Your opinion of Canon 400D

Old November 17th 06, 06:16 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
abbasam via PhotoKB.com

Default Your opinion of Canon 400D

I am planning to buy a Canon 400D, recently launched by Canon. I would like
your opinion on the camera from your own experience or what you might have
heard from others.

Also please compare this camera with other likely competitors. Both pros and
cons.

Many Thanks,
Abbas

Old November 17th 06, 06:42 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
MarkČ

abbasam via PhotoKB.com wrote:
I am planning to buy a Canon 400D, recently launched by Canon. I
would like your opinion on the camera from your own experience or
what you might have heard from others.

Also please compare this camera with other likely competitors. Both
pros and cons.

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canoneos400d/

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/nikond80/

Read...learn...think...choose.

-MarkČ

www.pbase.com/markuson

Old November 17th 06, 06:46 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
MarkČ

MarkČ wrote:
abbasam via PhotoKB.com wrote:
I am planning to buy a Canon 400D, recently launched by Canon. I
would like your opinion on the camera from your own experience or
what you might have heard from others.

Also please compare this camera with other likely competitors. Both
pros and cons.

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canoneos400d/

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/nikond80/

Read...learn...think...choose.

-MarkČ

NOTE:
The true competition for the Nikon D80 is the Canon 30D...not the 400D.
But right now, the closest Nikon is the 6MP D50, price-wise.

Here's the review for the D50:
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/nikond50/

-MarkČ

www.pbase.com/markuson

Old November 17th 06, 01:08 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Celcius

"abbasam via PhotoKB.com" u24240@uwe wrote in message
I am planning to buy a Canon 400D, recently launched by Canon. I would like
your opinion on the camera from your own experience or what you might have
heard from others.

Also please compare this camera with other likely competitors. Both pros
and
cons.

Many Thanks,
Abbas

Hi Abbas!
Whatever your decision, think that with such cameras, you change lenses.
These may cost a lot of money and can only be used with same brand camera.
You have a number of choices: Canon, Nikon, Pentax, etc. As far as Canon
goes, the lens that comes with it (Xt, XTi, 30D, whatever) is not very good.
Buy the body and lens separately. I'm not familiar with Nikon, but I think
the kit lens is a better one than Canon's. The 400 is cheaper than the 30D
as well as the Nikon D80. However, from what I can conclude, all these are
very good cameras. You might also want to go to a shop and see them for
yourself and handle them. They're not the same size and many people prefer
handling a particular model.
You might also want to see the Olympus Evolt E-500:
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/olympuse500/
It has a very good review, comes with 2 lenses and is not very expensive. It
may not be in the same class than the above-mentioned cameras (to many
readers of this newsgroup), but it takes great photos. My son-in-law bought
one and is very happy with it.
Take care,
Marcel
PS By the way, I have a Canon Rebel XT, 2 lenses bought separately (one of
which costs just about as much as the body), a Canon flash, and I'm very
happy with it. I'm also locked with Canon ;-)))))

Old November 17th 06, 01:49 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
[email protected]

MarkČ (lowest even number here) wrote:

NOTE:
The true competition for the Nikon D80 is the Canon 30D...not the 400D.

They don't exaclty line-up model wise. Both Canon and Nikon have
settled on a strategy of playing inbetween eachother's model numbers to
avoid true apples-to-apples comparisons.

FWIW:
D50 Nikon
400D Canon
D80 Nikon
30D Canon
D200 Nikon
5D Canon

After that the analogy breaks down a bit, since Canon is the only
company offering FF DSLRs.

Sensor wise the D80 is very close to the D200 so to many Nikonians its
probably 'close enough'.

I shoot a 350D and don't find any need to upgrade anytime soon, however
if I was buying new I'd probably pick a 39D becase of Canon's lense
lineup; for price/performance the D80 would be my choice though based
just on the body.

Old November 17th 06, 03:15 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Bill KB3GUN

I am planning to buy a Canon 400D, recently launched by Canon. I would like
your opinion on the camera from your own experience or what you might have
heard from others.

Also please compare this camera with other likely competitors. Both pros
and
cons.

