Image storage devices...any suggestions?

Old June 10th 07, 04:44 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
the_niner_nation

Default Image storage devices...any suggestions?

Hi..I'm looking for a device to transfer then store images from a compact
flash card whilst photographing ina field based environment.

40-60gb should be ample for my needs, but what i am really interested in is
the speed of transfer from CF card to device, and how much that has an
effect ont he battery, as I will be in an environment for 2 weeks with no
electrical power for charging etc.

I know some of the fancier ones act as an image viewer too, but whilst thats
nice to have, i really need somehting that will give me more in terms of
transfer speeds and power useage.

Thanks!

Old June 10th 07, 06:38 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
=\(8\)

"the_niner_nation" wrote in message
.. .
Hi..I'm looking for a device to transfer then store images from a compact
flash card whilst photographing ina field based environment.

40-60gb should be ample for my needs, but what i am really interested in
is the speed of transfer from CF card to device, and how much that has an
effect ont he battery, as I will be in an environment for 2 weeks with no
electrical power for charging etc.

I know some of the fancier ones act as an image viewer too, but whilst
thats nice to have, i really need somehting that will give me more in
terms of transfer speeds and power useage.

Thanks!

Take a look at Epson's P-3000 unit. They are brilliant, reliable and the
screen is fantastic (a feature I didn't think I would use but couldn't live
without now.) The screen is actually 640x480 which means at VGA resolution
you can do a better job of checking focus and sharpness. They are more
expensive because of the high quality screens but are a much better
investment than other things like the HyperDrive and the like which I have
owned and had problems with. Don't cheap out, get something good and it will
be good to you.

=(8)

Old June 10th 07, 07:03 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
John McWilliams

the_niner_nation wrote:
Hi..I'm looking for a device to transfer then store images from a compact
flash card whilst photographing ina field based environment.

40-60gb should be ample for my needs, but what i am really interested in is
the speed of transfer from CF card to device, and how much that has an
effect ont he battery, as I will be in an environment for 2 weeks with no
electrical power for charging etc.

I know some of the fancier ones act as an image viewer too, but whilst thats
nice to have, i really need somehting that will give me more in terms of
transfer speeds and power useage.

I'd go with more, a lot more, CF cards. Then the only power/failure
you'll need to cover is the camera itself. Quick and judicious deletes
in the cool of the evening will expand your apparent capacity quite a
bit, as will switching to JPEG if the circumstances allow.

--
John McWilliams
Old June 10th 07, 07:46 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
babaloo

The price of compact flash cards is dropping like a stone.
The Epson is a good device, but you should check it out before buying.
It is largish and heavy, compared to the size and heft of a few extra
compact flash cards, and needs its own power source, something extra-like
more batteries- to carry around.
The Epson is a cool multimedia device, however, if you want to use it for
that purpose also.

Old June 10th 07, 08:18 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
the_niner_nation

"babaloo" wrote in message
. net...
The price of compact flash cards is dropping like a stone.
The Epson is a good device, but you should check it out before buying.
It is largish and heavy, compared to the size and heft of a few extra
compact flash cards, and needs its own power source, something extra-like
more batteries- to carry around.
The Epson is a cool multimedia device, however, if you want to use it for
that purpose also.

It is a huge trade off...as it's unlikely I wil lever be shooting in a
location like this that has no electrical power points again.

The media playing capabilities of the epson arn't important to me..what IS
important is how fast and how much abttery it would take in doing it.

Im not being cheap by not rushing out to get one..I actually would rather
spend the money on more CF cards incase the media storage device had a
malfuntion!

Old June 10th 07, 11:29 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
[email protected]

On Sun, 10 Jun 2007 16:44:29 +0100, "the_niner_nation"
wrote:

Hi..I'm looking for a device to transfer then store images from a compact
flash card whilst photographing ina field based environment.

40-60gb should be ample for my needs, but what i am really interested in is
the speed of transfer from CF card to device, and how much that has an
effect ont he battery, as I will be in an environment for 2 weeks with no
electrical power for charging etc.

