Enlarging lens question

Old April 4th 06, 10:48 PM posted to rec.photo.darkroom

Default Enlarging lens question

"David Nebenzahl" wrote in message
.com...
Richard Knoppow spake thus:

... Kodak Enlarging Ektars are also excellent and often
cheap used because they are so old.

We may have been over this before, but what do you think
of the predecessors to those lenses, the Projection
Anastigmats? (Apart from their not being coated.) I've got
a bunch of these (cheap from eBay) that I've gotten
excellent results from.

I've not had one to test. They are probably good
performers. The Enlarging Ektar series was intended for
color work, they are well corrected for lateral color. The
50mm and 75mm are Heliar types (5 elements in 3 groups), the
152mm is a dialyte (four air spaced elements). I have a 75mm
Enlarging Ektar, which holds it own compared to an older
Componon. I also have a 152mm Ektar but its scratched up.
The lenses I use for enlarging are all Componon-S except for
the 80mm one which is an earlier chrome barrel one.

--
---
Richard Knoppow

Old April 5th 06, 05:00 AM posted to rec.photo.darkroom

On Tue, 04 Apr 2006 21:48:08 GMT, "Richard Knoppow"
wrote:

We may have been over this before, but what do you think
of the predecessors to those lenses, the Projection
Anastigmats? (Apart from their not being coated.) I've got
a bunch of these (cheap from eBay) that I've gotten
excellent results from.

I've not had one to test.

I have one that I would be glad to send out to you if you want to take
a look at it. It's a 161/4.5. Very heavy for such a compact lens. The
outer dimater of the threaded area is 50.8mm and the front is 49.1mm.
In looking at the specular reflections of my rooms overhead ligt in
the lens, there are 5 reflections that are easily observable. I picked
mine up on Ebay for the princely sum of $7.50 +S&H but I don't feel
cheated as the lens came in the original box with the original packing
paper and lens cap. I'd say it's in mint condition and never been
used.

==
John S. Douglas
Photographer & Webmaster
www.legacy-photo,com
www.xs750.net
Old April 5th 06, 07:04 AM posted to rec.photo.darkroom

John spake thus:

wrote:

[...]

I have that exact same lens here; came with my $9 5x7 Elwood. Not
unused, but in excellent condition. And it makes very good prints from
4x5, that I can vouch for.

--
Save the Planet
Kill Yourself

- motto of the Church of Euthanasia (http://www.churchofeuthanasia.org/)
Old April 19th 06, 11:26 PM posted to rec.photo.darkroom

That's the best advice I've rad on this thread so far!

"Nicholas O. Lindan" wrote in message
link.net...
"Colyn" wrote

needed another lens
for an Omega C700 I found which will go to a friends son who is
learning to process and print his own photos. [Found an
el-Omegaron and el-Beselar...]

I had a Nikon 50/3.5 Tessar formula lens which I replaced with
a 50/2.8 6-Element. The difference in prints was startling:
I couldn't tell the difference. Several hundred dollars down
the drain. I have very good acuity, I spot my prints with
a 30x stereo microscope, I have 'blads, Leicas and Sinars all with
SOTA lenses and my requirements for 'sharp' are higher than
any other anal retentive I know. Bottom line: IMO there is
more hype about lenses than there is about developers - that
doesn't mean there aren't some really awful lenses out there
but Apo-Costalotagons don't improve anyone's photographs.

Put the lenses on your enlarger and make a few test prints.
Only you can say what is acceptable you.

I wouldn't spend money on lenses for the kid when he may
not get hooked by darkroom work. As a first lens either of
these is great. Play 'Princess and the Pea': if the kid
complains about sharpness then you know he is on the hook.

--
Nicholas O. Lindan, Cleveland, Ohio
Consulting Engineer: Electronics, Photonics, Informatics.

Blinking light in window: Fresh Timers Available, still
warm from the solder oven.