55mm 'pinch' type len caps?

Old August 8th 06, 12:41 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
T i m

Default 55mm 'pinch' type len caps?

Hi All,

My daughter tried a mates Sony 707 prior to us buying her the Fuji
S7000 and she 'preferred the front pinch style lens cap of the Sony to
the outside grip style of the Fuji.

Now she also has the Fuji adaptor tube for the WA lens so the Fuji cap
won't fit anyway so we do need to buy something.

Any idea where we can get one (or two / 55mm) of these things at the
'right price' [1] in the UK please? Maybe your camera has such so at
least we know what make to go after (or one in yer 'bits box' maybe?

All the best ..

T i m

[1] I know I'm looking for a 'photographic equipment' but these are
lens caps not lenses so I would hope it was under 5 GBP! ;-)
Old August 8th 06, 01:03 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Roy G

"T i m" wrote in message
Hi All,

My daughter tried a mates Sony 707 prior to us buying her the Fuji
S7000 and she 'preferred the front pinch style lens cap of the Sony to
the outside grip style of the Fuji.

Now she also has the Fuji adaptor tube for the WA lens so the Fuji cap
won't fit anyway so we do need to buy something.

Any idea where we can get one (or two / 55mm) of these things at the
'right price' [1] in the UK please? Maybe your camera has such so at
least we know what make to go after (or one in yer 'bits box' maybe?

All the best ..

T i m

[1] I know I'm looking for a 'photographic equipment' but these are
lens caps not lenses so I would hope it was under 5 GBP! ;-)

Hi.

Almost all photographic retailers sell lens caps.

Have a look at www.jessops.com ,

www.warehouseexpress.com ,

www.7dayshop.com etc.

The prices might be a little more than you expect, this sort of thing is
where they make their money.

Roy G

Old August 8th 06, 01:48 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
T i m

On Tue, 08 Aug 2006 12:03:36 GMT, "Roy G"
wrote:

Hi.

Almost all photographic retailers sell lens caps.

Have a look at www.jessops.com ,

www.warehouseexpress.com ,

www.7dayshop.com etc.

The prices might be a little more than you expect, this sort of thing is
where they make their money.

Hi Roy,

Thanks for the links (and I've checked all the sites but as I couldn't
see anything suitable, emailed all of them so will see) but I don't
think it's as easy as that? ;-(

Everyone seems to stock (as aftermarket 'add-on' or spare replacement)
the std edge pinch lens cap but not the design where you pinch them in
the middle at the front (as I believe comes with some Sony and Minolta
digi-cams)?

So not only does it have to be that particular style but 55mm ?

All the best and you never know .. one of the above might also have
summat in their 'bits box' that's not shown on their web sites .. ;-)

T i m
Old August 8th 06, 02:47 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
ASAAR

On Tue, 08 Aug 2006 12:48:58 GMT, T i m wrote:

Everyone seems to stock (as aftermarket 'add-on' or spare replacement)
the std edge pinch lens cap but not the design where you pinch them in
the middle at the front (as I believe comes with some Sony and Minolta
digi-cams)?

Unless you think that they'll cost too much, why not try to get a
Sony or Minolta lens cap. They've probably got one that will fit
55mm lens threads.

Now she also has the Fuji adaptor tube for the WA lens so the Fuji cap
won't fit anyway so we do need to buy something.

Do you mean that she keeps the adapter tube attached even when the
WA lens isn't being used? If so, she may want to check it to see if
it interferes with the S7000's pop-up flash. If it does, it will
probably be with the lens zoomed to a wide position. I have Fuji's
S5100, and found that it not only blocked part of the flash's light,
but the light that reflected off the black tube sometimes caused
parts of subject's faces to pick up an orange tint. If a hot shoe
mounted flash is used with the S7000 there should be no problem, but
unfortunately that's not an option with the S5100.

Old August 8th 06, 02:48 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Roy G

wrote:

[...]

Hi again.

You could not have looked very hard.

Go to 7Dayshop dot com.

Select Photography All product types Hama.

Then click on the search button.