I know some of the fancier ones act as an image viewer too, but whilst thats
nice to have, i really need somehting that will give me more in terms of
transfer speeds and power useage.

Thanks!

The Epsons are marvelous devices when they work.
Heaven forbid you have to get one repaired. At least in New England in
the US. I have a P2000 that sits languishing on a shelf after an
unfortunate incident on a train where an intoxicated Red Sox stumbled
into me and stepped on it and shattered the screen. This was a case
where I had just gotten the device back from a power problem repair
under warrantee.

To have the device repaired you contact Epson who will send you to a
third party repair shop. You cannot send the device into Epson
directly. Most of the repair shops they send you to will tell you they
handle printers and other Epson devices but not the digital photo
viewers. Actually most will ask you what the heck the device is.

In massachussetts I have found one place that will take the device.
But that shop had the device for a seperate repiar they couldn't
perform for 4 months. It took them 45 days to figure out they couldn't
repair it and then all but 2 weeks of the remaining time to actually
send it back to Epson for the replacement. I would talk to Epson tech
support, who could not talk with the Epson repair depot but had to
talk to the external vendor. I actually got a young kid on a Saturday
working at the place who was willing to contact the Epson Repair
depot, get the instructions for mailing the device to them and send it
off that day. I really hope he didn't get in trouble. Espon had the
device back in a week. I went on a trip the day before it came in, was
hoping to use the epson and leave the laptop. So it sat on a shelf
waiting for me for 6 days. Then 2 motnths later I didn't keep a good
grip, should have had the strap on my wrist, and had it knocked out of
my hand and stepped on. The intoxicated individuals wife was actually
mortified and sent me a check to cover the cost of a new device based
on her calling wolf camera to get a quote. I checked into repairing it
but Epson gave me 4 repair depots who all said they were not certified
to repair that device and wouldn't even take it to send it in for
repair. My only option then was the first place which was no option.
They'll never get my business again.

So based on that experience I just can't spend the money on a new
Epson. I would love the new canon devices but their not available in
North America. I am now debating perhaps the jobo. But while I'll
still use me Epson printers, their multimedia storage viewers are not
options for me and I really can't recommend them based on my
experience.

Though the P2000 was a great device, if a little slow on transfers and
had a few quirks such as when you create and album to organize the
images in it renames the files.The P3000 and newer might very well
resolve these issues. It was certainly great for showing the images to
people. Having the larger screen and the histogram was nice as well.

Lawson

Old June 11th 07, 12:34 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Robert Coe

On Sun, 10 Jun 2007 20:18:55 +0100, "the_niner_nation"
wrote:
:
: "babaloo" wrote in message
: . net...
[...]

By relying on more CF cards, you'll be getting along without any form of
backup. So you'd better keep those cards away from any magnets (like those
that might be found in airport security devices).

Bob
Old June 11th 07, 01:38 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
MarkČ

Robert Coe wrote:
On Sun, 10 Jun 2007 20:18:55 +0100, "the_niner_nation"
wrote:

"babaloo" wrote in message
. net...
[...]

Airport security won't have an effect on CF cards.

www.pbase.com/markuson

Old June 11th 07, 01:43 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Robert Haar

On 6/10/07 7:34 PM, "Robert Coe" wrote:

By relying on more CF cards, you'll be getting along without any form of
backup. So you'd better keep those cards away from any magnets (like those
that might be found in airport security devices).

I have never heard of any type of flash memory that was scrambled by airport
security devices. If the magnetic field was that strong, I would not want to
be anywhere near it.

Do you have any evidence to the contrary?

Old June 11th 07, 02:20 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Mark B.

"Robert Coe" wrote in message

By relying on more CF cards, you'll be getting along without any form of
backup. So you'd better keep those cards away from any magnets (like those
that might be found in airport security devices).

Bob

I've been through countless security scanners with my photo gear and all
manner of memory card and electronic memory, both local and overseas and
never had a loss of data.

Mark