Impossible to rationally pick a winner? (10 meg DSLRS)

Old September 25th 06, 04:19 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
RichA

Default Impossible to rationally pick a winner? (10 meg DSLRS)

The current crop of 10 meg DSLRs. Olympus, Canon, Sony, Nikon, Pentax
and Samsung.
Lets say you had no irrational fealty to a specific brand. Given the
specs and noting that performance is very similar to one another (from
the ones they've tested) could you pick one solely based on it's
feature set and the importance of those features for you?
Would the system choice (lenses, flashes, etc) make any difference to
you over and above the camera feature set?

Old September 25th 06, 05:09 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
MarkČ

RichA wrote:
The current crop of 10 meg DSLRs. Olympus, Canon, Sony, Nikon, Pentax
and Samsung.
Lets say you had no irrational fealty to a specific brand. Given the
specs and noting that performance is very similar to one another (from
the ones they've tested) could you pick one solely based on it's
feature set and the importance of those features for you?
Would the system choice (lenses, flashes, etc) make any difference to
you over and above the camera feature set?

Perhaps the question should be (to you, Rich):

Are you finally going to buy your first DSLR?

-And if so, which one?

www.pbase.com/markuson

Old September 25th 06, 07:50 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Jeff R.

"RichA" wrote in message
ups.com...
The current crop of 10 meg DSLRs. Olympus, Canon, Sony, Nikon, Pentax
and Samsung.
Lets say you had no irrational fealty to a specific brand. Given the
specs and noting that performance is very similar to one another (from
the ones they've tested) could you pick one solely based on it's
feature set and the importance of those features for you?
Would the system choice (lenses, flashes, etc) make any difference to
you over and above the camera feature set?

They are all so similar that the "feel" would be much more important than
the actual spec list.

That - and the menu list; that is, the logical layout of the menus and the
ease with which various options could be selected easily and quickly.

The actual specs and features? Too close to matter. Does a Ford get you to
work better than a GM?

--
Jeff R.

Old September 25th 06, 12:50 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Pete D

"RichA" wrote in message
ups.com...
The current crop of 10 meg DSLRs. Olympus, Canon, Sony, Nikon, Pentax
and Samsung.
Lets say you had no irrational fealty to a specific brand. Given the
specs and noting that performance is very similar to one another (from
the ones they've tested) could you pick one solely based on it's
feature set and the importance of those features for you?
Would the system choice (lenses, flashes, etc) make any difference to
you over and above the camera feature set?

Of course you would never do that Rich, it would just be a stupid thing to
do. You would actually go and use all the cameras and choose the one that
fitted you!!

Of course the real answer may be that you will buy what your mate has.

Old September 25th 06, 09:10 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Helen

"RichA" wrote in message
ups.com...
the ones they've tested) could you pick one solely based on it's
feature set and the importance of those features for you?

That would be its, not it's, Richie boy, as I've told you many times. Don't
you listen?

Anyway, why do you ask? Is it because you know you will never ever progress
beyond the Walmart 99c throwaway?

Old September 25th 06, 10:34 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
RichA

On Mon, 25 Sep 2006 21:10:51 +0100, "Helen"
wrote:

"RichA" wrote in message
oups.com...
the ones they've tested) could you pick one solely based on it's
feature set and the importance of those features for you?

That would be its, not it's, Richie boy, as I've told you many times. Don't
you listen?

Anyway, why do you ask? Is it because you know you will never ever progress
beyond the Walmart 99c throwaway?

So Olympus is now $0.99 throw away gear?
Still, any picture is better than no pictures, as you should well
know.
Old September 25th 06, 10:34 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
RichA

On Sun, 24 Sep 2006 21:09:48 -0700, "MarkČ" mjmorgan(lowest even
number wrote:

RichA wrote:
The current crop of 10 meg DSLRs. Olympus, Canon, Sony, Nikon, Pentax
and Samsung.
Lets say you had no irrational fealty to a specific brand. Given the
specs and noting that performance is very similar to one another (from
the ones they've tested) could you pick one solely based on it's
feature set and the importance of those features for you?
Would the system choice (lenses, flashes, etc) make any difference to
you over and above the camera feature set?

Perhaps the question should be (to you, Rich):

Are you finally going to buy your first DSLR?

-And if so, which one?

i think my question indicated the difficulty there.
Old September 25th 06, 10:43 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Helen

wrote:

Anyway, why do you ask? Is it because you know you will never ever
progress
beyond the Walmart 99c throwaway?

So Olympus is now $0.99 throw away gear?

As good as, in my opinion.

Still, any picture is better than no pictures, as you should well
know.

I wouldn't know. I made a reasonable living as an employed NHS medical
photographer, now I'm making an excellent living as a freelance pro. Your
trouble is that you can only believe in what you can see or touch or if it's
made of plastic. I have no website, so you assume I have no pictures.
Wrong. Want a ride in my Merc S500? No, that's technology which is so far
removed from your narrow view of the world that it's indistinguishable from
magic.

Old September 26th 06, 12:32 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
MarkČ

number wrote:

RichA wrote:
The current crop of 10 meg DSLRs. Olympus, Canon, Sony, Nikon,
Pentax and Samsung.
Lets say you had no irrational fealty to a specific brand. Given
the specs and noting that performance is very similar to one
another (from the ones they've tested) could you pick one solely
based on it's feature set and the importance of those features for
you?
Would the system choice (lenses, flashes, etc) make any difference
to you over and above the camera feature set?

Perhaps the question should be (to you, Rich):

Are you finally going to buy your first DSLR?

-And if so, which one?

i think my question indicated the difficulty there.

Do you have any 35mm lenses (of a particular brand)?
If not, then I think your best bet will be sticking with either Canon or
Nikon...mainly because they offer far more selection within their systems as
a whole. Olympus, Samsung and Sony would be scratched off of my list
immediately...

www.pbase.com/markuson

Old September 26th 06, 12:33 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
MarkČ

wrote:

Anyway, why do you ask? Is it because you know you will never ever
progress
beyond the Walmart 99c throwaway?

So Olympus is now $0.99 throw away gear?

As good as, in my opinion.

Still, any picture is better than no pictures, as you should well
know.

I wouldn't know. I made a reasonable living as an employed NHS
medical photographer, now I'm making an excellent living as a
freelance pro. Your trouble is that you can only believe in what you
can see or touch or if it's made of plastic. I have no website, so
you assume I have no pictures. Wrong. Want a ride in my Merc S500?

It's bad form to try and impress with your vehicle, Helen. -Even if it's
Rich...

www.pbase.com/markuson