how you guys scan 120 format?

Old July 29th 06, 12:46 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.medium-format
Bandicoot

Default how you guys scan 120 format?

"Steven Woody" wrote in message
oups.com...
CoolScan 8000ED or 9000ED is so expensive, and flatbed is not my
prefer though some flatbeds might be considered as good on 120 but are
more than likely not so good on 35mm which is the format i also need.

i dont't know where to go .....

Minolta DiMage Scan-Multi Pro. This does me for 35mm up to most of my 120.
I have an ancient flatbed that I use for stuff for the web, and that does up
to 4x5, but not 6x12 or anything bigger than 4x5 - all that I send out to be
drum-scanned. I get exhibition prints drum-scanned quite often anyway,
since I'm a better photographer than I am a scanner operator, and I have a
good relationship with the scanning bureau.

Wondering about a better flat-bed one day that will do my 5x7, 6x17, and
10x8 (a recent addition), if not for the best work, but for now I have more
pressing calls on my funds.

Peter

Old July 29th 06, 12:40 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.medium-format
Steven Woody

Rob Novak wrote:
On 27 Jul 2006 19:32:59 -0700, "Steven Woody"
wrote:

CoolScan 8000ED or 9000ED is so expensive, and flatbed is not my
prefer though some flatbeds might be considered as good on 120 but are
more than likely not so good on 35mm which is the format i also need.

Epson V700. One of the few flatbed scanners that I've used that even
produces acceptable 35mm scans.

Here's a scan from a 6x7 Fuji Provia frame at 1600dpi, resized down to
1024x832, about 1/16 the size of the original 14.9Mpx scan. Looking
at the original scan at 100% enlargement, you can read the lettering
on the bow of the ship in the far background. 3200dpi's very clean,
and produces excellent large prints from a 56+Mpx scan.

Dear Rob,

by '3200dip's very clean', did you mean that more resolution more
clean? even though it will be downsized to same smaller size. i
interested the question because one of the big problem found in the
files those labs scaned for me is that they are not so clean.

-
woody

http://www.flickr.com/photo_zoom.gne...1248298&size=o

The included EpsonScan software is good, though the bundled Lasersoft
Silverfast SE software is better.

Film flatness is good, the holders have three height adjustments for
"fine focusing", and the holders grip the film edges nice and tightly.
The light source for film scanning is a separate cold-cathode tube
that travels the length of the lid opposite the optical pickup.
--
Rob on the Web - Trouble In Paradise
http://rob.rnovak.net

Old July 29th 06, 01:30 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.medium-format
Greg \_\

wrote:

CoolScan 8000ED or 9000ED is so expensive, and flatbed is not my
prefer though some flatbeds might be considered as good on 120 but are
more than likely not so good on 35mm which is the format i also need.

Epson V700. One of the few flatbed scanners that I've used that even
produces acceptable 35mm scans.

Here's a scan from a 6x7 Fuji Provia frame at 1600dpi, resized down to
1024x832, about 1/16 the size of the original 14.9Mpx scan. Looking
at the original scan at 100% enlargement, you can read the lettering
on the bow of the ship in the far background. 3200dpi's very clean,
and produces excellent large prints from a 56+Mpx scan.

http://www.flickr.com/photo_zoom.gne...1248298&size=o

That appears to be done in Baltimore.
--
Reality-Is finding that perfect picture
and never looking back.

www.gregblankphoto.com
Old July 29th 06, 02:13 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.medium-format
??Lonely Boy??

I am using an EPSON 4990 flatbed scanner, for both my 135 & 120 film. You
can come to my web to see those photos.

--

---
Lonely Boy

Old July 29th 06, 04:23 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.medium-format
Steven Woody

??Lonely Boy?? wrote:
I am using an EPSON 4990 flatbed scanner, for both my 135 & 120 film. You
can come to my web to see those photos.

thanks. you pics are good. but since i don't know how much photoshop
works you've put on them, it still not so clear to see if the scanner
good to me.

-
woody

--

---
Lonely Boy

Old July 29th 06, 05:49 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.medium-format
Raphael Bustin

On 29 Jul 2006 08:23:50 -0700, "Steven Woody"
wrote:

??Lonely Boy?? wrote:
I am using an EPSON 4990 flatbed scanner, for both my 135 & 120 film. You
can come to my web to see those photos.

thanks. you pics are good. but since i don't know how much photoshop
works you've put on them, it still not so clear to see if the scanner
good to me.

The old timers here know about this link but if you
don't you may find it useful. This is a page of
unretouched full-resolution scans from all kinds
of film scanners, including all those mentioned
so far.

www.terrapinphoto.com/jmdavis

It wasn't designed as a "scanner comparison"
but it may help put matters into perspective.

rafe b
www.terrapinphoto.com
Old July 30th 06, 12:51 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.medium-format

L.Boy....were all the images on your site scanned with the EPSON 4990?
You have some fine fine images BTW.
I haven't used my RB67 in years but today I purchased a used 50mm lens that
I've been scouting for awhile now. I'm hoping the lens is good and I get
some great autumn shots.
Do you use neutral graduated filters at all?

Old July 30th 06, 06:05 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.medium-format
??Lonely Boy??

I don't use photoshop, actually I don't know even how to use photoshop.

--

---
Lonely Boy

Old July 30th 06, 06:08 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.medium-format
¡¹¡¸Lonely Boy¡¸¡¹

Yes, all of my photos after April 2005 are scanned by EPSON 4990. I don't
use photoshop and normally I correct the colour balance in the scanner
interface and use Digital Ice for color film. I also use the USM (low or
medium setting) in the scanner driver.

--

---
Lonely Boy

Old July 30th 06, 06:12 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.medium-format
¡¹¡¸Lonely Boy¡¸¡¹

These are 120 slide film I scanned by EPSON4990:
http://www.pbase.com/hmlai88/2006lotus

135 color negative film by EPSON4990:
http://www.pbase.com/hmlai88/2006hkflowershow

135B/W film by 4990: