Future of digital slr's

Old May 30th 07, 10:16 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Not Me

Default Future of digital slr's

What's the future of digital slr cameras?

We've heard that megapixels aren't everything.

Will manfacturers start putting larger sensors on digital cameras? Will
this make digital slr's more similar to 35mm photos or do we need to look to
medium or large format cameras with digital backs to get more of a 35mm
equivalent?

Thanks for any & all thoughts!

Old May 31st 07, 12:43 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Scott W

On May 30, 11:16 am, "Not Me" wrote:
What's the future of digital slr cameras?

We've heard that megapixels aren't everything.

Will manfacturers start putting larger sensors on digital cameras? Will
this make digital slr's more similar to 35mm photos or do we need to look to
medium or large format cameras with digital backs to get more of a 35mm
equivalent?

No if you want more of a 35mm equivalent you need to buy a 3 year old
DSLR, say a nice
10D. A full frame camera like the 5D will do well in image quality
against a 645 MF camera.

Scott

Old May 31st 07, 03:57 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
=\(8\)

"Not Me" wrote in message
. ..
What's the future of digital slr cameras?

We've heard that megapixels aren't everything.

Will manfacturers start putting larger sensors on digital cameras? Will
this make digital slr's more similar to 35mm photos or do we need to look
to medium or large format cameras with digital backs to get more of a 35mm
equivalent?

Thanks for any & all thoughts!

My opinion is that until the consumers start slapping the camera makers more
mega-pixels is going to be their choice dejour for sometime. At some point
consumers will get tired of the bull, resolution will settle to the 10MP
mark or around there, sensors at this resolution will get better, different
technologies will make this happen and then finally we will see cameras
design with digital in mind instead of cameras designed with technology
based on the film world. When digital mind sets takes off we will start to
see some very cool features features that a film based camera could never do
things like in camera HDR, I figure we will also see a very big change in
lenses as more of the work is done at the sensor level. But, I figure we are
at least 10 years away from the camera companies waking up and moving off
the MP push.

=(8)

Old May 31st 07, 06:02 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Phil, Non-Squid[_3_]

=(8) wrote:
"Not Me" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

HDR is no cure for high contrast scenes.

--
Phil

Old May 31st 07, 11:24 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Charlie Self

On May 30, 5:16�pm, "Not Me" wrote:
What's the future of digital slr cameras?

We've heard that megapixels aren't everything.

Will manfacturers start putting larger sensors on digital cameras? *Will
this make digital slr's more similar to 35mm photos or do we need to look to
medium or large format cameras with digital backs to get more of a 35mm
equivalent?

Thanks for any & all thoughts!

The sensors are there. Canon makes two full frame sensors: if you have
something like $3500 to $7000 for the body, that is. If you want MF,
get ready to shell out about 22K.

AFAIK, the only way to get large format in digital now comes with
scanning backs, and I'm not sure they're still available.

As it is, my 6 MP Pentax *istD routinely cranks out prints sharp
enough to use as 1-1/2 page spreads in magazines to blow up to 20x30.
That's generally good enough. I don't know what else you want to do
that a 35mm film camera will do that today's DSLRs won't do.

Old May 31st 07, 01:58 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Adrian Boliston

"=(8)" wrote in message

.... I figure we will also see a very big change in lenses as more of the
work is done at the sensor level....

I would have thought that lenses are the things we will see *least* change,
as they are just bit of glass the bend light rays and not really "high tech"
in the way that a body is. Most high end lenses seem to have been released
5-10 years ago, with mainly just consumer/kit lenses having been released
more recently.

Old May 31st 07, 05:29 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
HEMI-Powered

Adrian Boliston offered these thoughts for the group's
consideration of the matter at hand:

.... I figure we will also see a very big change in lenses as
more of the work is done at the sensor level....

I would have thought that lenses are the things we will see
*least* change, as they are just bit of glass the bend light
rays and not really "high tech" in the way that a body is.
Most high end lenses seem to have been released 5-10 years
ago, with mainly just consumer/kit lenses having been released
more recently.

Compared to the way that lenses were designed when I was using a
circa 1969 Nikon Photomic FTN, I would say that astounding advances
have been made using CAD technology. Zoom lenses were both
expensive and of pretty dismal quality in my film days, and today
even inexpensive P & S cameras have reasonably good lenses. Still,
there will always be a compromise across the broad spectrum of
design criteria for a new camera model, given that "the more mega
pixels the better" is so pervasive that it literally consumes the
marketing of all digitals these days, and I would think causes some
bizarre less-than-optimum compromises in lens, sensor, and image
processing hardware/software by camera makers in order to bring a
new model in at its cost and price targets.

--
HP, aka Jerry
Old May 31st 07, 09:18 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Ben Brugman

"Not Me" schreef in bericht
. ..
What's the future of digital slr cameras?

We've heard that megapixels aren't everything.

Will manfacturers start putting larger sensors on digital cameras? Will
this make digital slr's more similar to 35mm photos or do we need to look
to medium or large format cameras with digital backs to get more of a 35mm
equivalent?

Thanks for any & all thoughts!

By now the camera manufacturers have gone the small sensor direction.
More and more lenses don't fit the larger sensors anymore.

But the body thickness is still the same as for full frame camera's.

My guess would be that seeing the number of manufacturers left, more people
wanting smaller DSlr's, that the profit for the manufactures is more in the
'small' sensor sizes than in the full frame sensors. The group of people
demanding full frame or wishing for it, is small compared to the group
buying a DSlr.

So given the above I think the world is stuck on 1.5/1.6 factor crop sizes
for frames.

The advantages of a full frame sensor are only known to a small group of
enthousiastic photografers, this group does not have the power (or buying
power) to influence the manufacturers in producing more models with full
frame sensors.

Remember this is my guess. And as allways guesses can be WRONG or wrong.
Ben

Old May 31st 07, 11:02 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Scott W

On May 31, 2:58 am, "Adrian Boliston" wrote:
"=(8)" wrote in message

.... I figure we will also see a very big change in lenses as more of the
work is done at the sensor level....

I would have thought that lenses are the things we will see *least* change,
as they are just bit of glass the bend light rays and not really "high tech"
in the way that a body is. Most high end lenses seem to have been released
5-10 years ago, with mainly just consumer/kit lenses having been released
more recently.

The one change this is possible is to have the rear element of the
lens much closer to the sensor, since for a non-slr type camera you
don't need room for the mirror. In fact the Leica M8 is just such a
camera, but it turns out there are some problem with this approach.
For wide angle lenses there are some advantages of having less space
between the rear element and the sensor, for longer lenses there is
really no advantage.

Scott

Old June 1st 07, 06:29 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Ray Fischer

Not Me wrote:
What's the future of digital slr cameras?

Smarter. Better focusing, better exposure control. Lower noise.

We've heard that megapixels aren't everything.

Will manfacturers start putting larger sensors on digital cameras?

Nope. The cost of silicon is roughly constant, and big sensors will
always be expensive.

Will
this make digital slr's more similar to 35mm photos

They already are.

--
Ray Fischer