Could you actually see photos made from RAW files?

Old June 2nd 09, 06:08 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,uk.rec.photo.misc
Eric Stevens

Default Could you actually see photos made from RAW files?

On Mon, 01 Jun 2009 18:18:20 -0800, (Floyd L.
Davidson) wrote:

Eric Stevens wrote:
On Tue, 02 Jun 2009 02:59:51 +1000, Bob Larter
wrote:

Eric Stevens wrote:
Nope. What comes out of the sensor is not what is saved in the RAW
file. There is a transformation involved.

What transformation is that? TTBOMK, the only transformation is the A2D
conversion. And that lack of transformations is, after all, the whole
point of the RAW file format in the first place.

AFAIK the contents of the RAW file (ignoring metadata etc) is a fully
detailed map of the sensor data but is not just a 'dump' of the sensor
data. At the very least the quantized sensor voltage has to be
transformed into 12 or 14 bit data. Various corrections may be applied
in the process.

That technically is data encoding, not any sort of
transform that changes the image.

You are quibbling. Whether you call it data encoding or not, it is a
transformation of the data. And no, I'm not trying to say that it
changes the image although in some cases that might happen.

Generally the only
adjustment is the ISO sensitivity (analog gain between
the sensor and the ADC).

As noted in another message Nikon apparently has done
some work on white balance adjustment, but while they
hinted at it in describing the D2x, they have never
given any details, and to my knowledge have never
mentioned it again in regard to later models. Whatever,
it is suspected that they arranged the sensor read
channels in a way that caused each color to be sent to
specific analog amplifiers (otherwise used for ISO
adjustment), and then made minor gain adjustments to
accomplish White Balance.

Not exactly earth shaking; but regardless there has never
been any public release of information about exactly what
they did or didn't do.

Eric Stevens
Old June 2nd 09, 06:11 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,uk.rec.photo.misc
Eric Stevens

On Mon, 01 Jun 2009 17:56:00 -0800, (Floyd L.
Davidson) wrote:

Eric Stevens wrote:
On Tue, 02 Jun 2009 00:28:02 +1000, Bob Larter
wrote:

Eric Stevens wrote:
On Sun, 31 May 2009 16:11:00 -0800,
(Floyd L.
[...]
I've been talking about the RAW file from the beginning. So too were
you at that time. Remember "Floyd, I suspect you have been smoking
something which is not good for you. Subject to statistical error
limitations, ... The data in the RAW file can't be restructured to
make a different image without changing the data."

This is incorrect. As Floyd has said, the same RAW data can result in an
infinite number of final images. For example, one can process it with a
huge range of WB values, or change the EV correction by plus or minus a
couple of stops, set the black level to anything you like, etc, etc.
None of these changes require changes to the RAW data, merely the
interpretation of it.

Its incorrect, as you (or somebody) chopped out the important part. I
originally wrote:

"Floyd, I suspect you have been smoking something which is not
good for you. Subject to statistical error limitations, there is a
one to one correspondence between the source image and the
RAW file. One can be converted to the other using the rules
inherent in the camera's software. The data in the RAW file can't
be restructured to make a different image without changing the
data."

We were then talking about the "source image" - that which was
projected onto the sensor by the lens - and not that infinite range of
images which could be created downstream by the manipulation of the
RAW data.

The raw data can produce multiple images. That is due
to the interpolation that you continue to reference, and
is the reason I continue to discuss the image produced
by interpolation of the raw data.

You keep trying to change the subject. Of course the RAW data can be
used to produce multiple images but not if the image you are referring
to is the source image on the sensor which you can recreate by running
the RAW data backwards through the original transformation algorithm.

The exact same reasoning can be applied earlier in the
data flow where it is true there are multiple different
images which could be projected onto the sensor that
will generate precisely the same raw data.

I'd love you to explain how that can be done.

Eric Stevens
Old June 2nd 09, 06:13 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,uk.rec.photo.misc
Eric Stevens

On Mon, 01 Jun 2009 17:48:17 -0800, (Floyd L.
Davidson) wrote:

Eric Stevens wrote:
On Tue, 02 Jun 2009 00:19:18 +1000, Bob Larter
wrote:

Eric Stevens wrote:
On Sat, 30 May 2009 21:32:27 -0800,
(Floyd L.
Davidson) wrote:

Floyd has failed to point out that at this point he has omitted a
great deal of previous text. I know he has been around more than long
enough to know that this is not the right thing to do.

