Canon 70-300 IS USM lens availability

Old September 12th 06, 09:43 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Doug McDonald

Default Canon 70-300 IS USM lens availability

I'm wanting the Canon 70-300mm IS USM EF lens for my new 30D.

I have to mail order, since no one in our town sells lenses.

The big New Work mail order houses like B&H and Adorama
list them as back ordered, at stupefyingly low prices.
Since I needed some other junk stuff for my new camera, and
only Adorama had the complete list of what I wanted, I
ordered one from them three weeks ago. Everything else came in.

I notice that Ritz is showing them in stock. I am leery of
calling any of these places and asking "is it really in" or
"when is it coming" since I have gotten lies in the past.

Should I expect Adorama to eventually send me the lens, or
should I pay $90 more to Ritz in the hope (expectation???)
that they actually have on in stock. Another month would not
be a problem to switch my order ... unless of course Ritz is
lying or runs out by then.

What to do?

Doug Mcdonald
Old September 13th 06, 12:13 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
AaronW

Doug McDonald wrote:
[...]

Even if they really have it, it would be the old one. I'd wait for
Canon to make the new one and then everywhere would have it.

http://digitcamera.tripod.com/#slr

Old September 13th 06, 12:56 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Doug McDonald

AaronW wrote:
Doug McDonald wrote:
I'm wanting the Canon 70-300mm IS USM EF lens for my new 30D.

Even if they really have it, it would be the old one. I'd wait for
Canon to make the new one and then everywhere would have it.

http://digitcamera.tripod.com/#slr

What do you mean? The lens I am talking about is a quite new
one, with one ED glass element. It is f/4-5.6 . It seems to
be highly regarded for a non-L lens.

It is not the lens with the same description but with "DO"
added, a lens not so well regarded.

Doug McDonald
Old September 13th 06, 03:31 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Holley

"Doug McDonald" wrote in message
AaronW wrote:
Doug McDonald wrote:
I'm wanting the Canon 70-300mm IS USM EF lens for my new 30D.

Even if they really have it, it would be the old one. I'd wait for
Canon to make the new one and then everywhere would have it.

http://digitcamera.tripod.com/#slr

What do you mean? The lens I am talking about is a quite new one, with one
ED glass element. It is f/4-5.6 . It seems to be highly regarded for a
non-L lens.

It is not the lens with the same description but with "DO" added, a lens
not so well regarded.

Doug McDonald

There is a problem with this lens, if the third digit of the serial number
is 0 or 1. Poor resolution at the edge of the frame at the 300mm setting if
the camera is held vertically. They have been recalled. I suspect that Canon
stopped production / shipment of this lens when the problem was discovered,
as there wasn't an immediate fix. There is a fix now, and I suspect the lens
should be back on the shelves soon. (soon being a relative term)

I have one of the lenses that was recalled, and sent it to Canon for the
repair last week. They sent an email saying it should be a 5 to 7 day turn
around.

I have a 30D and love this lens, particularly the IS function. The only
things I don't like about it are the rotating front lens element (makes UV
filter use a challenge), and there is not enough friction (IMHO) in the zoom
mechanism. (if the camera is pointed down, and the zoom lock is off, you get
to take about 5 steps before the lens is at full zoom.) Neither item is a
deal breaker, just something you have to get accustomed to.

If I were doing it now, I'd wait for one of the new production lenses.

Holley

Old September 13th 06, 01:57 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Doug McDonald

AaronW wrote:
Doug McDonald wrote:
I'm wanting the Canon 70-300mm IS USM EF lens for my new 30D.

There is a problem with this lens, if the third digit of the serial number
is 0 or 1. Poor resolution at the edge of the frame at the 300mm setting if
the camera is held vertically.

I see. Interesting! And that would be a big deal for me, as
a substantial fraction of my telephoto shots are vertical
(more than half).

Doug McDonald
Old September 13th 06, 04:44 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
default

Holley wrote:
There is a problem with this lens, if the third digit of the serial
number is 0 or 1. Poor resolution at the edge of the frame at the 300mm
setting if the camera is held vertically.

I see. Interesting! And that would be a big deal for me, as
a substantial fraction of my telephoto shots are vertical
(more than half).

Mine was one of the affected models. It is presently in at Canon for
repair. It was a nice sharp lens when horizontal, but vertical was quite
noticeably softer at 300mm and not just at the edges. The problem appeared
with the IS on and off, manual and auto focus. Strange problem to occur but
it was very repeatable. I used a strong tripod, mirror lockup, and remote
release and still the pictures speak for themselves that something is wrong
with the lens when you turn the image to portrait mode.

I hope that when I get the lens back that it will be good in both
orientations. Other people have been pleased with the repair and apparently
the zoom creep issue was addressed as well.

Old September 13th 06, 04:59 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Doug McDonald

default wrote:

There is a problem with this lens,

I hope that when I get the lens back that it will be good in both
orientations. Other people have been pleased with the repair and apparently
the zoom creep issue was addressed as well.

