Wasn't doing anything else

Old May 20th 13, 03:42 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
PhotoPhartz

Default Wasn't doing anything else

With the recent purchase of a Canon SX500 IS SUPERzoom P&S there was this
personal resurgence of photographic interest in me so I've spent the last
couple of weeks reading all 82,896 posts of this group that eternal-
september has archived. Really. Gotta say I feel like I know and love
each and every one of you. Really. My name is Pat or PhotoPhartz. I'm
in SoCal.

That said, I've had a lot of fun putting the SX500 IS through it's paces.
The flexibility of the zoom lense is fabulous. The short end is wider
than my previous Powershot A550 and the long is in a whole 'nuther world.
As expected low light is not it's real forté but I've gotten pretty
interesting results with timed exposures and pretty dim conditions. Out
in the sun the thing works great.

Monopod or my little tabletop tripod are most helpful when in the far
zooming ranges. This is my first camera without an optical viewfinder -
and I miss it.

I've put up a few of the better shots out of the almost 700 taken in the
last couple weeks since getting the camera. I can't seem to link you to
all albums, for you to choose, so these links are for individual albums.
There's 3~6 shots in each album. Some of the moon from last night,
telephoto bird shots, macro flower shots, wild(?)life, and other stuff.
I hope you'll take a look.

Moon:
http://opa.cig2.usa.canon.com/s/m/E7ps57kR3Ep

Outside:
http://opa.cig2.usa.canon.com/s/m/HmngpgSQyeu

Flowers:
http://opa.cig2.usa.canon.com/s/m/BEcGTtgZ2aU

Lizards:
http://opa.cig2.usa.canon.com/s/m/Cmvnrdds8a2

Clown:
http://opa.cig2.usa.canon.com/s/m/GMVct3uScsQ

Birds:
http://opa.cig2.usa.canon.com/s/m/DjzxVLhppNA

I'm holding out a few shots that I'll submit to the furniture SI. Other
than a bland pic of my bar-b-que I don't have much going for that mandate
yet. There's still time . . .

--

Pat

email: phartzATcoxDOTnet
Old May 20th 13, 04:14 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2013-05-19 19:42:42 -0700, PhotoPhartz said:

[...]

I suggest that you start looking at images which please your eye, and
try to understand what it is about the subject and composition which
attracted you to them. Then, see what you can do to put those lessons
into action. Most importantly, have fun.

I'm holding out a few shots that I'll submit to the furniture SI. Other
than a bland pic of my bar-b-que I don't have much going for that mandate
yet. There's still time . . .

Welcome aboard the SI, and feel free to comment. Understand that
comments from the usual suspects here will range from grudging
admiration to constructive criticism. Also each of us has their
personal taste and comfort zone to deal with, and that colors what we
might have to say.

As far as barbecue shots go, there is more to shoot than your backyard
grill. I would imaging that somewhere in that land of SoCal heathens
you will find BBQ at local community events. Up here in San Luis Obispo
County we have various farmers' markets and other events where BBQ is
the event. So, look beyond your backyard.

Savageduck

Old May 20th 13, 05:16 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Phantom Post

Tony Cooper wrote in
:

Nice, sharp images for the most part. The colors seem a bit saturated
(especially in the flowers), but very saturated images do have "pop".

Thanks for your comments. I haven't done anything in post as far as color
adjustments go. The sunset shot did have the "vivid" color setting on on
the camera just as an experiment. I do like the intense colors but I'll
have to think about and play with the saturation aspect of things.

--

Pat

email: phartzATcoxDOTnet
Old May 20th 13, 02:12 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Wolfgang Weisselberg

PhotoPhartz wrote:
Outside:
http://opa.cig2.usa.canon.com/s/m/HmngpgSQyeu

Nice one. Works. Draws the eye.
Not totally centered, but symmetric --- yet not a mirror
image. Nice blue colour, large enough blue patches to work, small
enough not to overly dominate the image. The tendrils left
help to break the symmetry. Left: sunshine, right: shadow.

I think one of the important things in the image is that you
got the size of the coloured spaces quite right (some colours
are weaker and thus need more space to be in balance to other,
"stronger" colours).

-Wolfgang
Old May 21st 13, 05:12 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
PhotoPhartz

Wolfgang Weisselberg wrote in news:j3kp6a-
:

PhotoPhartz wrote:
Outside:
http://opa.cig2.usa.canon.com/s/m/HmngpgSQyeu

Nice one. Works. Draws the eye.
Not totally centered, but symmetric --- yet not a mirror
image. Nice blue colour, large enough blue patches to work, small
enough not to overly dominate the image. The tendrils left
help to break the symmetry. Left: sunshine, right: shadow.

I think one of the important things in the image is that you
got the size of the coloured spaces quite right (some colours
are weaker and thus need more space to be in balance to other,
"stronger" colours).

-Wolfgang

Thanks for your comments. Appreciated.

--

Pat

email: phartzATcoxDOTnet

Arrggh! Why Wasn't The Canon 24-105 a 2.8?!? Simon Digital Photography 27 June 15th 06 04:07 AM
It wasn't me! DD 35mm Photo Equipment 1 May 23rd 06 03:28 PM
wasn't dust- were watermarks! [email protected] Digital SLR Cameras 6 April 16th 05 11:08 PM