Life Cycle of a Photographer

Old October 15th 06, 01:20 AM posted to rec.photo.darkroom
Greg \_\

Default Life Cycle of a Photographer

I think the life cycle is all backwards.

You should start out dead; just get it right out of the way.

You wake up in a senior care facility and start feeling better
every day.

You get kicked out of there for being too healthy, go collect
your pension, then, when you start work, you get a gold watch on your
first day.

You work 40 years until you're young enough to enjoy your
retirement.

You drink alcohol, you party, you're "generally" promiscuous and
you get ready for High School.

After High School, you go to primary school, you become a kid,
you play or nap all day, you have no responsibilities.

You become a baby with no cares whatsoever.

Then, you spend your last 9 months floating peacefully with
luxuries like central heating, spa treatments, room service on tap,
larger living quarters everyday...and then...

you finish off as an orgasm!

It would have to be better that way ...

because getting old .. just plain sucks
--
Reality-Is finding that perfect picture
and never looking back.

www.gregblankphoto.com
Old October 15th 06, 01:47 AM posted to rec.photo.darkroom
David Nebenzahl

Greg "_" spake thus:

[...]

OK, OK, you sold me! Now tell me how to do this. What drug can I take
that will make all this happen?

--
"In 1964 Barry Goldwater declared: 'Elect me president, and I
population into concentration camps and turn the country into a

- Characterization (paraphrased) of the 1964 Goldwater/Johnson
presidential race by Professor Irwin Corey, "The World's Foremost
Authority."
Old October 16th 06, 12:54 PM posted to rec.photo.darkroom
Lloyd Erlick

On Sat, 14 Oct 2006 20:20:02 -0400, "Greg
\"_\"" wrote:

because getting old .. just plain sucks

October 16, 2006, from Lloyd Erlick,

I transplanted one lonely bit of garden
foliage for Natalie yesterday, which meant
digging one hole and lifting one plant with
dirt ball. It's now twenty-four hours later
and my back hurts (sucks), and I want the
whole world to know about it! And to top it
off it's two (2) degrees outside right now.

Actually, I think getting old complains ...

But, to veer back on-topic, the older I get
the older my file of pictures gets. The
people in the earlier ones are getting ore
and ,ore interested, too, -- as they age!

As I age, I find more and more good,
interesting, well-composed, and, in
particular, meaningful images in my file as
look through them. I think our ability as
visual artists increases as we age, due to
increased experience at life. It's quite
possible our best material is overlooked and
passed over because we ourselves are too
immature to recognize them at first.

I suppose depth comes with age, not just
death, eh?

regards,
--le
________________________________
Lloyd Erlick Portraits, Toronto.
website: www.heylloyd.com
telephone: 416-686-0326
email:
________________________________

Old October 18th 06, 10:17 AM posted to rec.photo.darkroom
Shakti V. via PhotoKB.com

It's funny because my partner and I had that conversation around two years
ago; about that what if, what if life is backwards, you grow young instead of
growing old. Who knows, may be in another planet outside our galaxy, life
backwards is a norm.

Well, may be, instead of thinking of being old, think of being ageless.

You know what, it could actually be a very good topic for a photo essay- -
the process of aging.

Old October 18th 06, 01:58 PM posted to rec.photo.darkroom
Nicholas O. Lindan

"Shakti V. via PhotoKB.com" u15922@uwe wrote

It's funny because my partner and I had that conversation
around two years ago; about that what if, what if life is
backwards, you grow young instead of growing old. Who
knows, maybe in another planet outside our galaxy, life
backwards is a norm.

If time ran backwards then thoughts would run backwards and
we wouldn't notice we are going in reverse, everything would
appear normal.

--
Nicholas O. Lindan, Cleveland, Ohio
http://www.nolindan.com/da/index.htm

Old October 18th 06, 02:36 PM posted to rec.photo.darkroom
Lloyd Erlick

On Wed, 18 Oct 2006 12:58:09 GMT, "Nicholas
O. Lindan" wrote:

we wouldn't notice we are going in reverse, everything would
appear normal.

October 18, 2006, from Lloyd Erlick,

So we could be bassakwards right now, and not
know it. Why are we able to have the
conviction that this is the case, and that
things are very wrong??

regards,
--le

Old October 18th 06, 03:07 PM posted to rec.photo.darkroom
Nicholas O. Lindan

"Lloyd Erlick" Lloyd at @the-wire. dot com wrote
"Nicholas O. Lindan" wrote:

We wouldn't notice we are going in reverse, everything would
appear normal.