Eric Stevens wrote:
Floyd, I suspect you have been smoking something which is not good for
you. Subject to statistical error limitations, there is a one to one
correspondence between the source image and the RAW file. One can be
converted to the other using the rules inherent in the camera's
software.
What do you mean by "the source image"?

That which is projected onto the sensor by the lens.

That's what's encoded in the RAW file. It's a losslessly compressed dump
of the contents of the image sensor, without any interpretation.

Not so. The sensor stores volts. The RAW file maps this in 12 or 14
bit patterns. Some transformation has clearly taken place. Nor is it
necessarily compressed and, if compression has taken place it need not
be lossless.

It would perhaps have been preferable if Bob had used
"interpolation" rather than "interpretation", but in
fact he is technically correct anyway.

What you describe is encoding of the data, not
interpretation or interpolation.

He's talking about the *process* of converting from the RAW image to the
RGB image that you see on your screen, which includes Bayer
deconvolution. As he says, there is no 1:1 relationship between a pixel
("sensel") on the image sensor & a pixel on the RGB image that you see
on your screen.

My original proposition was that there is a one to one correspondence
between the source image (that which is projected onto the sensor by
the lens) and data which is stored in the RAW file. Its not possible
that any single RAW file could be produced by more than one sensor
image.

What isn't possible is to use the recorded data in the
RAW file to precisely reproduce an image which is
exactly the same as the one which was projected onto the
sensor. That is indeed simply because there were
multiple possible images which could produce the same
raw data.

So you keep saying. Please explain. This is at the heart of our
argument.

Eric Stevens
Old June 2nd 09, 10:03 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,uk.rec.photo.misc
Floyd L. Davidson

nospam wrote:
In article , Floyd L. Davidson
wrote:

unless you upscale or downscale, the number of input sensels will be
the same as the number of output pixels.

That is not true.

The Nikon D3, as one example, is specified as having a
12.87 Mega pixel sensor. The images it generates are
specified to be 4256x2832, which works out to 12.05 Mega
pixels. Dave Coffin's dcraw program generates a
4284x2844 (12.18Mp) image.

so he keeps the border pixels. that doesn't negate what i said.

It certainly does. "The number of input sensels will be
the same as the number of output pixels" is not true.
And the difference is not fixed either. It depends on
how the interpolation is done.

Ukpeagvik (Barrow, Alaska)
Old June 2nd 09, 11:01 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,uk.rec.photo.misc
Chris Malcolm[_2_]

In rec.photo.digital Bob Larter wrote:
nospam wrote:
In article , Bob Larter
wrote:

TTBOMK, the only transformation is the A2D
conversion. And that lack of transformations is, after all, the whole
point of the RAW file format in the first place.

basically that's true, however, nikon did apply white balance to the
raw data in some cameras before writing it to the file (d1 series, if i
recall). i doubt that's what he meant, and as far as i know, it's no
longer done.

God, I'd hope not! There are two reasons why I shoot RAW: (1) to get the
most dynamic range from my shots, ie; to push them a stop or two, & (2)
To fix the white balance for shots that were taken under mixed lighting.

not to sidetrack, but the only cameras that actually do a transform are
sigma/foveon. the raw data in a sigma raw file is *not* what came off
the sensor and has gone through quite a bit of processing before being
written to the file (which is kinda funny, given the crazy claims about
it being 'true colour').

Yuck. IMHO, the whole point of RAW images is that they haven't been
screwed around with.

It seems that some camera makers don't consider doing some
"improvements" to the RAW data from the sensor as "screwing around
with" :-)

--
Chris Malcolm
Old June 2nd 09, 11:09 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,uk.rec.photo.misc
Floyd L. Davidson

Eric Stevens wrote:
On Mon, 01 Jun 2009 18:53:15 -0800, (Floyd L.
Davidson) wrote:

Eric Stevens wrote:
On Mon, 01 Jun 2009 02:45:35 -0800,
(Floyd L.
Davidson) wrote:

I have changed the silly
things you've written, and I changed
the meaning of a single sentence. Please blame
me for what you write!

Do you see what happens when you delete text without indicating the
fact?

I see that you are dishonest. And disgusting.

