Dying FT2 -- Cost?

Old September 17th 06, 01:13 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Desdinova

Default Dying FT2 -- Cost?

I've been having some shutter problems with my Nikon FT2 and I brought
it to the only local shop with an in-house guy last week. I guess the
shutter windings need to be replaced and the estimate is $250.
Is this pretty average?
It's about four times what the camera is "worth" but she's in amazing
condition otherwise, still operates true enough above 1/30th of a
second and was a gift. Not to mention a good friend. Romanticism~
I will get it repaired but I just want to make sure I'm not getting
screwed.

Any insight is appreciated,
des

Old September 17th 06, 01:49 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Doug Robbins

It's up to you of course, but you can buy several of these for $250. How
often do you use shutter speeds below 1/60 sec? I recently bought an FT3 w/
50mm 1.4 lens for $45. So $250 may represent fair value for the repairman's
time, but the camera could be replaced more economically.

Doug

oups.com...

Old September 17th 06, 02:11 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Geoffrey S. Mendelson

Desdinova wrote:
I've been having some shutter problems with my Nikon FT2 and I brought
it to the only local shop with an in-house guy last week. I guess the
shutter windings need to be replaced and the estimate is $250.

I assume you mean a Nikkormat FT2.

It's about four times what the camera is "worth" but she's in amazing
condition otherwise, still operates true enough above 1/30th of a
second and was a gift. Not to mention a good friend. Romanticism~

There are really several questions, he

1. What is it worth to you?

If having that exact camera is worth something to you, you may either fix
it or just put it on a shelf and look at it lovingly when you want to.

2. What's wrong with it.

If the shutter is fine above 1/30th, then without seeing the camera, I'd
say that since it was made around 1976, it needs a good CLA (clean, lube
and adjust). The important parts still work, but due to the battery
problem the meter is off.

The light seals need to be replaced.

All together, everything except the meter should cost about $75-$100.
If the meter still works properly but reads high due to batteries,
then just set the ASA speed to be 2/3 of a stop lower and it will
work fine. For example, ISO 400 film should be set to ASA 320.

3. Can it be replaced?

KEH has a black FT2 for $84 in bargain condition. I don't know what you
consider "amazing" condition, but if it has signs of wear, it fits
the bargain rating. This includes some sort of return privledge and
a 90 day warranty.

I would give KEH a call or email. See what they want to CLA your
camera.

Geoff.

IL Voice: (07)-7424-1667 Fax ONLY: 972-2-648-1443 U.S. Voice: 1-215-821-1838
Visit my 'blog at
http://geoffstechno.livejournal.com/
Old September 17th 06, 05:52 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Chris Loffredo

Desdinova wrote:
I've been having some shutter problems with my Nikon FT2 and I brought
it to the only local shop with an in-house guy last week. I guess the
shutter windings need to be replaced and the estimate is $250.
Is this pretty average?
It's about four times what the camera is "worth" but she's in amazing
condition otherwise, still operates true enough above 1/30th of a
second and was a gift. Not to mention a good friend. Romanticism~
I will get it repaired but I just want to make sure I'm not getting
screwed.

Any insight is appreciated,
des

IIRC the shutter is a standard Copal Square, used on many other
contemporary cameras (not only Nikon).

$250 sounds like a lot. If the camera has really has sentimental value,
try asking another shop. The used "parts" should be available cheaply
at a good classic camera repairer who has a supply of "donors". I don't
know how mechanically accessible the Nikkormats are, but it should be
much less.

For $250 you can get a Leicaflex SL body in good working condition,
which is indeed a different beast...
Old September 17th 06, 06:11 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Max Perl

If you don't know a privat person which can fix the camera then
you don't get many working hours for $250 (3-4 hours?).
Also get the light seals fixed and other standard cheks. Then
your camera will work for many years.
If you buy a 2nd hand one.....the light seals always need to be
fixed and you don't know if you can trust the shutter speeds.
The back focus could also be out of adjustment if the camera
has got some knocks etc.

Max

oups.com...

Old September 18th 06, 12:52 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
AAvK

I've been having some shutter problems with my Nikon FT2 and I brought
it to the only local shop with an in-house guy last week. I guess the
shutter windings need to be replaced and the estimate is $250.
Is this pretty average?
It's about four times what the camera is "worth" but she's in amazing
condition otherwise, still operates true enough above 1/30th of a
second and was a gift. Not to mention a good friend. Romanticism~
I will get it repaired but I just want to make sure I'm not getting
screwed.

Any insight is appreciated,
des

Ask this seller on eBay, search engine:
130026338800

AAvK
Old September 18th 06, 01:51 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Desdinova

Thanks for the responses.
The light seals have been replaced and I used to get a CLA every two
years, the last one being maybe three years ago, but my regular shop
has gone. The repairman said the shutter winding needs to be replaced.
I'm not really familiar with camera internals, but at the price, I
decided to hold off. I had got my FE's shutter completely replaced
(curtain damage) + CLA for both bodies for less than $200.
Repair vs Replace: That was the first thing I thought. "Damn, I could
get an F3 for that."
Shelving: I'm not really a collector
Nikoncameras on ebay: Thanks, I'll check him out.

Sorry for the single reply but google's newsreader isn't the ideal
client.

Take care,
des

Old September 18th 06, 02:11 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Geoffrey S. Mendelson

Desdinova wrote:
Nikoncameras on ebay: Thanks, I'll check him out.

Just be careful. Many cameras sold on eBay go for more than KEH sells them.
KEH includes a very conservative estimate of condition, a return policy
and 90 day warranty. No matter what condition, all cameras are 100%
functional.

Why anyone would pay MORE for a camera with no one standing behind it,
no warranty, and inflated claims, I have no idea, but it happens everyday.

Old September 18th 06, 02:39 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Advocate

"Geoffrey S. Mendelson" wrote in message
Desdinova wrote:
Nikoncameras on ebay: Thanks, I'll check him out.

Just be careful. Many cameras sold on eBay go for more than KEH sells
them.
KEH includes a very conservative estimate of condition, a return policy
and 90 day warranty. No matter what condition, all cameras are 100%
functional.

Why anyone would pay MORE for a camera with no one standing behind it,
no warranty, and inflated claims, I have no idea, but it happens everyday.

"Nikoncameras on ebay" is a repair station, not sales. You didn't follow the
link before you replied, did you?

Old September 18th 06, 08:20 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Matt Clara

Desdinova wrote:
I've been having some shutter problems with my Nikon FT2 and I brought
it to the only local shop with an in-house guy last week. I guess the
shutter windings need to be replaced and the estimate is $250.
Is this pretty average?
It's about four times what the camera is "worth" but she's in amazing
condition otherwise, still operates true enough above 1/30th of a
second and was a gift. Not to mention a good friend. Romanticism~
I will get it repaired but I just want to make sure I'm not getting
screwed.

Any insight is appreciated,
des

As others have said, take your $250 to KEH and go crazy!
www.keh.com

Matt Clara
www.mattclara.com