Any future for Pentax?

Old September 13th 06, 07:04 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
jean

Default Any future for Pentax?

I have looked at the Pentax DSLR line and I see a number of bodies (ist...)
but the choice of lenses seem very limited with little or no professional
lenses. I want to know if it is worth it buying a DSLR for someone who has
only a couple of lenses (one Sigma short zoom and the other the 75-300
Pentax zoom). None of the lenses look like they would be a factor in a
decision to stay with Pentax.

Stay with Pentax or go for one of the big two?

Jean

Old September 13th 06, 07:58 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
John Francis

In article ,
jean wrote:
I have looked at the Pentax DSLR line and I see a number of bodies (ist...)
but the choice of lenses seem very limited with little or no professional
lenses.

What's a professional lens? If you mean "must have USM", then there
are no Pentax lenses with that at present (although the 16-50/f2.8 and
the 50-135/f2.8 due out later this year are expected to introduce it).
If, however, you just mean "must have good-quality glass", then Pentax
have more than enough. Apart from the two lenses mentioned above,
there are the "Limited" lenses (the older FA 31mm, 43mm and 77mm, and
the newer DA 21mm and 70mm), the DA 14mm, the 16-45, and don't forget
the old FA 28-70/f2.8, 80-200/f2.8, 250-600/f5.6 & the 200mm & 300mm
f2.8 lenses, any one of which is optically up to any competitors.
Next year we also expect to see a 60-250/f4, a new 200, and a 300/4

You also seem to have missed the announcement of the new K10D body.

Old September 13th 06, 07:59 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Paul Mitchum

jean wrote:

I have looked at the Pentax DSLR line and I see a number of bodies (ist...)
but the choice of lenses seem very limited with little or no professional
lenses. I want to know if it is worth it buying a DSLR for someone who has
only a couple of lenses (one Sigma short zoom and the other the 75-300
Pentax zoom). None of the lenses look like they would be a factor in a
decision to stay with Pentax.

Stay with Pentax or go for one of the big two?

It. All. Depends. :-)

You can't look at Pentax lenses the way you look at other ones. Their
marketing is different from Canon and Nikon. The Limiteds and green
stars are very excellent, and most of the rest are very good. Whether
they're 'professional' or not depends on how you end up using them, not
how they're marketed. If you really want to go pro, you might look at
the full-frame offerings from Nikon and Canon, and then when the sticker
shock wears off, you can consider the Pentax again. :-)
Old September 13th 06, 09:51 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
jean

I did not want to slam the product, I looked at B&H and Adorama and saw only
a few lenses on the first site and more on the second but nothing past 300mm
by Pentax. Reading more I found the Pentax line to be quite good. I did
read about the K10D and the built in IS is a strong selling point.

Jean

Old September 13th 06, 09:55 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
jean

Indeed, the price of Pentax cameras is lower than the big two, another
factor leading one to beleive they are dumping the product. Anyway, I
looked deeper and the new K10D has features the big two do not have, so it
could be a camera to consider.

Jean

Old September 13th 06, 10:03 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Paul Mitchum

jean wrote:

Indeed, the price of Pentax cameras is lower than the big two, another
factor leading one to beleive they are dumping the product. Anyway, I
looked deeper and the new K10D has features the big two do not have, so it
could be a camera to consider.

Not 'dumping the product' but getting you hooked on the lens line. The
camera's cheap, the lenses aren't as cheap as they could be, but they're
generally very good.

That's the game with all the SLR makers. They want you to get invested
in their product line to the exclusion of others.

--
I have been thinking that I would make a proposition to my Republican
friends... that if they will stop telling lies about the Democrats, we
Old September 14th 06, 12:51 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
frederick

Paul Mitchum wrote:
If you really want to go pro, you might look at
the full-frame offerings from Nikon and Canon, and then when the sticker
shock wears off, you can consider the Pentax again. :-)

Disagree slightly with that. If you want sticker shock, look at pro
line lenses from Olympus or KM. Pentax is more consistent with Nikon
and Canon prices.
Old September 14th 06, 03:52 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
jean

A Sigma camera body is less expensive than a Canon or Nikon, but I would not
want to buy a Sigma based solely on saving a few $ on the body when I know
for sure the lens line is somewhat limited and (to me) less of a quality
offering than either Canon or Nikon.

Old September 14th 06, 04:39 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
default

"Paul Mitchum" wrote in message
Whether
they're 'professional' or not depends on how you end up using them, not
how they're marketed. If you really want to go pro, you might look at
the full-frame offerings from Nikon and Canon, and then when the sticker
shock wears off, you can consider the Pentax again. :-)

Which Nikon DSLR has full frame?