IrfanView: Saving ICO with transparency

Old March 8th 13, 02:48 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.comp.freeware
Mayayana

Default IrfanView: Saving ICO with transparency

I think it's just a case of function overkill. It used to
have only a checkbox to save transparency. The main
window color checkbox seems to be an option to select
the background color without needing to go through the
click-on-the-image step to select the transparent color.
It doesn't really make much sense, though, because
icons sometimes don't have an unambiguous "background"
color.

So, check "Save Transparency" to get a transparent
color. Check the "main window color" checkbox if you think
it's exhausting to have to click in the window to choose
a transparent color, and you don't mind risking that IrfanView
will pick the wrong color. If you don't check it, IrfanView will
present the window where you can click on the color you want
transparent. Try it out. It'll be obvious once you do it.

Old March 8th 13, 04:45 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.comp.freeware
Terry Pinnell

Thanks. But I had tried that "main window color" checkbox and there was no
transparency in the result.

--
Terry, East Grinstead, UK

Old March 8th 13, 07:07 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.comp.freeware
Mayayana

--
"Terry Pinnell" wrote in message
news | Thanks. But I had tried that "main window color" checkbox and there was no
| transparency in the result.

I see you're right. That's weird. From the help:

"If you activate the option Use main window color for transparency, the
current window color (Properties-Viewing) will be automatically set as
transparent color."

I made the error of assuming the function made sense and
that therefore the checkbox text must be worded badly. But
it actually means what it says. It sets the IV window background
color as the transparent color! I tried it and it works. In my
case I set the IV background gray, to match my default window
frame color. I can't imagine what Mr. Skildjan was thinking.

Old March 10th 13, 03:14 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.comp.freeware
Mayayana

| Yes, unless i hear to the contrary I think that option is unlikely to be
| useful! I'll ask Irfan about it.

I seem to be missing at least 2 posts in this thread. I don't
know why.

Talking about "window color" is confusing, but it also applies,
in my tests. If I use an image with transparency and resave
as another image then checking that box will save the same
transparent color. If I save a solid image then it actually does
set the transparent color to be whatever the IV window color
is, which makes no sense. And how often would a transparent
image be resaved? If I edit the image I won't be doing that in
IV. So the option would only apply when saving a GIF to ICO,
GIF to PNG, PNG to GIF, etc. I don't think I've ever done any
of those operations. ... I'm guessing that that pointless and
confusing extra option in v. 4.35, which was not present in
v. 4.33, will disappear in a later release.

Old March 10th 13, 04:36 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.comp.freeware
B. R. 'BeAr' Ederson[_6_]

On Sun, 10 Mar 2013 11:14:38 -0400, Mayayana wrote:

[Transparency to main window color]
how often would a transparent image be resaved? If I edit the image I
won't be doing that in IV. So the option would only apply when saving a
GIF to ICO, GIF to PNG, PNG to GIF, etc. I don't think I've ever done any
of those operations. ... I'm guessing that that pointless and confusing
extra option in v. 4.35, which was not present in v. 4.33, will disappear
in a later release.

That *you* don't do such things doesn't mean, /nobody/ does. Editing
existing icons to create new ones can perfectly be done in IrfanView
with Paint plugin, for instance. And when creating a whole bunch of
them, the removed tedious extra-step to select the transparent color
on saving is welcome.

BeAr
= What do you mean with: "Perfection is always an illusion"? =