iodine bleach, selenium--cause unwanted split?

Old October 31st 06, 02:48 AM posted to rec.photo.darkroom
QueenAdelle via PhotoKB.com

Default iodine bleach, selenium--cause unwanted split?

I intend to use iodine bleach for general bleaching of prints, and also for
local bleaching. I was just wondering, since I will tone my prints in
selenium, if locally bleached areas will look different and out of place from
the rest of the image. Does bleaching cause unwanted split toning?

I am using Forte Warmtone FB.

Your help will be very much appreciated. Thanks.

--
+Shakti V.

Old October 31st 06, 04:38 AM posted to rec.photo.darkroom
Tom Phillips

"QueenAdelle via PhotoKB.com" wrote:

I intend to use iodine bleach for general bleaching of prints, and also for
local bleaching. I was just wondering, since I will tone my prints in
selenium, if locally bleached areas will look different and out of place from
the rest of the image. Does bleaching cause unwanted split toning?

I am using Forte Warmtone FB.

Your help will be very much appreciated. Thanks.

Don't know or use an iodine bleach, but selenium
itself split tones (i.e., tones more in the dense
areas/shadows than highlights/light areas.) The
cutting action of bleaching (again not sure about
iodine; I use farmers...)is reverse proportional
to print density (i.e., works quickly/first on the
highlights.) So, I would say it depends on the
degree of bleaching that takes place, which if
overdone can create some really strange contrast
relationships. Generally, you merely want to clear
the whites when bleaching, not reduce highlight
silver too much...