So we could be bassakwards right now, and not
know it. Why are we able to have the
conviction that this is [not?] the case

It does seem to be a problem imaging that consciousness
can run backwards. Or that light _does_ come from the
eyes and illuminate the scene [I think someone claimed
that, Aristotle?].

I think it all means time _can't_ run backwards, no matter
which way it runs, it is running forward.

... things are very wrong??

Very right. Very right that things are very wrong, almost
to the point where it is right to be wrong and wrong is
right.

Ah, sophomore year, a case of beer ...

Old October 18th 06, 04:06 PM posted to rec.photo.darkroom

Nicholas O. Lindan wrote:

I think it all means time _can't_ run backwards, no matter
which way it runs, it is running forward.

Time/space is being created (the universe is expanding) at the speed of
light (c), therefore nothing can go faster than the speed at which space is
being created. The converse is true - nothing can travel -c so the past is
inaccessible... but read on.

Ah, sophomore year, a case of beer ...

There might be another space/time (speaking of Plato) that is accessible by
certain living things - specifically at the nanotubes which are part of the
cytoskeleton. There is a theory that the inner conformation of the nanotube
is small enough to sustain a quantum state which translates to the
nanotube's outer elements, which in turn communicate to the biomechanism. So
it seems possible that amidst the billions of nanotubules acting to the
billions of neurons might be a key to "mind" or consciousness. Even the
single-cell omeba which has no brain, no nervous system whatsoever has
intelligent behavior, a primitive intelligence, via the nanotubules.

Now... to lighten up a bit... is not B&W film made with gelatin? Gelatin
cells have the above ... but they are all squashed up and dead. Darn. I
thought I had an argument for film vs. digital.

--
Use the four-letter F-word without shame. F I L M !
j (pico)

Old October 18th 06, 06:40 PM posted to rec.photo.darkroom
David Nebenzahl

Nicholas O. Lindan spake thus:

"Shakti V. via PhotoKB.com" u15922@uwe wrote

It's funny because my partner and I had that conversation
around two years ago; about that what if, what if life is
backwards, you grow young instead of growing old. Who
knows, maybe in another planet outside our galaxy, life
backwards is a norm.

If time ran backwards then thoughts would run backwards and
we wouldn't notice we are going in reverse, everything would
appear normal.

..os kniht t'nod I ?esrevinu "rorrim" siht ni meht dnatsrednu ot elba eb
ew dluow tuB

you're curious but don't really care about the quality of your knowledge.

- Matthew White's WikiWatch (http://users.erols.com/mwhite28/wikiwoo.htm)
Old October 18th 06, 07:24 PM posted to rec.photo.darkroom
Nicholas O. Lindan

"j" wrote

There might be another space/time (speaking of Plato) that is accessible
by certain living things - specifically at the nanotubes which are part of
the cytoskeleton. There is a theory that the inner conformation of the
nanotube is small enough to sustain a quantum state which translates to
the nanotube's outer elements, which in turn communicate to the
biomechanism.

You have read Penrose, I see. It's the best theory I've seen of how the
mind works but I think the whole 'nanotube' thing is just overcomplication.
Plain old Brownian motion will do. Proteins just wander around until
they bump into something and ask "Hey, you wanna hook up?" The where and
the when of it are quite at random. [Yeah, yeah, Van der Waals, polar
attraction and all that other stuff aside]

It seems possible that amidst the billions of nanotubules acting to the
billions of neurons might be a key to "mind" or consciousness. Even the
single-cell omeba which has no brain, no nervous system whatsoever has
intelligent behavior, a primitive intelligence, via the nanotubules.

The source of all randomness is quantum events, the "seething quantum
vacuum" of pop-sci fame, and if the quanta pop in and out of our
universe they must be someplace else when they aren't here.
It is not hard to believe that whatever is responsible for
mind isn't all -here- and there is some part that is in a
-there- that is everywhere but can't be pointed to. Viz.
'Flatland'.

Given that, any deterministic system, as say a computer and
software, is the farthest thing from 'intelligent' that can
ever be. May as well wait for a book's characters to pop
into existence. So much for Artificial Intelligence.

Knowledge, though useful, is dead. Photos are dead too, for that
matter. Until a fungus attacks the gelatin and possibly creates something
interesting that has never been before. Aha! Film -IS- better:
just need add more nutrients to the gelatin. Maybe UC is right
and it isn't art unless it 'lives'?