without LR adjustments. [maybe the others will
work, too.] In the next dialogue, set it to be 8 bits. Do your editing,
then flatten the image, and Save. It will return the edited image next
to the one you started with. No TIFF or PSD hanging around.

Wow, that's a somewhat counter intuitive way of doing it, given that
it still states TIFF or PSD on the window that shows, but it works
like a charm. Thanks!

Ray

Old September 29th 07, 03:38 PM posted to alt.photography,aus.photo,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
smb

On Fri, 01 Jun 2007 23:08:44 +1000, "Wayne J. Cosshall"
wrote:

Hi All,

My latest post on the HP professional photography blog is up on this topic:
http://h20325.www2.hp.com/blogs/grap...5/25/3484.html

Cheers,

Wayne

It's really no different from the older question of making pictures in
a film camera or creating them in the darkroom, isn't it?