how to dark outline the edges of prints??

Old April 11th 06, 03:29 AM posted to rec.photo.darkroom

Default how to dark outline the edges of prints??

okay, you know how sometimes your negative will be slid down a little
too far in the carrier and a little line of light will burn a dark
black outline around the edge of your print? anyway, i really like this
look a lot and have seen prints with the black outline around the whole
image, such as a frame. how is this done? i have a b&W besseler
printmaster. do they make special slide carriers designed to do this?
where do i get them? thanks.

Old April 11th 06, 06:07 AM posted to rec.photo.darkroom

Negative or slide? Many machines have accessory carriers with slightly
larger openings:

Beseler 35mm Glassless Full Format (25x37mm) Negative Carrier for Printmaker
and 67 Series Enlargers

Mfr# 6738 . B&H# BENC35FF67

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...ughType=search

or you can take a carrier and file it out, then blacken the edges with a
Sharpie after you get everything really smooth, or pay someone to do it.
--
darkroommike
ups.com...

Old April 12th 06, 05:39 AM posted to rec.photo.darkroom

You can also "cheat" and do it on the easel with a piece of cardboard just
smaller than the print you are making, make a print of your masterpiece and
then place the cardboard on easel exposing about 1/8 inch along two edges of
the image and pump in the light (I usually put the edges in with white light
after I remove the negative from the carrier) carefully shift the mask to
expose the other two edges and burn as well. I vaguely recall someone
making a fancy "system" easel that could put all sorts of borders on your
images--Kostiner perhaps(?).

--
darkroommike
"Greg "_"" wrote in message
In article . com,
wrote:

okay, you know how sometimes your negative will be slid down a little
too far in the carrier and a little line of light will burn a dark
black outline around the edge of your print? anyway, i really like this
look a lot and have seen prints with the black outline around the whole
image, such as a frame. how is this done? i have a b&W besseler
printmaster. do they make special slide carriers designed to do this?
where do i get them? thanks.

Its an over used technique, but it also has merit as it says this is
how I saw the image edge to edge. Problem being if you establish that as
a selling point of your pictures eventually you'll run into an image
that has to be cropped. Then your left with putting a black border on by
other means like Photo Shop_and everyone knows "that's not reallly
photography :^)

The enlarger makes do usually supply FF carriers,...but more people
often grind them out or file them to get a slightly rough edge.
--
Carry me caravan take me away, take me to Portugal take me to

Spain,Andalucia with fields full grain. I have to see you again and again.
www.gregblankphoto.com

Old April 12th 06, 06:06 AM posted to rec.photo.darkroom

In article ,
"Mike King" wrote:

I vaguely recall someone
making a fancy "system" easel that could put all sorts of borders on your
images--Kostiner perhaps(?).

I think your correct on that, Kostiner made a masking easel which I have
an 11x14 model and they also made a device that either operated
separately or attached for doing as you describe.