Hama Super Lens Cap 55mm Internal Mechanism 2.39

Roy G

Old August 8th 06, 03:16 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
J. Clarke

T i m wrote:

Hi All,

My daughter tried a mates Sony 707 prior to us buying her the Fuji
S7000 and she 'preferred the front pinch style lens cap of the Sony to
the outside grip style of the Fuji.

Now she also has the Fuji adaptor tube for the WA lens so the Fuji cap
won't fit anyway so we do need to buy something.

Any idea where we can get one (or two / 55mm) of these things at the
'right price' [1] in the UK please? Maybe your camera has such so at
least we know what make to go after (or one in yer 'bits box' maybe?

All the best ..

T i m

[1] I know I'm looking for a 'photographic equipment' but these are
lens caps not lenses so I would hope it was under 5 GBP! ;-)

Obvious thing to do is find a camera with the type of cap you want and the
right filter thread and order a replacement from the manufacturer. In the
US one could go to Best Buy or Circuit City or the like and look at a
variety of models--presumably there's an equivalent in the UK. If the cap
for the Panasonic FZ30 is designed like the one for the FZ7, it should do
(the one for the FZ7 actually has no trouble with a 55mm thread even though
it's nominally 52mm--the FZ30 is 55mm). Panasonic lists it for $3.41 on
their US parts-ordering site, not sure how one orders parts in the UK. The
part number is VYK1P30 if that's any help.

--
--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
Old August 8th 06, 04:19 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Neil Ellwood

Have a look on www.ebay.co.uk
--
Neil
Delete l to reply
Old August 8th 06, 04:53 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
T i m

On Tue, 08 Aug 2006 13:48:05 GMT, "Roy G"
wrote:

Thanks for the links (and I've checked all the sites but as I couldn't
see anything suitable, emailed all of them so will see) but I don't
think it's as easy as that? ;-(

Hi again.

Hi Roy,

You could not have looked very hard.

I think I might have looked 'too hard' ;-(

Go to 7Dayshop dot com.

Select Photography All product types Hama.

Then click on the search button.

Hama Super Lens Cap 55mm Internal Mechanism 2.39

Brilliant ;-)

So I wonder why it doesn't come up when you go:

Photography Lens caps All manufacturers ..? shrug

Well, at least we (you) have found what we were after and I'm due to
order from them again soon so it looks like it might work out well ;-)

Thanks again for your time / help Roy ..

All the best ..

T i m
Old August 8th 06, 04:56 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
T i m

On Tue, 08 Aug 2006 10:16:28 -0400, "J. Clarke"
wrote:

Obvious thing to do is find a camera with the type of cap you want and the
right filter thread and order a replacement from the manufacturer.

I sorta suggested the same whilst in the shop buying the WA lens but
it didn't seem many cameras in stock used such a cap (and the one that
did was a

Old August 8th 06, 04:58 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
T i m

On Tue, 08 Aug 2006 10:16:28 -0400, "J. Clarke"
wrote:

Oooops .. musta hit summat by accident and it sent unfinished ;-(

Obvious thing to do is find a camera with the type of cap you want and the
right filter thread and order a replacement from the manufacturer.

What I was going to say was I sorta suggested the same whilst in the
shop buying the WA lens but it didn't seem many cameras in stock that
used such a cap (and the one that did was a Minolta and he suggested
it would probably be expensive *if* you could actually still get one).

In the
US one could go to Best Buy or Circuit City or the like and look at a
variety of models--presumably there's an equivalent in the UK.

Possibly, though noting within easy reach of us here (the local camera
shop is literally a short walk to the top of the road and after that
I've no idea .. not being into photography for many years now). ;-(

If the cap
for the Panasonic FZ30 is designed like the one for the FZ7, it should do
(the one for the FZ7 actually has no trouble with a 55mm thread even though
it's nominally 52mm--the FZ30 is 55mm). Panasonic lists it for $3.41 on
their US parts-ordering site, not sure how one orders parts in the UK. The
part number is VYK1P30 if that's any help.

It might well be .. ;-)

http://shop.panasonic.co.uk/icat/dmcfz30ebk

As long as they have them back in stock and depending on the postage
etc ..?

So, for the 'ideal' solution this depends on the cap for the FZ30
being the same pinch style as the FZ7 ..?

All the best and thanks for the lateral thinking ;-)

T i m