Many Thanks,
Abbas

======================================
I have the 350D and love it so I'm sure the 400D is a fine camera. The kit
lens is fine for the price (under $100) and if you're moving up from a P&S,
you'll be fine with it. It's a great starter lens that I still use to this
day (and I have a nice selection of L glass to use too). Once you get a
feeling for the camera and your type of shooting (landscape, people,
wildlife, etc.) , you will then be able to see what type of lens you want to
invest in. The lenses are the investment as you'll be able to upgrade bodies
(as long as you stay with Canon) and you'll already have lenses. Other than
the kit lens, I'd stay away from APS-C (digital only lenses (Canon EF-S
Series) as they won't work on full frame sensor cameras you may upgrade to a
few years down the road.

Have fun and get out and shoot, no matter what camera you decide on.
-Smitty

Old November 19th 06, 07:02 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
just bob

I am planning to buy a Canon 400D, recently launched by Canon. I would like
your opinion on the camera from your own experience or what you might have
heard from others.

Also please compare this camera with other likely competitors. Both pros
and
cons.

I bought one just to play with and I loved how they used the LCD to show
current shot settings and more. Very nice. I expect all the new Canon's will
have this, except the 1-series probably, and unfortunately. I next tried a
5D and wish that feature was on that camera. I bet the 5D replacement in
February (rumored) will have this, too.

Old November 19th 06, 07:16 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
MarkČ

I am planning to buy a Canon 400D, recently launched by Canon. I
would like your opinion on the camera from your own experience or
what you might have heard from others.

Also please compare this camera with other likely competitors. Both
pros and
cons.

I bought one just to play with and I loved how they used the LCD to
show current shot settings and more. Very nice. I expect all the new
Canon's will have this, except the 1-series probably, and
unfortunately. I next tried a 5D and wish that feature was on that
camera. I bet the 5D replacement in February (rumored) will have
this, too.

Good gravy, I hope not!
-What a waste of battery power that would be, among other problems.

I would never wish to require an overly-bright screen, just to see basic
settings which should ALWAYS be visible (as they are with the second
screen). The combining of the two is a cost/space saving aspect, and
nothing more. I can't imagine having to blind myself on a long-exposure
dark-shoot by having to adjust settings staring at a bright screen while in
the dark. The gentle backlight on all other Canon DSLRs is just right.

www.pbase.com/markuson

Old November 19th 06, 10:57 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Bill

"just bob" kilbyfan@aoldotcom wrote in message

I bought one just to play with and I loved how they used the LCD to
show current shot settings and more. Very nice. I expect all the new
Canon's will have this, except the 1-series probably, and
unfortunately. I next tried a 5D and wish that feature was on that
camera. I bet the 5D replacement in February (rumored) will have
this, too.

The rear display is being used because there is no other place to show
the settings. Cameras that are large enough to have a second LCD for
settings display will continue to keep them. If not, I won't be buying
one.

The only reason the 400D/XTi has the settings on the display is
because they removed the second display in order to make room for the
larger screen. The Nikon D40 is the same because there is no room for
a top display.

Old November 19th 06, 11:02 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Pete D

"Bill" wrote in message
.. .
"just bob" kilbyfan@aoldotcom wrote in message

I bought one just to play with and I loved how they used the LCD to show
current shot settings and more. Very nice. I expect all the new Canon's
will have this, except the 1-series probably, and unfortunately. I next
tried a 5D and wish that feature was on that camera. I bet the 5D
replacement in February (rumored) will have this, too.

The rear display is being used because there is no other place to show the
settings. Cameras that are large enough to have a second LCD for settings
display will continue to keep them. If not, I won't be buying one.

The only reason the 400D/XTi has the settings on the display is because
they removed the second display in order to make room for the larger
screen. The Nikon D40 is the same because there is no room for a top
display.

I think they just did it to save money, every ever so small Pentax D-SLR has
managed to get one put on it, don't an exceuse not to.

Canon 400D [email protected] Digital SLR Cameras 7 November 12th 06 08:53 PM
Canon 400d RAW conversions Bill Hilton Digital Photography 5 November 6th 06 03:34 PM
which lens to get for Canon 400D? Stimp Digital Photography 15 October 14th 06 06:02 AM
Canon 400D Jack Digital SLR Cameras 54 August 29th 06 09:38 PM
Canon 400D - DSLR sharkbait999 Digital Photography 25 August 26th 06 06:17 AM