I'm trying to get through to others what is wrong with what you have
been doing to me. The only difference is that I confined myself to
deleting individual words from the one paragraph and then I pointed
out what I had done. You - you have been deleting whole paragraphs so
as to completely change the sense of what we have been arguing about.
You then compound matters by not even indicating where or that you
have snipped. To finish it off, you start preaching about netiquette!

You are basically dishonest Eric. First you equate what
you did above to what I do. Then you claim that I
changed the meaning of what you wrote by deleting
unnecessary and unrelated context. Both are dishonest.

I have *never* made any attempt at changing the meaning
of what you wrote, and your statements saying I have are
patently false.

And lets be clear that I have *never* edited any quotes of
your articles in a way that would change the meaning of what
you said.

Bull****. And, as you have already said, you have been round Usenet
more than long enough to know better.

I do know better. You are dishonest, and the above
claim is unjustified in the extreme.

That has never been a "norm" on Usenet.

Bull****. It was the norm when you hung around sci.archaeology. I

You are unaware of what is the accepted norm for Usenet,
and dishonest to boot.

agree it is not common here but people don't normally snip out
numerous segments of the article to which they have been responding in
the way that you have been doing it.

Anyone who understands proper formatting of Usenet
articles does!

Note that "sensor data", in the context of this
discussion, would be the analog data directly read from
the sensor ....

... what analog data?

The sensor is an analog device.

Not really. It's counting photons.

The sensor is an analog device by definition. Look up
what an analog device is and stop making up your own
definitions.

I know what an analog device is. The wells in the sensor count
electrons as a proxy for photons. You can't have fractional electrons.
You can't have fractional photons. You must have integer values. It
cannot be an an analog device.

Okay, you don't know what an analog device is, so lets go
over that too.

The definition of "analog" is that the signal (in this
case it would be the output signal from the sensor) is
continuously variable (it has an infinite number of
possible values). If it is "digital" then it must have
a finite set of discrete values. (Note that the two
definitions are together all inclusive and are mutually
exclusive. Everything is either one or the other and
nothing can be both.)

Now, you may notice that the output of the sensor is a
voltage which is continuously variable over an infinite
number of values between 0 and 1 volts. That makes it
an *analog* device by definition.

That analog data is fed into a device that converts it
to digital data. The output has a finite set of
discrete values. If, for example, it is a 12-bit
digital signal then there are as many as 4096 values.
These values are not continuous (i.e., 3 and 4 are
discrete and there are no values between them as there
would be for an analog signal), hence they are discrete,
and the signal is by definition *digital*.

The reason I've been stating that there are many
possible images which can produce the same digital data
set is because the analog signal to produce any single
one of those 4096 values has an infinite number of
possible values.

The reason I've said you cannot precisely restore the
original image on the sensor is because you do not know
exactly which of the infinite number of possible values
for each digital value should actually be used for the
analog image.

Basic information theory. (Ever heard of Claude E. Shannon??)

Thats all part of the firmware which transforms the sensor data in the
data of the RAW file.

That is *not* part of the firmware. Firmware, other
than setting the ISO gain, has no part in any of that
other than turning it on and off.

You are referring to 'firmware' as though it was 'hardware'. Yet Nikon
can program the camera to behave differently so some software/firmware
must be involved.

I am referring to that as hardware because in fact it is
hardware. It is not done with software/firmware. This
is much like the way you insisted for article after
article that the RAW data had been interpolated...

The original argument was over whether or not it was possible to work
back from the RAW data and arrive at more than one sensor image. I

A nonsense idea, but...

... but that's where we came in. You wrote:

"That's what a camera raw file (the so called RAW format) is... a
pile of parts that you can build an image from, and while the
photographer may have had one specific image in mind when that
pile of data was saved, it can be restructured to make a lot of
different images too."

And I was precisely correct.

... and I responded:

"Floyd, I suspect you have been smoking something which is not
good for you.

Your need to post insults makes you significantly less than
credible.

Subject to statistical error limitations, there is a
one to one correspondence between the source image and the
RAW file. One can be converted to the other using the rules
inherent in the camera's software. The data in the RAW file can't
be restructured to make a different image without changing the
data."

Basically what I said was that what I just quoted you as saying is a
'nonsense idea'.