Well. It looks like this lens is a winner, if fixed. I shall
simply wait for a shipment to arrive at the company I
ordered it from. I hope this is before Christmas.

I'm glad I asked.

Doug McDonald
Old September 13th 06, 07:17 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
DHB

On Tue, 12 Sep 2006 21:31:31 -0500, "Holley"
wrote:

"Holley wrote:

There is a problem with this lens, if the third digit of the serial number
is 0 or 1. Poor resolution at the edge of the frame at the 300mm setting if
the camera is held vertically. They have been recalled.

Thanks for the info. it certainly explains the intermittent
problems I have been have with my lens, 1st with on my 300D & then
later on my 30D. It's a great overall lens especially because of it's
reasonable cost relative to it's performance. I remember when the
problem was 1st discovered but got busy & forgot all about it until
your post.

I suspect that Canon stopped production / shipment of this lens when
the problem was discovered, as there wasn't an immediate fix. There
is a fix now, and I suspect the lens should be back on the shelves soon.
(soon being a relative term)

I have one of the lenses that was recalled, and sent it to Canon for the
repair last week. They sent an email saying it should be a 5 to 7 day turn
around.

Not too concerned with the turn around time but I just hope
they do a good job properly correcting the problem & don't introduce a
new 1 in the process.

I have a 30D and love this lens, particularly the IS function. The only
things I don't like about it are the rotating front lens element (makes UV
filter use a challenge),

I think you meant to type "PL filter" & I completely agree but
I think this was a necessary tradeoff they had to make in order to
keep the price & size down.

and there is not enough friction (IMHO) in the zoom mechanism.

Here too was are in agreement but as I recall this lens also
does not employ a ring type USM drive which is why it does not have
"full-time Manual Focus (FT-M)". So too much friction would might
slow it's focusing speed down &/or require a larger USM motor & more
power to drive it.

(if the camera is pointed down, and the zoom lock is off, you get
to take about 5 steps before the lens is at full zoom.) Neither item is a
deal breaker, just something you have to get accustomed to.

Thankfully they added the retracted position lock, now if I
could just *always* remember to switch it off before I attempt to
adjust the zoom!

If I were doing it now, I'd wait for one of the new production lenses.

Holley

Thanks again for the information. At the moment I am hoping
Santa (me) will buy me a EF 70-200mm f/4L IS USM. This would be my
1st piece of "L" glass. Up till now I could not justify the "L" glass
but am now giving it serious consideration for use @ selected special
events where top optical quality may prove worth the investment.

Do you have any thoughts on this lens? Yes I know it's not
available yet but I am talking figuratively & most of my use of it
would likely be for candid photography of people, weddings, sporting
events & the like. The only thing I don't like is that it duplicates
the 1st 1/2+ of the zoom range of my 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM. However
if I understand it correctly, it's a "constant f4" across the entire
zoom range & has a "non-rotating" front element, thus no more PL
filter difficulties.

Thanks in advance for any/all constructive opinions.

Respectfully, DHB

to the American public."--Theodore Roosevelt, May 7, 1918
Old September 13th 06, 07:44 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Prometheus

In article . com,
AaronW writes

----Cut-----------
Even if they really have it, it would be the old one. I'd wait for
Canon to make the new one and then everywhere would have it.

How do you get that idea, Canon recalled all the lenses with the fault.

--
Ian G8ILZ
Old September 13th 06, 08:48 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Holley

"DHB" wrote in message
On Tue, 12 Sep 2006 21:31:31 -0500, "Holley"
wrote:

snip
Not too concerned with the turn around time but I just hope
they do a good job properly correcting the problem & don't introduce a
new 1 in the process.

Well, if Fedex comes through on time, I should be able to provide
information on that tomorrow, as I just got an email with a tracking number.
The *We got it* message came in Monday, so that's a two day in house
turnaround. I was surprised to see they will need a signature to deliver.

snip
I think you meant to type "PL filter" & I completely agree but
I think this was a necessary tradeoff they had to make in order to
keep the price & size down.

Yup.

snip
Thankfully they added the retracted position lock, now if I
could just *always* remember to switch it off before I attempt to
adjust the zoom!

Glad to see I'm not the only one in that situation.

snip
Thanks again for the information. At the moment I am hoping
Santa (me) will buy me a EF 70-200mm f/4L IS USM. This would be my
1st piece of "L" glass. Up till now I could not justify the "L" glass
but am now giving it serious consideration for use @ selected special
events where top optical quality may prove worth the investment.

My hobiest budget doesn't let me play in the L glass league. I would have
liked to have seen an aperture in the f2.8 neighborhood, but it would have
been quite a bit heaver, both physically and monitarily. I mostly shoot
wildlife, which is why I would want a faster lens.

to the American public."--Theodore Roosevelt, May 7, 1918

Holley