Anti-Newtonion glass for 4x5

Old April 10th 06, 04:10 PM posted to rec.photo.darkroom

Default Anti-Newtonion glass for 4x5

And the reason you put AN glass in a carrier in the first place are Newton
Rings which appear when two smooth surfaces contact, in this case the base
side of the film and the glass plate. Since the emulsion side of the film
is not as smooth and secondly even sheet film has a slight curve the base
side is all that causes the problem.

--
darkroommike
"Bogdan Karasek" wrote in message
.. .
HI,

I just want to thank all the people who responded. Some very
interesting comments and information. Didn't know that you only put an
AN on the top and regular good quality glass on the bottom. I've been
shooting 4x5 on and off for the past few years, mostly do 120 and 35,
but as I go on, I'm drawn to the larger format, bought a 5x7 Elwood
enlarger which will differently need an AN, and have shot about 100 8x10
negs. I'm also drawn to the palladium print and thought that the AN
would improve the quality of the negative. I have a heat absorbing glass
in the filter drawer on my DIIv. But still, I like the idea of using
just one neg holder for 35, 4.5x6, 6x6, 6x9 and 4x5 is very alluring.
Point taken about possible dust problems but I'm very scrupulous,
always "dust" both sides of the neg with compressed air and dust out the
condensers at least once a month, if not more often if I'm using it
heavily. So the dust problem would be taken care of. Another factor
that I have to consider is that I often work with the same negative all
day and night. Must take a beating being under the "lights" so long.
????. The AN might help there???

Anyway, You have been very helpful and I Thank You!

Regards,
Bogdan

Greg "_" wrote:
In article ,
(Thor Lancelot Simon) wrote:

In article ,
Greg \"_\" wrote:

The glass is used on the topside only of the carrier because if placed
on the bottom side as well will print the pattern of the ridges onto
the photo paper it will also produce a fuzzy image.

Actually, the best solution I've found is to use anti-newton glass --
available from frame shops as "anti-glare" or "no-glare" glass; it is
acid-etched to have a very very slight stippling -- above the negative,
and coated glass, also available from frame shops, under it. If you
are doing color work you will want to get the fancy low-iron coated
glass for best results, and perhaps use it both above and below the
negative.

Frame shops often sell the "Denglas" brand of coated glass. A large
shop can probably even seam the edges of this for you after cutting it
to size so that you do not risk cutting your fingers when you install
it in the carrier or remove it for cleaning.

Its a good solution-you give. Noting however: "coated" does not equate
to Ant newton,.....but still a good idea never the less for the bottom.

Bogdan Karasek
Montr‚al, Qu‚bec e-mail:

Canada

"Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darber muss man schweigen"
"What we cannot speak about we must pass over in silence"
Ludwig Wittgenstein

Old April 11th 06, 02:15 AM posted to rec.photo.darkroom

In article ,
Greg \"_\" wrote:
In article ,

If you mean that coated glass isn't the same stuff a photo supplier will
sell you as "anti-newton glass", that's correct; the acid-etched "anti
glare" glass sold by frame shops is, as far as I can tell, the exact
same product, however.

Meaning that coated implied clear glass with an anti reflective coating
the same as eye glass- glass,...I would not put any frosted textured or
otherwise non clear glass below the negative and expect a sharp result
at the paper.

Yeah, we're on violent agreement on this: anti newton glass under the
negative is a very bad idea. But I have, in fact, seen newton rings
on negatives that did in fact appear to come from the interface between
the glass _under_ the negative and the negative -- and short of oiling
both surfaces, which is what I did (using the entire bottle of immersion
oil from a microscope kit I had stashed away in my basement, actually!)
and which is quite a mess to clean up, the only real solution for that
interface is coated glass.

--
Thor Lancelot Simon

"We cannot usually in social life pursue a single value or a single moral
aim, untroubled by the need to compromise with others." - H.L.A. Hart
Old April 12th 06, 05:05 AM posted to rec.photo.darkroom

On Sun, 09 Apr 2006 20:06:22 -0400, "Greg \"_\""
wrote:

Its a good solution-you give. Noting however: "coated" does not equate
to Ant newton,.....but still a good idea never the less for the bottom

I use it for both top and bottom though I admit that I only use the
top if the negative is bowed. Suprisingly I find that my TXP negs are
flat. Perfectly flat ? Nope. But with one glass on the bottom and only
2X enlargments .... adequate.

==
John S. Douglas
Photographer & Webmaster
www.legacy-photo,com
www.xs750.net
Old April 12th 06, 05:07 AM posted to rec.photo.darkroom

On Sun, 09 Apr 2006 22:48:19 -0700, David Nebenzahl
wrote:

Just for the benefit of my little brain, is that "coated glass" coated
with the same stuff used on lenses (magnesium fluoride, etc.)?

I believe it is. Looks green in reflected light. Amazing difference
when used for print display.

==
John S. Douglas
Photographer & Webmaster
www.legacy-photo,com
www.xs750.net
Old April 12th 06, 06:14 AM posted to rec.photo.darkroom

wrote:

Its a good solution-you give. Noting however: "coated" does not equate
to Ant newton,.....but still a good idea never the less for the bottom

I use it for both top and bottom though I admit that I only use the
top if the negative is bowed. Suprisingly I find that my TXP negs are
flat. Perfectly flat ? Nope. But with one glass on the bottom and only
2X enlargments .... adequate.

==
John S. Douglas
Photographer & Webmaster
www.legacy-photo,com
www.xs750.net

Anti newton??? Or just coated?
--
The sometimes insomniac.

www.gregblankphoto.com
Old April 13th 06, 04:50 AM posted to rec.photo.darkroom

On Wed, 12 Apr 2006 01:14:47 -0400, "Greg \"_\""
wrote:

I use it for both top and bottom though I admit that I only use the
top if the negative is bowed. Suprisingly I find that my TXP negs are
flat. Perfectly flat ? Nope. But with one glass on the bottom and only
2X enlargments .... adequate.

==

Anti newton??? Or just coated?

Just coated. I have some AN in an Omega 4X5 carrier but alas I haven't
used it in 4 years now.

==
John S. Douglas
Photographer & Webmaster