Basically what you said in the first 5 words is that it
is true that you cannot say there is a one to one
relationship as you had previously stated. Then you go
on to again say something that you've just pointed out
isn't true. "Subject to statistical error limitations"
is not escapable by just denying that it exists. It
does (though that is not really a valid term for what
happens), and therefore, because indeed the results
*are* subject to variations, you cannot get a one to one
correspondence.

Indeed, there are an infinite number of different images
that could produce exactly the same digital data. That
is called "distortion", and is not really a "statistical
error limitation", simply because it is precisely know
what the digital results will be for each and every know
possible analog signal input.

Statistical error limitations would actually, however,
be a correct term to apply to the noise errors caused by
such things as clock jitter, thermal noise, etc. etc.

Unless you can explain how a particular electronic charge from the
sensor can be saved _in_its_original form_ on a Compact Flash card
then you have to accept that the data from the sensor is transformed
before it is saved.

It is encoded. Not transformed. Encoding doesn't change the
results. A transform is where a math formula is applied to change
the resulting image (color, exposure, rotation, etc.). (A caterpillar
is transformed into a butterfly... Data is encoded in binary or
perhaps some m-ary higher level code such as PCM.)

In no case is it reversible.

You can track back through the logic and determine the original state
of the sensor which gave rise to the particular Raw data file. Mind

No you cannot.

you, You would have to know Nikon's original transformation algorithm
before you could work it backwards. I wouldn't like to have to do it.

It's common knowledge.

Indeed, the whole idea of interpolation is to allow
someone to do as close to that as is possible. The
difference though is that if you don't know what the end
result is supposed to look like (which will allow
adjusting parameters until you get an image that looks
"right"), it is not possible. That is because there is
not enough data retained to determine precisely which of
the infinite number of possible original images actually
did produce the image.

Hence, through interpolation you can get any one of an
infinite number of images, but you cannot determine
which of them is indeed that original "source image"
you've talked about.

that only the one sensor image corresponds to any one RAW file data

It is easy to show that there are multiple images on the
sensor that could produce exactly the same data set.

I invite you to do so.

There are, for output values at any given sensor
location, an infinite number of possible light
intensities that could cause each actual possible
digital value. That is, if the digital value is 2012,
there are an infinite number of light values which would
result in a value between 2011 and 2013, and all of them
will be assigned to a value of 2012.

You cannot determine which is which. Now, least you
claim it is insignificant, keep in mind that between
values 2 and 4 the light intensity doubles. That
means there are, for value 3, an infinite number of
values which result from about a 1.4x increase in light
on the sensor.

Not exactly an insignificant change in light! But you
cannot determine, for that range, which is correct over a
1.4x range of light intensity.

Well that's a good wriggle but if you read back above you will find
there are many points you have to answer.

But the fact is that yes I *can* answer all of your questions.

The problem is that you stubbornly refuse to learn anything.

I would particularly like a
clear explanation of how there can be multiple images on the sensor
that could produce exactly the same data set. After all, this is where
we came in.

Then why haven't you made an effort to learn something.
I've explained that several times in several different
ways, and have done so again in another way in this
article. It isn't rocket science. But it *is*
something I've been dealing with for 40 years now...
and hence it is not at all surprising that I might
understand it rather well and can explain it in 15
different ways. But it does make all of your petty
insults a bit of a joke, Eric.

Ukpeagvik (Barrow, Alaska)

Old June 2nd 09, 09:12 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,uk.rec.photo.misc
Chris H

In message , Floyd L. Davidson
writes
Everything is either one or the other and
nothing can be both.)

This is not correct. There are plenty of mixed devices about. Analog
Devices make a few of them.

That is *not* part of the firmware. Firmware, other
than setting the ISO gain, has no part in any of that
other than turning it on and off.

You are referring to 'firmware' as though it was 'hardware'. Yet Nikon
can program the camera to behave differently so some software/firmware
must be involved.

Perfectly correct.

I am referring to that as hardware because in fact it is
hardware. It is not done with software/firmware.

Yes it is. What is more I can supply the tools to write the firmware.
(I can't tell you which but We have supplied software/firmware tools to
more than one OEM digital camera company (P&S variety)

Old June 3rd 09, 12:21 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,uk.rec.photo.misc
Eric Stevens

Davidson) wrote:

[...]

