Just got new 70-300 Canon IS lens!

Old September 23rd 06, 08:37 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Protoncek \(ex.SleeperMan\)

Default Just got new 70-300 Canon IS lens!

And it works like a champ! That IS is even better as expected. When i got it
it was almost dark, so i quickly shot these two shots, both at 1/8 sec, one
with, one without IS:

http://www.protoncek.com/misc/0009.JPG
http://www.protoncek.com/misc/0010.JPG

stuff really works perfectly! I mean, it's perfect for hand-shooting with
such tele-zoom, as i will mostly do.

Old September 23rd 06, 09:31 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Wayne J. Cosshall

Protoncek (ex.SleeperMan) wrote:
And it works like a champ! That IS is even better as expected. When i got it
it was almost dark, so i quickly shot these two shots, both at 1/8 sec, one
with, one without IS:

http://www.protoncek.com/misc/0009.JPG
http://www.protoncek.com/misc/0010.JPG

stuff really works perfectly! I mean, it's perfect for hand-shooting with
such tele-zoom, as i will mostly do.

Congrats. A new lens is a great source of fun and new shooting
possibilities.

Cheers,

Wayne

--
Wayne J. Cosshall

Old September 23rd 06, 05:03 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Alan Browne

Protoncek (ex.SleeperMan) wrote:
And it works like a champ! That IS is even better as expected. When i got it
it was almost dark, so i quickly shot these two shots, both at 1/8 sec, one
with, one without IS:

http://www.protoncek.com/misc/0009.JPG
http://www.protoncek.com/misc/0010.JPG

Looks to me like you exagerated the non-IS movement.

Old September 23rd 06, 05:18 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Slack

On Sat, 23 Sep 2006 09:03:45 -0700, Alan Browne
wrote:

Protoncek (ex.SleeperMan) wrote:
And it works like a champ! That IS is even better as expected. When i
got it it was almost dark, so i quickly shot these two shots, both at
1/8 sec, one with, one without IS:
http://www.protoncek.com/misc/0009.JPG
http://www.protoncek.com/misc/0010.JPG

Looks to me like you exagerated the non-IS movement.

I was goig to ask if he had Parkinson's
--
Slack
Old September 23rd 06, 05:31 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Protoncek \(ex.SleeperMan\)

newsp.tgb99gfhntnj34@slacker...
wrote:

Protoncek (ex.SleeperMan) wrote:
And it works like a champ! That IS is even better as expected. When i
got it it was almost dark, so i quickly shot these two shots, both at
1/8 sec, one with, one without IS:
http://www.protoncek.com/misc/0009.JPG
http://www.protoncek.com/misc/0010.JPG

Looks to me like you exagerated the non-IS movement.

I was goig to ask if he had Parkinson's
--
Slack

it was a few first minutes with new lens (the excitement made it's job), so,
i guess, yep, i did have parkinson's...my hands were shaking like i've had
one...but, then again, IS showed what it can do to a man with such shaking
hands... Note that shots were made with 1/8 sec, so it's pretty slow...
I'll do a couple of test shots (more realistic ones, i hope) later on and
put them to my web site...should be on tomorrow, i hope. But, as i see, it
is the right thing for hand-held shooting...

Old September 23rd 06, 06:06 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Slack

wrote:

[...]

Well, I'm not doubting a good performance increase from an IS lens, I have
the 17-85, just not /that/ much.

Anyway, enjoy the 70-300, I've heard good comments about it.
--
Slack
Old September 23rd 06, 06:26 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Protoncek \(ex.SleeperMan\)

newsp.tgccgvfxntnj34@slacker...

wrote:

[...]

i, too have 17-85 IS lens. And, as you said, difference isn't that big, but
it's because it doesn't have that big zoom. With 70-300 lens using at 70 or
so IS isn't that obvious. But when increasing zoom, it comes into action.
And since i won't have tripod, i said that it's useless to have 70-200 f4 L
at appr. similar price and with shaky (=useless) shots and went to this one
instead. Comments and reviews are only good, when taking into account the
price of the lens. In short, a good value for money.

Old September 26th 06, 05:26 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
DHB

On 23 Sep 2006 19:26:11 +0200, "Protoncek \(ex.SleeperMan\)"
wrote:

CUT

i, too have 17-85 IS lens. And, as you said, difference isn't that big, but
it's because it doesn't have that big zoom. With 70-300 lens using at 70 or
so IS isn't that obvious. But when increasing zoom, it comes into action.
And since i won't have tripod, i said that it's useless to have 70-200 f4 L
at appr. similar price and with shaky (=useless) shots and went to this one
instead. Comments and reviews are only good, when taking into account the
price of the lens. In short, a good value for money.

Congratulations,
Canon's EF 70-300mm f4-5.6 IS USM is a very
good lens for the money. As you probably already know *IS/VR* lenses
can be addictive. If you look back to (9/12/2006?), you will see a
long thread about this lens. In that thread it explains how many of
the early production lenses had a problem that mostly presented it
'self while in portrait orientation, with or without *IS* on.

Much to Canon's credit, they acknowledged the problem & soon
realized that they needed the lens back to repair it. So they offered
the repair free to the effected lenses which they identified via
serial #.

Mine was 1 of them so I contacted Canon & was soon E-Mailed a
pre-paid UPS label, Canon's NJ USA Service Center promptly repaired &
sent it back via Fed-EX. All in less than a week, *including transit
time*, quite impressive Customer Service. Speed of repair was in part
expedited by the fact that most of the interior of the lens was
apparently replaced as a unit or assembly, thus not likely an
inexpensive repair for Canon but the result was a quality & very fast
repair & turn around.

That said, I too have both the EF-S 17-85MM f4-5.6 IS USM &
the EF 70-300mm f4-5.6 IS USM lenses. Just between these 2 lenses
there is a large focal length coverage with only a little overlap. An
effective 27.2-480mm on a 1.6x crop factored DSLR. This is a lot of
coverage for just 2 lenses of relatively modest price & good quality.
No they are not Canon "L" glass lenses but IMHO they certainly are
good quality lenses for their price.

For the record, I don't yet own any Canon "L" glass lenses, so
"I" can't compare them 1st hand. Also I am & will remain just an
amateur photographer now hopelessly addicted to digital photography in
many of it's forms.

As nice as *IS/VR* zoom lenses can be, don't overlook fixed
focal length lenses. IMHO Canon's EF 50mm f1.8 II @ about $75 USD, is
a great low light lens of exceptional optical quality for it's very
modest price. This lens is therefore always in my camera bag no
matter what other lenses I also pack. Also I have been very impressed
with the Canon EF 100mm f2 USM lens.

Sorry if I sound like a Canon sale's person, I am not but I am
impressed with many of their photographic products. Best of luck with
your new lens, it should be a lot of fun. My only criticism of the EF
70-300mm f4-5.6 IS USM is the fact that the front lens element rotates
making it harder to use a C-PL filter with it & the fact that the
f-stop varies from f4-5.6 as 1 zooms toward 300mm.

This is why I am keeping my eye on Canon's new EF 70-200mm
f4L IS USM which does not have these issues. On the other hand that's
a lot of money for me to spend on just 1 lens. It certainly would be
nice for certain activities so I'll start saving for it just in case!

Respectfully, DHB

to the American public."--Theodore Roosevelt, May 7, 1918