Vista on the Mac (was: Computer)

Old March 15th 07, 11:21 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
C J Campbell

Default Vista on the Mac (was: Computer)

On 2007-03-15 15:36:56 -0700, "J. Clarke" said:

Scott Schuckert wrote:
In article , nsag
wrote:

Why you
would choose Vista Business, loaded with networking and security
features that are useless as a virutalized OS, is beyond me.

Because Microsoft REQUIRES that you do so.

????? Somebody from Microsoft forced you at gunpoint? I'm sorry, but
shouting "requires" without explaining the nature of the compulsion just
makes you look hysterical. Are you talking about the licensing
limitation? If so, did you _try_ to activate from the virtual session?

As for the rest of your post... Well, speaking as a systems engineer
trained and certified on both platforms - you're about 80% dead wrong.
The other 20% is distortion that make the rest plausible to the
uninformed.

If he's 80 percent dead wrong please demonstrate his errors. If you
have Microsoft and Apple "certifications" you really shouldn't brag
about it.

--

Shuckert is, in fact, almost 100% dead wrong.

He starts off by presuming to know what I know and do not know, and the
reasons that I do things. A bit presumptious, that, and he was wrong.

He then asserts that the fewer driver conflicts are because of Apple's
monopoly control and "the static/moribund nature of development for the
Apple platform." Demonstrably wrong. Most new products have OS X
drivers. New drivers are being developed all the time. It is neither
static nor moribund, nor does Apple maintain a monopoly control. There
are even fewer drivers available for Vista, yet they have many more
conflicts. It is especially silly to assert that Apple has a monopoly
control compared to Microsoft. So again, he was wrong. He asserts lack
of progress on the Apple platform. If I recall correctly, Apple has
released several new operating systems in the time it took Microsoft to
release Vista, and Apple is about to release a new one. Apple's
computers are generally regarded as state of the art. So he is wrong
there, too.

He makes the extremely ridiculous assertion that the competitive Wintel
market is driven by gamers. Dead wrong.

He asserts that virus writers simply do not attack Apple because of
small market share. Yet virus writers manage to find the time to attack
even smaller systems. So he is batting zero here. He asserts that Apple
released 40 fixes to vulnerabilities in the Mactel OS. Bet he has a
tough time coming up with that list. Still batting zero.

He asserts that Steve Jobs knows things that Mac users choose to
ignore. Riiiiiiight. He would know this how? He sure hasn't paid any
visits to any Apple forums lately.

He asserts that Parallels slows down both the Mactel and Windows OS. I
did not dispute that, but I said it was not significant. He thinks it
is, so call it a tie. Still not quite right.

He suspects that virtualization of the OS is the reason the Epson
status monitor doesn't work. He might be right, but this guy hasn't got
a clue, let alone a suspicion.

So, tell me. What did he get right? Nothing? Well, there you have it.
Of course, you are about 100% wrong when you spout off about the Mac,
too. You are just gasping at any straw, hoping to find someone who will
support your ridiculous theories. You know nothing about it, yet you
continually pretend expertise. Is that honest?

--
Waddling Eagle
World Famous Flight Instructor

Old March 16th 07, 12:01 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
J. F. Cornwall

Rita Ä Berkowitz wrote:

Paul Allen wrote:

OpenOffice obsoletes Microsoft Office, and it's not controlled by a
monopoly. XPS is an open spec, but it has only recently become
available. Microsoft has said they have plans for non-Windows XPS
viewers, post Vista launch. The community will likely produce
something before Microsoft does. In the meantime, just avoid MS
Office.

Wrong! You won't find OpenOffice on a single federal government or
corporate desktop due to incompatibility issues. I'm sure there are
some struggling backwoods townships that will use it for interoffice
work only. Professionals only use Microsoft Office.

WRONG. You will find OpenOffice on *MY* (federal government) desktop
computer. Works just fine. And I am a professional, using both MS
Office and OpenOffice interchangeably.

Jim

Rita

Old March 16th 07, 05:09 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Paul Allen

On Thu, 15 Mar 2007 17:47:54 -0500
Rita Ä Berkowitz ritaberk2O04 @aol.com wrote:

Paul Allen wrote:

OpenOffice obsoletes Microsoft Office, and it's not controlled by a
monopoly. XPS is an open spec, but it has only recently become
available. Microsoft has said they have plans for non-Windows XPS
viewers, post Vista launch. The community will likely produce
something before Microsoft does. In the meantime, just avoid MS
Office.

Wrong!

Huh? With the exception of my opinion on how soon the community will
produce an XPS reader, everything I said is factually correct.

You won't find OpenOffice on a single federal government or
corporate desktop

Absolute statements like this one are almost always mistaken.

due to incompatibility issues.

Incompatibility with what? The monopoly platform? That's the way the
monopoly likes it. You don't have compatibility issues if you use
an open standard.

I'm sure there are
some struggling backwoods townships that will use it for interoffice
work only. Professionals only use Microsoft Office.

Another absolute statement that can be refuted by a single counter-
example. I'm a professional and I mostly use Open Office for
collaborating with my Windows-using colleagues.

Paul Allen
Old March 16th 07, 08:14 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
ASAAR

On Thu, 15 Mar 2007 16:21:06 -0700, C J Campbell wrote:

Shuckert is, in fact, almost 100% dead wrong.

It's almost a 100% certainty that Scott Schuckert is not the
person that you're assuming to be 100% dead wrong.