When you go to court you swear to tell the truth, the whole truth and
nothing but the truth. Even if what you quote of mine is quoted
accurately, leaving out large chunks of it has me saying something
other than what I actually said.

It can be OK for you to do that if you indicate that that is what you
have done. But you don't do that. You just delete blocks of text. This
can result in me appearing to say something other than what I actually
said. It can also result in the deletion of the explanation and
justification of what I did say.

It took me a while to wake up to what you were doing and then I found
that when I responded to you I had to go back to my previous article
to discover what you had actually done to it in your response to which
I was responding.

You can't claim that you don't know any better than this if only for
the twenty years of experience you have had with Usenet. What you have
been doing would not have been tolerated for one second twenty years
ago (yeah - I was there too).

And lets be clear that I have *never* edited any quotes of
your articles in a way that would change the meaning of what
you said.

Bull****. And, as you have already said, you have been round Usenet
more than long enough to know better.

I do know better.

If you do know better, why do you do it?

You are dishonest, and the above claim is unjustified in the extreme.

What? That "you have been round Usenet more than long enough to know
better".

That has never been a "norm" on Usenet.

Bull****. It was the norm when you hung around sci.archaeology. I

You are unaware of what is the accepted norm for Usenet,
and dishonest to boot.

See
http://www.softdevlabs.com/personal/Usenet101.html

"Please remember that when you do snip portions of a person's
post, it's extremely important that you not only indicate that
you've done so, but also where you've done so. [5]

The commonly accepted way to indicate snips is to simply insert
the string "snip" (or similar notation) on a line by itself at
the spot where the deleted text used to be. "

I expect that it will be possible to show you are a liar if you claim
to have never been exposed to this practice in you 20 years of Usenet.

agree it is not common here but people don't normally snip out
numerous segments of the article to which they have been responding in
the way that you have been doing it.

Anyone who understands proper formatting of Usenet
articles does!

And they mark where they have snipped!

[...]

Haw. You are now claiming that it is possible to have a continuously
variable number of electrons. I maintain the number of electrons can
only be represented by integers.

Now, you may notice that the output of the sensor is a
voltage which is continuously variable over an infinite
number of values between 0 and 1 volts. That makes it
an *analog* device by definition.

The output of the sensor is an electrical charge. The electrical
charge is dumped into a charge amplifier and it is this which outputs
the voltage. This is the first step in transforming sensor image into
the RAW data file.

That analog data is fed into a device that converts it
to digital data.

The output of the charge amplifier is then digitised. This is the
second step in transforming sensor image into the RAW data file.

The output has a finite set of
discrete values. If, for example, it is a 12-bit
digital signal then there are as many as 4096 values.

In the case of the Nikon D300 the RAW file can be output as either 12
bit or 14 bit. It is likely that before it can be transformed into
either of those formats it is processed in the camera in some other
format.

These values are not continuous (i.e., 3 and 4 are
discrete and there are no values between them as there
would be for an analog signal), hence they are discrete,
and the signal is by definition *digital*.

Before it hits the RAW file, the data is further massaged.

The reason I've been stating that there are many
possible images which can produce the same digital data
set is because the analog signal to produce any single
one of those 4096 values has an infinite number of
possible values.

Not so. The digital value of say 1612 corresponds with only one state
of the particular sensor element. If you know the chain of
transformations between the sensels and the corresponding data of the
RAW file you can work it backwards to derive from the RAW file the
state of the individual sensels which gave rise to the data in the
first place.

The reason I've said you cannot precisely restore the
original image on the sensor is because you do not know
exactly which of the infinite number of possible values
for each digital value should actually be used for the
analog image.

But you do if you understand the nature of the transformation.

Basic information theory. (Ever heard of Claude E. Shannon??)

Of course I have. What exactly does he have to do with it?

Thats all part of the firmware which transforms the sensor data in the
data of the RAW file.

That is *not* part of the firmware. Firmware, other
than setting the ISO gain, has no part in any of that
other than turning it on and off.

You are referring to 'firmware' as though it was 'hardware'. Yet Nikon
can program the camera to behave differently so some software/firmware
must be involved.

I am referring to that as hardware because in fact it is
hardware. It is not done with software/firmware. This
is much like the way you insisted for article after
article that the RAW data had been interpolated...

