Stepping Up to DSLR - Canon 350D

Old October 3rd 06, 10:20 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
JPH

Default Stepping Up to DSLR - Canon 350D

Hello
I am considering purchasing a DSLR camera and have been looking at the
Canon 350D. My question is really two-fold:

1) Is it a good entry level DSLR for a noob
2) Should I master all aspects of Manual settings before I take the
step up from Compact?

I have a Sony DSC - p100 5MP compact and I get some fair results from
it but I havent really mastered the manual settings yet.

I want to make the step up because the idea of building a system really
appeals to me so that i can take better landscape and macro shots but I
don't know whether I would be out of my depth.

Thanks in advance

John

Old October 3rd 06, 10:35 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
[email protected]

JPH wrote:
Hello
I am considering purchasing a DSLR camera and have been looking at the
Canon 350D. My question is really two-fold:

The latest model is the 400D. 10 Megapixels instead of 8 MP, 9-pt
autofocus instead of 7, 2.5" LCD instead of 1.8", anti dust features,
and double buffer size. Unless you are buying a 2nd hand camera, the
price of the 400d is only marginally higher than the 350d. I would
strongly advise against the older model at this point.

Old October 3rd 06, 11:30 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Dr Hfuhruhurr

JPH wrote:

Hello
I am considering purchasing a DSLR camera and have been looking at the
Canon 350D. My question is really two-fold:

1) Is it a good entry level DSLR for a noob
2) Should I master all aspects of Manual settings before I take the
step up from Compact?

I have a Sony DSC - p100 5MP compact and I get some fair results from
it but I havent really mastered the manual settings yet.

I want to make the step up because the idea of building a system really
appeals to me so that i can take better landscape and macro shots but I
don't know whether I would be out of my depth.

Thanks in advance

John

Hi John

I took a similar step a few month ago from a Sony DSC (3.2 Mp) to a
Nikon D50.
I wouldn't worry about the manual settings on the Sony as 'driving' a
DSLR is a different kettle of fish entirely. WHen I got my D50 I
started out using the 'Auto' feature, which I guess is just a glorifies
P&S mode. as I've moved on with my picture taking and having wanted to
experiment more I moved to Aperture priority which give much of the
control i'd like when taking shots. Occasionaly when time permits I'll
switch to full manual (apart from the focus) to experiment further. A
lot of trial and error ensues but I find this the best way to learn the
different aspects of shooting scenery, sports, wildlife etc.

Go for it and you won't be disappointed.
As has been mentioned the 400D now effectively replaces the 350D and
looks to be a bit of a bargain.

Doc

Old October 3rd 06, 12:26 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Bill

"JPH" wrote in message
ups.com...
Hello
I am considering purchasing a DSLR camera and have been looking at
the
Canon 350D. My question is really two-fold:

1) Is it a good entry level DSLR for a noob

Yes, as is the newer Canon 400D, Nikon D50, D80, etc. They all have
full auto modes as well as various other modes that assist you until
you're confident to use the shutter and aperture modes effectively.

2) Should I master all aspects of Manual settings before I take the
step up from Compact?

If you want to move to DSLR, then you might as well learn with the
camera you'll be using. The abilities of the Sony P&S is likely
limited and there will be more to learn with the DSLR.

But before you decide on a camera, go to a store and have a look at
several other makes and models. How the camera feels in your hands can
be very important. Ergonomic layout of the controls and ease of use
matters.

Old October 3rd 06, 02:14 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
JPH

Thank you all very much for your advice.

I think a trip to Jessops will be happening withing the next few weeks.
Especially since they price match with Amazon

Best Wishes

John

Old October 3rd 06, 02:25 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
DB

Get yourself down to the neasest John Lewis....have a play with all the
models you like....

Then buy them on the net.....like I did --lol

Dave

ups.com...

Old October 3rd 06, 05:59 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
bmoag

This is the best advice you will get:
Get whatever dSLR you prefer.
Get Adobe Elements or Photoshop.
Get a reasonable printer.
Get a monitor calibrating device.
Mastering the basics of Elements/Photoshop and color management will
improve your final images more than the differences you will see in a
6/8/10mp sensor or in any imaginary differences between camera brands.

Old October 3rd 06, 07:12 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Jon

You mentioned mastering the basics of photo editing software, but didn't
mention mastering the camera's controls.

I would get a good book of photography first myself, in order to understand
all the basic fundamentals of photography.

Old October 3rd 06, 07:36 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
-=Rob

"bmoag" wrote in message
This is the best advice you will get:
Get whatever dSLR you prefer.
Get Adobe Elements or Photoshop.
Get a reasonable printer.
Get a monitor calibrating device.
Mastering the basics of Elements/Photoshop and color management will
improve your final images more than the differences you will see in a
6/8/10mp sensor or in any imaginary differences between camera brands.

AND.........work in RAW !!

-=Rob
Old October 3rd 06, 08:12 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Protoncek \(ex.SleeperMan\)

"bmoag" wrote in message
This is the best advice you will get:
Get whatever dSLR you prefer.
Get Adobe Elements or Photoshop.
Get a reasonable printer.
Get a monitor calibrating device.

speaking of which...would you consider calibrator to be an important for
home/amateur user? (have 30D)
say, Pantone Spyder2 or similar?