Revolutionary use of digital images

Old June 12th 07, 02:23 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Derek Fountain

Default Revolutionary use of digital images

This was on Digg this morning, so many of you might have seen it:

http://www.ted.com/index.php/talks/view/id/129

but I'm surprised no one has mentioned it here.

It's not often a Micros**t technology demonstration draws gasps of
astonishment from a live audience, nor, if I'm honest, a great deal of
respect from me, given my view of their products and practices. And in
that vein I have to add that they acquired this, rather than invented it!

But, credit where it's due, this is absolutely astonishing stuff. What
they've done with the images of Notre Dame harvested from Flickr has
profound implications for all digital photographers.

Invest 9 minutes of your life watching the video.

--
Derek Fountain on the web at http://www.derekfountain.org/
Old June 12th 07, 02:40 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
if

Derek Fountain wrote:

It's not often a Micros**t technology demonstration draws gasps of
astonishment from a live audience, nor, if I'm honest, a great deal of
respect from me, given my view of their products and practices. And in
that vein I have to add that they acquired this, rather than invented it!

But, credit where it's due, this is absolutely astonishing stuff. What
they've done with the images of Notre Dame harvested from Flickr has
profound implications for all digital photographers.

Large-scale copyright infringement is nothing new for Microsoft, for
instance their "smart tag" technology was also designed to create
unauthorised derivative works from copyright websites.
Old June 12th 07, 08:28 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
dennis@home

"if" wrote in message
Derek Fountain wrote:

It's not often a Micros**t technology demonstration draws gasps of
astonishment from a live audience, nor, if I'm honest, a great deal of
respect from me, given my view of their products and practices. And in
that vein I have to add that they acquired this, rather than invented it!

But, credit where it's due, this is absolutely astonishing stuff. What
they've done with the images of Notre Dame harvested from Flickr has
profound implications for all digital photographers.

Large-scale copyright infringement is nothing new for Microsoft, for
instance their "smart tag" technology was also designed to create
unauthorised derivative works from copyright websites.

If someone doesn't want people to actually look at images why are they
posted?
It is just another viewer like a web browser.

Old June 12th 07, 11:53 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
=\(8\)

"dennis@home" wrote in message

"if" wrote in message
Derek Fountain wrote:

It's not often a Micros**t technology demonstration draws gasps of
astonishment from a live audience, nor, if I'm honest, a great deal of
respect from me, given my view of their products and practices. And in
that vein I have to add that they acquired this, rather than invented
it!

But, credit where it's due, this is absolutely astonishing stuff. What
they've done with the images of Notre Dame harvested from Flickr has
profound implications for all digital photographers.

Large-scale copyright infringement is nothing new for Microsoft, for
instance their "smart tag" technology was also designed to create
unauthorised derivative works from copyright websites.

If someone doesn't want people to actually look at images why are they
posted?
It is just another viewer like a web browser.

Apparently you didn't watch the video. No web browser on Earth does what
that technology does, not even close.

=(8)

Old June 12th 07, 11:57 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
acl

On Jun 12, 5:23 pm, Derek Fountain wrote:

But, credit where it's due, this is absolutely astonishing stuff. What
they've done with the images of Notre Dame harvested from Flickr has
profound implications for all digital photographers.

I admit that I don't really see how this has profound implications for
photographers: from that perspective, it is merely a way of cleverly
indexing images (that they took them from flickr seems irrelevant to
me.

What is interesting (to me) is that this is an excellent way of
allowing our brain's major abilities (3-d modeling) to be used to
navigate through a complicated maze of information. It's inevitable
that something like this will eventually be used by everybody to
access information databases, as current indexing techniques
(basically, tagging with words and explicitly cross-referencing) are
now major limiting factors to access to information, at least in some
situations.

But there will be other problems with such techniques, eg it's not
obvious how to map various relations between (say) academic papers to
a 3-d space and then represent that visually.

Another reason I liked this is that it is close to an idea Asimov had
in his Foundation series: the Prime Radiant!

Old June 13th 07, 03:08 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Rich

On Jun 12, 9:23 am, Derek Fountain wrote:
This was on Digg this morning, so many of you might have seen it:

http://www.ted.com/index.php/talks/view/id/129

but I'm surprised no one has mentioned it here.

It's not often a Micros**t technology demonstration draws gasps of
astonishment from a live audience, nor, if I'm honest, a great deal of
respect from me, given my view of their products and practices. And in
that vein I have to add that they acquired this, rather than invented it!

But, credit where it's due, this is absolutely astonishing stuff. What
they've done with the images of Notre Dame harvested from Flickr has
profound implications for all digital photographers.

Invest 9 minutes of your life watching the video.

--
Derek Fountain on the web athttp://www.derekfountain.org/

What a F------ JOKE! I can just seem some LOSER trying to ferret out
anything worthwhile in those LITTLE PICTURES...on his PATHETIC
iPhone!!!! Until people develop EYES that can zoom in (not for
awhile, I trust) this stuff, this CRAMMING of data into WORTHLESS,
TINY packages, not to MENTION having to DEAL with F----- pathetic ads
from companies like BMW while you ATTEMPT to use this STUFF for
ANTHING practical, is a WASTE OF TIME.
Please y-gens, will you and your qualityless JUNK just go the F----
away??!

Old June 13th 07, 05:16 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
=\(8\)

"acl" wrote in message
ps.com...
[...]

Then I guess you didn't watch enough of it to see how no matter how far they
zoomed in on an image there was sharp pure detail? But I guess that isn't
anything of interest. Or the way it was able to pull images shot with
different cameras and even different technologies from different angles,
perspectives, camera settings, formats, etc. and then reconstruct the full
object taking in to account all of these variables from all of these
different images even going do far as being able to show you where the image
in question was shot in relation to its placement in the recreated structure
(in there example anyways). No I guess none of that is revolutionary. Just
like it wasn't revolutionary that they had hundreds of not thousands of
images up on screen and instantly viewable at nearly any zoom level
instantly and with a far greater speed than anything we have today. No I
guess that wasn't anything special either.

=(8)

Old June 13th 07, 05:17 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
=\(8\)

"Rich" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

What a ****ing dumb ass. Didn't you actually what the video and how those
little images were able to be zoomed in to full screen instantly and a very
high resolution with sharp detail? Dumb ass!

=(8)

Old June 13th 07, 06:40 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Rich

On Jun 13, 12:17 am, "=\(8\)" wrote:
"Rich" wrote in message

oups.com...

[...]

Reminds me of the reason why a fast growing profession is people who
are paid to wade through the terabytes of useless dross being produced
everyday on the net to find stuff that is important or illuminating.

Old June 13th 07, 10:04 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Derek Fountain

I admit that I don't really see how this has profound implications for
photographers: from that perspective, it is merely a way of cleverly
indexing images (that they took them from flickr seems irrelevant to
me.

When you go out to shoot, say, a landscape, or a large interesting
building like Notre Dame Cathedral, you come back with a bunch of still
images. Some people attempt to "bring them to life" by packaging them up
into a slideshow, where they roll by one after the other. Not exactly
dramatic presentation of the media.

This technology allows you to show the scene dynamically. It rebuilds
the scene the viewer wants to see from the angle the viewer wants to see
it from, at the zoom level the user wants to use (as long as there's
original image data in the photos to work from AIUI). It allows the
viewer to pan around, change viewing angle and zoom in and out at
remarkably high speed. I can see that brightening up my Dad's next set
of holiday photos...

Of course, whether you actually want your images to be used like this,
or whether you think they speak for themselves as stills, is a matter of
taste.

--
Derek Fountain on the web at http://www.derekfountain.org/