You had led me onto the garden path for that one. Nevertheless there
is software between the formation of the image on the sensor and the
writing of the data to the RAW file. That is why/how various problems
(e.g. vertical stripes) can be cured by a firmware upgrade.

The original argument was over whether or not it was possible to work
back from the RAW data and arrive at more than one sensor image. I

A nonsense idea, but...

Its not at all nonsense, even if you think it is so.

... but that's where we came in. You wrote:

"That's what a camera raw file (the so called RAW format) is... a
pile of parts that you can build an image from, and while the
photographer may have had one specific image in mind when that
pile of data was saved, it can be restructured to make a lot of
different images too."

And I was precisely correct.

... and I responded:

"Floyd, I suspect you have been smoking something which is not
good for you.

Your need to post insults makes you significantly less than
credible.

It was meant to be good-natured banter.

Subject to statistical error limitations, there is a
one to one correspondence between the source image and the
RAW file. One can be converted to the other using the rules
inherent in the camera's software. The data in the RAW file can't
be restructured to make a different image without changing the
data."

Basically what I said was that what I just quoted you as saying is a
'nonsense idea'.

Basically what you said in the first 5 words is that it
is true that you cannot say there is a one to one
relationship as you had previously stated.

You are I suppose referring to my use of "Subject to statistical error
limitations,.. ".

Then you go
on to again say something that you've just pointed out
isn't true. "Subject to statistical error limitations"
is not escapable by just denying that it exists. It
does (though that is not really a valid term for what
happens), and therefore, because indeed the results
*are* subject to variations, you cannot get a one to one
correspondence.

Is this now how you are explaining your belief that more than one
image corresponds to a patricular RAW file? Its like saying more than
one house can be built from a set of plans because the builder will
read their tape measure slightly differently each time. Well, that's
what I meant when I wrote of "Subject to statistical error
limitations".

Indeed, there are an infinite number of different images
that could produce exactly the same digital data. That
is called "distortion", and is not really a "statistical
error limitation", simply because it is precisely know
what the digital results will be for each and every know
possible analog signal input.

We are talking about images projected on to the sensor. There is fixed
correlation between the light which has fallen on a sensel and the
data which is recorded in the RAW file. Similarly there is a fixed
correlation between the data in the RAW file and the light which fell
on the sensel which created the data. If you know one, you can
determine the other.

Statistical error limitations would actually, however,
be a correct term to apply to the noise errors caused by
such things as clock jitter, thermal noise, etc. etc.

And uncertainty in A to Conversion.

Unless you can explain how a particular electronic charge from the
sensor can be saved _in_its_original form_ on a Compact Flash card
then you have to accept that the data from the sensor is transformed
before it is saved.

It is encoded. Not transformed. Encoding doesn't change the
results. A transform is where a math formula is applied to change
the resulting image (color, exposure, rotation, etc.).

That's one form of transformation. another is where in a system of
cartesian coordinates the point of origin is changed. This requires
that all the coordinates defining a shape be changed (transformed) but
does not change the shape. Or the data may be transformed from
cartesian format to polar. Encoding a message does not change the
message but it does transform it.

(A caterpillar
is transformed into a butterfly... Data is encoded in binary or
perhaps some m-ary higher level code such as PCM.)

In no case is it reversible.

You can track back through the logic and determine the original state
of the sensor which gave rise to the particular Raw data file. Mind

No you cannot.

Why not?

you, You would have to know Nikon's original transformation algorithm
before you could work it backwards. I wouldn't like to have to do it.

It's common knowledge.

There are an awful lot of people who wish it was.

Indeed, the whole idea of interpolation is to allow
someone to do as close to that as is possible. The
difference though is that if you don't know what the end
result is supposed to look like (which will allow
adjusting parameters until you get an image that looks
"right"), it is not possible. That is because there is
not enough data retained to determine precisely which of
the infinite number of possible original images actually
did produce the image.

I think you are back to the image created on a screen (or whatever)
from the RAW data.

Hence, through interpolation you can get any one of an
infinite number of images, but you cannot determine
which of them is indeed that original "source image"
you've talked about.

that only the one sensor image corresponds to any one RAW file data

It is easy to show that there are multiple images on the
sensor that could produce exactly the same data set.

I invite you to do so.