Old March 16th 07, 03:15 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
C J Campbell

On 2007-03-16 01:14:54 -0700, ASAAR said:

On Thu, 15 Mar 2007 16:21:06 -0700, C J Campbell wrote:

Shuckert is, in fact, almost 100% dead wrong.

It's almost a 100% certainty that Scott Schuckert is not the
person that you're assuming to be 100% dead wrong.

I think you are 100% correct!

Sorry, Scott.

Old March 17th 07, 01:52 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
J. F. Cornwall

Rita Ä Berkowitz wrote:

J. F. Cornwall wrote:

Wrong! You won't find OpenOffice on a single federal government or
corporate desktop due to incompatibility issues. I'm sure there are
some struggling backwoods townships that will use it for interoffice
work only. Professionals only use Microsoft Office.

WRONG. You will find OpenOffice on *MY* (federal government) desktop
computer. Works just fine. And I am a professional, using both MS
Office and OpenOffice interchangeably.

Why use both, other than to say that you have the ability to waste disk
space with Open Office? It would seem pointless to use anything other
than MS Office when that is the standard.

Because I wanted to try out OpenOffice and see how it did, and find out
if it would interact properly with the Office-derived files my
colleagues produce, and give me a basis for determining if I could at
some point ditch Office completely.

Office may be a de facto standard, and it may even be the only suite of
software that the Dept of Interior will officially support, but that
doesn't mean alternatives cannot be used by someone willing and able to
do without their "support".

So far I haven't found any issues with OpenOffice except a couple of
small things in handling of complex Powerpoint slides. Unfortunately,
those are things that prevent me from completely shifting, so I keep
both. As for disk space, well, I have plenty. And I am a big advocate
of letting people choose the tools they want/need/prefer for getting the
job done. And NOT a big advocate of locking people into setups where
they have no choices.

Jim

Rita

Old March 17th 07, 03:19 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Paul Allen

On Fri, 16 Mar 2007 18:24:46 -0500

Paul Allen wrote:

Another absolute statement that can be refuted by a single counter-
example. I'm a professional and I mostly use Open Office for
collaborating with my Windows-using colleagues.

Did you ever think that you might be making their lives miserable
when they have to decipher your documents?

You're seriously behind the times. If I author a document and save it
in Word format, my team-mates cannot distinguish it from one created
with Microsoft Word. The only issue we've noticed is that OpenOffice
can't show comments inserted by Word users. It's likely that there
are other issues, but that's the only one we've seen.

Paul Allen

Old March 17th 07, 03:34 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
J.F. Cornwall

Default Vista on the Mac

Rita Ä Berkowitz wrote:
J. F. Cornwall wrote:

Why use both, other than to say that you have the ability to waste
disk space with Open Office? It would seem pointless to use
anything other than MS Office when that is the standard.

Because I wanted to try out OpenOffice and see how it did, and find
out if it would interact properly with the Office-derived files my
colleagues produce, and give me a basis for determining if I could at
some point ditch Office completely.

Which it will never do.

Office may be a de facto standard, and it may even be the only suite
of software that the Dept of Interior will officially support, but
that doesn't mean alternatives cannot be used by someone willing and
able to do without their "support".

It'll never happen in an agency wide basis. Like I said, you'll get people
that have just enough network privileges that allow them to install it just
to say that the can and did have "tinker rights" to brag about.

So far I haven't found any issues with OpenOffice except a couple of
small things in handling of complex Powerpoint slides. Unfortunately,
those are things that prevent me from completely shifting, so I keep
both. As for disk space, well, I have plenty. And I am a big
advocate of letting people choose the tools they want/need/prefer for
getting the job done. And NOT a big advocate of locking people into
setups where they have no choices.

LOL! Don't let a little thing like incompatibility get in your way.
Powerpoint is the main staple of every presentation and board meeting.
OpenOffice might be able to run neck-to-neck with Notepad, but it'll never
be considered an option to replace Notepad. It'll never stand a chance
against Word.

Umm, right. Whatever you want to think, you go right ahead. Me, I'll
just keep on doing things the way I have been. Have a life.

Jim

Rita

Old March 17th 07, 04:03 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Paul J Gans

Rita ? Berkowitz ritaberk2O04 @aol.com wrote:

Paul Allen wrote:

Another absolute statement that can be refuted by a single counter-
example. I'm a professional and I mostly use Open Office for
collaborating with my Windows-using colleagues.

Did you ever think that you might be making their lives miserable
when they have to decipher your documents?

You're seriously behind the times. If I author a document and save it
in Word format, my team-mates cannot distinguish it from one created
with Microsoft Word. The only issue we've noticed is that OpenOffice
can't show comments inserted by Word users. It's likely that there
are other issues, but that's the only one we've seen.

Have you checked the difference in file sizes between an
OO document saved in native format and the same document
saved in the .doc format beloved by Microsoft?

--
--- Paul J. Gans
Old March 17th 07, 04:30 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Shawn Hirn

In article ,

J. F. Cornwall wrote:

[...]

I agree that PowerPoint slides are a staple at business meetings. I have
seen countless PowerPoint presentations over the years and 99% of them
use just basic graphics and text that easily transfer into any
presentation package, no problem. I decide my presentations in Apple's
Keynote software and anyone who wants them can have them simply by
asking me to save a presentation in PowerPoint format. No big deal.