There are, for output values at any given sensor
location, an infinite number of possible light
intensities that could cause each actual possible
digital value. That is, if the digital value is 2012,
there are an infinite number of light values which would
result in a value between 2011 and 2013, and all of them
will be assigned to a value of 2012.

You forget you are dealing with electrons, which can only be described
by integer numbers.

You cannot determine which is which. Now, least you
claim it is insignificant, keep in mind that between
values 2 and 4 the light intensity doubles. That
means there are, for value 3, an infinite number of
values which result from about a 1.4x increase in light
on the sensor.

Not exactly an insignificant change in light! But you
cannot determine, for that range, which is correct over a
1.4x range of light intensity.

See
http://www.clarkvision.com/imagedeta...mance.summary/
for a better indication of the number of electrons you can expect to
deal with: 50,000 or more.

[...]

Congratulations! 40 years ago you were working in Bell Labs along with
Boyle and Smith! And I thought you were only a psychologist.

Eric Stevens
Old June 3rd 09, 03:14 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,uk.rec.photo.misc
Eric Stevens

On Wed, 03 Jun 2009 11:37:23 +1000, Bob Larter
wrote:

Eric Stevens wrote:
On Mon, 01 Jun 2009 18:27:05 -0800, (Floyd L.
Davidson) wrote:

Eric Stevens wrote:
I've got to plead guilty to that. In a moment of brain fade I got
sucked into what Floyd was trying to talk about rather than the
original topic which I was trying to talk about. Rereading all this
below I can see that I had become more than somewhat confused.
Lets be more honest about it Eric. I didn't confuse you
at all, simply because you started out in total
confusion. It's finally beginning to sink in, to the
point where even you can see it.

I'm talking in the hypothetical sense of being able to derive from the
RAW data the light pattern which fell on the sensor to create the RAW
data in the first place. In the case of RAW data which has not been
messed around in some way there is only the one sensor image which
will correspond.
That last sentence is not valid, and is a major source
for your confusion. As nospam said, that doesn't make
sense.

Are you really saying that a given RAW data file can be created by
more than one image?

Yes. If you think carefully about how an image sensor works, it's obvious.

I may be missing something but its not obvious to me.

A lens directs light from a scene so as to form an image on the
camera's sensor.

Different parts of the image fall on individual sensels which, in the
time allowed to them, capture photons which generate electrons. The
accumulated electrons form an electrical charge in each sensel.

According to the type of sensel, the charge is 'read' in one way or
another, and the quantity of charge converted to digital data.

The digital value of the charge is saved in an array which enables the
value of the charge for each individual sensel to be mapped to the
position of the sensel.

Leaving out the question of whether or not the data is further
massaged by the camera before-hand, the data array is saved as the RAW
data file for the image.

That original image on the sensor is characterised by by the raw data
array. Any change in the image gives rise to a different data array.
As far as I can see only the one image can give rise to a particular
data array.

I would be grateful for an explanation of how a different image can
give rise to the same data array.

Eric Stevens
Old June 3rd 09, 03:21 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,uk.rec.photo.misc
Eric Stevens

On Wed, 03 Jun 2009 11:34:55 +1000, Bob Larter
wrote:

Eric Stevens wrote:
On Mon, 01 Jun 2009 06:12:17 -0400, nospam
wrote:

In article , Eric Stevens
wrote:

[..]
I've quoted
from the original articls, and you still keep trying to switch to
conversion from RAW to JPG. That's an entirely different question.
Then stop talking about processing the RAW data to make an image.
I haven't been. If anything I've been talking about working backwards
from the RAW data file to reconstruct the original image.
that doesn't make any sense.

I'm talking in the hypothetical sense of being able to derive from the
RAW data the light pattern which fell on the sensor to create the RAW
data in the first place. In the case of RAW data which has not been
messed around in some way there is only the one sensor image which
will correspond.

That's incorrect. In a Bayer pattern image sensor, for example, fully
half of the sensels can't 'see' red or blue light. As a theoretical
example, imagine if you projected a series of images onto the sensor,
patterned such that the only difference was in the amounts of red/blue
light on the green-sensitive sensels, you would get a series of
identical RAW files. This is obviously a very contrived example, but it
demonstrates the possibility.

Yes, I will accept that, but thats a very special case. It would in
fact require a source image composed of elements below the resolution
of the sensor. I don't think that's what we had in mind.

Eric Stevens